Fragile Gods - "The Digital Divide" (music video added Jan 18)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Allomerus wrote:Like the mix of sounds which sound empty yet full at the same time! ;)
Yes, I like using a minimal set of sounds and giving them a lot of space to breathe.
Allomerus wrote: Interesting lyrics and enjoyed the disembodied vocal style... :)
Well done...
"Disembodied" is right on the money since this is one of my sci-fi songs where the protagonist's consciousness was transferred into a machine before he died. :borg:

Thanks for your insightful comments. :)

noxial wrote:Sounds Good. A bit weird for me, but still, it sounds nice. Good Job.
Weird is good as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for checking this out.

Too clinical, cold and mechanical for me. Sorry.
There's something in that track as if life has been extracted from -almost- each sound.
Brrrrrrr ....

Well, I tried.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Klovxr wrote:Not my style at all, but really well made! Seems you have put a lot of time into this.
Thanks for checking this out Klovxr. Yes, many Saturdays were spent working on this. :)

I've lost count of the number of times I've played it, but I must be in double figures now. I liked the vocals. They are quite "up-front" but very clear and intelligible, and the delivery here works very well. I also liked the lyrics themselves, they gave me a sort of "Tron" vibe. Great synth programming here too, Numanesque. I didn't notice the percussion. That's not a negative thing. After the fifth listen or so, I listened to it deliberately, and it seems to be a great fit for this track. I liked the mix, which had lots of space, and wasn't congested. I read comments saying that the track has a "cold" feel or sound. I got that too, but I think that was probably intended, and it works for me. With luck, you should be able to finish the album this year. No pressure.

Good work 8)

polyslax wrote::tu: Sounds good Frantz! Kinda wraps a Numan, DM, early Simple Minds vibe all up in one.

The only weak spot for me was the synth solo before the final chorus... thought you could have done something a little more adventurous there. Also, maybe just me but I thought the track could stand to be a hair faster (bpms).
Thanks for your comments Mr. Slax. Although I didn't have any of the bands you mentioned in mind, that particular era is a huge influence on me.

I am actually pleased you are complaining about the synth solo instead of the vox for a change. :wink: One of the challenges of the pop song format is making the middle eight interesting but not too different so that you can naturally return to the chorus. In any case, it is a fair comment -- something to think about next time.

Yes, the tempo is slow on this one - 105 bpm. However, the chorus is wordy and would be difficult to enunciate clearly at a faster tempo.

Love it. Very 80's, and quite in German new wave sauce, I think of Der Plan the the like. Brilliant.

Jace-BeOS wrote:Actually I had the sense of early Depeche Mode vibe as well. I'll have to give it a better listen from a proper device later. :-)

Was there an effect on your voice, like subtle ring modulation maybe?
Thanks for checking this out. There are a lot of effects on my voice. On this song, the vocals first went through a hardware Drawmer TubeStation TS1. Then inside the DAW, Fab Filter DS -> Studio Devil VTP -> The Glue -> The Drop -> EQuick -> Lexicon Reverb. This is probably overkill but I keep piling on effects until I think it sounds decent. I especially like how The Drop can be used on vocals to color the sound.

Lotuzia wrote:Too clinical, cold and mechanical for me. Sorry.
There's something in that track as if life has been extracted from -almost- each sound.
yeah, but there's still something left in that void. that's what makes it fascinating.

i'll be frank - if it wasn't for your voice, i'd consider this track boring, i think. the vocals give this meaning. and it makes the whole thing work - i mean, it makes the arrangement work in turn as well, you know?
i love this alchemy thing with music. add or subtract a thing and it suddenly all makes sense - in my case it's probably more substraction than in yours, cause i'm overeclectic.

:borg: I happen to like clinical, cold music. In this case, I think it fits with the lyrics. Thanks anyway for checking it out.

Frantz,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your tune: audio quality is good all around. Nice synths. That one synth note lasts longer than I'd do, but not a big deal. Good you added vocals. I like the vocal melody better on the chorus than the verse. Nice song! See you on the other side!
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Frantz wrote:
:borg: I happen to like clinical, cold music. In this case, I think it fits with the lyrics. Thanks anyway for checking it out.
a quick outburst of warmth with an emotional melody in a chorus section or something, that can add another dimension to a song like that. i'd say, get more confident about your melodic skills, then you can play with those contrasts more. not that every song has to be like that, of course.

you got the voice to carry songs already, just a bit more pitch and you can do anything!

seismic1 wrote:I've lost count of the number of times I've played it, but I must be in double figures now. I liked the vocals. They are quite "up-front" but very clear and intelligible, and the delivery here works very well. I also liked the lyrics themselves, they gave me a sort of "Tron" vibe. Great synth programming here too, Numanesque. I didn't notice the percussion. That's not a negative thing. After the fifth listen or so, I listened to it deliberately, and it seems to be a great fit for this track. I liked the mix, which had lots of space, and wasn't congested. I read comments saying that the track has a "cold" feel or sound. I got that too, but I think that was probably intended, and it works for me. With luck, you should be able to finish the album this year. No pressure.
Thanks very much for the thoughtful comments. I'm glad you liked the vocals. They are always a source of concern. :phew:

Although I saw the original Tron when it came out, I don't remember much about it. The lyrics are one of my original mini sci-fi stories compressed into a pop song.

All parts, including the drums, were originally played on the keyboard. Most parts were quantized and looped giving them that programmed sound. I understand why the drums are not jumping out of the mix. They are mixed fairly low. Minimal parts given a lot of space is definitely the idea here. So is coldness. It's the aesthetic I'm going for.

I'm not a big Numan fan but both he and I are John Foxx fans. Perhaps that's the influence you are hearing.

Mastering an album seems like a lot of work. I think I'll keep writing songs and worry about an album later.

Frantz wrote:
All parts, including the drums, were originally played on the keyboard. Most parts were quantized and looped giving them that programmed sound. I understand why the drums are not jumping out of the mix. They are mixed fairly low. Minimal parts given a lot of space is definitely the idea here. So is coldness. It's the aesthetic I'm going for.
It works very well :tu:

Sounds professionally made... not much I can say in the way of feedback other than just keep doing whatever you're doing in the mixing stage.. its awesome...

Return to “Music Cafe”