Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Teksonik wrote:
mike the mental wrote:would like to add my own folder to my dexed_cart?
Maybe unzip the file, add your folder and then zip it up again ?
Yes, it is the solution. And I think that for the moment it is the ONLY solution. The problem is that we must be very aware that what one adds manually... will be lost if one day this person download an update of my cart.

That's the main reason why I asked a few weeks ago this feature which would be very nice to guarantee that each one can make whatever he wants with a cart without loosing others sysex files as soon as they can be better placed in another cart:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9#p5876999

Of course not necessarily exactly as I described... but a feature inspired to this idea in order to allow several zip carts.
:)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Ingonator wrote:
mike the mental wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
mike the mental wrote:Hey guys is this the BlackWinny bank? Did I do it right?
You've got a lot more banks that I do in my cart. I must have an older version......... :?
I downloaded this one, maybe it's a newer version?

http://black.winny.free.fr/MAO/Dexed/Dexed_cart_1.0.zip
I also got that latest version Dexed and it sesm to work properly.

Besides that i had unzipped the file and found it includes around 3800 Sysex files, each with up to 32 patches (while some have only a few patches inside).

I am currently importing those Sysex files into NI FM8 (the import creates single files for each patch). Already finished 1000 of the SYX files. If i calcuate how many patches the imported files include and how many are remaining there must be around 80000 (!!) single patches in those banks. Many of those Sysex files seemed to be broken, at least when trying to import them in FM8.

Sorting those for eliminating duplicates wil be the next problem. If i copy al patches in one folder it is obvious that there are tons of dublicates.

Simpy overwriting patches with similar patch names does not work as patches with similar names could be actually different. Also checked using some free programs that could find duplicates but those do not seem to work with either the FM8 files. Also sorting by the exact file s size (compressed size) in bytes does not really help as even similar patches could have a difference of up to 10 bytes while on the other hand patches that are actually different could have a smaller differences than that (while ther could be also bug differences).

A simple solution would be either finding a software that succesfuly deletes duplicates or find a patch format that could be sorted by the software i already checked. That format must be easily be imported then so there are not too many options.
It is the main problem I've met to make this compilation. I have needed more than six months to hunt and remove the maximum of dupes among the sysex files. A hunt for dupes inside the patches themselves (not among the sysex, but inside the patches themselves) would have needed years. That's one of the two reasons why I have preferred to retrieve the original versions (when it was possible)... and sort my collection by authors instead of any other way (the other reason being that I always prefer to give back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar).

I suggest you, Ingo (and all those who have not yet done it), to read the file "Version and Readme.txt" that I have written and put at the root of the zip file.
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

This ingenious system of zip carts in Dexed is really something which is missing in the Database working of FM8, among all its excellent features. Native Instruments should hire Pascal!
:D

I had found this colection of 8000+ DX7 patches in FM8 format:
http://patcharena.com/downloads/comment ... a7128e4121

It could be possible that this represents a properly sorted collection of all avaiable free patches without duplicates but it is not sure of course. Will try to compare when i managed to import all Sysex files of Black Winny's collection into FM8.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Teksonik wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:
Aloysius wrote: I remember in the eighties only about five people in the known universe were able to properly program a DX7.
Unfortunately, nobody knew which these five people were.

/Joachim

Yes we did........ :wink:
Yep :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Only about twelve people knew who those five people were.
Unfortunately, nobody knows who the other ten were. ;-)
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

lesson time folks.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r8WfV8qpXM

EDIT......has everyone dusted off their old DX7's?, :lol:
Last edited by pathworker on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music is the language of the soul.

The best music comes from the heart of the performer or composer.

Ingonator wrote: I am currently importing those Sysex files into NI FM8 (the import creates single files for each patch)
Do you want to import this one as well ? EDIT 2: Ummm I guess not..... :lol:

Tek's Bank

These are the 32 patches that were in my TX7 when I sold it some years ago. Some of them are originals.....Harmonixx, Organicus, Robotroid, Regen 5 are some that come to mind right off. The rest are collected over the years. Not a best of bank but just what was in the TX the day I shipped it off.......... :)

EDIT: I forgot that FM8 does not import this bank very accurately but Dexed imports them pretty much as I remember them..........

Damn I killed this thread dead as a door nail........... :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
I don't think my post helped either.......

.........Hope is not lost however. The post may yet rise again like a phoeniix. :)

Help requirted
As some will be awae i have started work on a user guide for DeXed. however I only have experience in windows machines and would be glad of a step by step guide for installing DeXed on Linux and mac systems

If anyone can provide that info PM me with the info so I can add it to the slowly evolving guide. Also let me know if you want an acknowlegement attributed to your input

thanks in advance fore any assistance.

[ corrected typing errors]
Last edited by pathworker on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teksonik wrote:
Ingonator wrote: I am currently importing those Sysex files into NI FM8 (the import creates single files for each patch)
Do you want to import this one as well ? EDIT 2: Ummm I guess not..... :lol:

Tek's Bank

These are the 32 patches that were in my TX7 when I sold it some years ago. Some of them are originals.....Harmonixx, Organicus, Robotroid, Regen 5 are some that come to mind right off. The rest are collected over the years. Not a best of bank but just what was in the TX the day I shipped it off.......... :)

EDIT: I forgot that FM8 does not import this bank very accurately but Dexed imports them pretty much as I remember them..........

Hi,

just downloaded and will check as soon as i find time. At the moment there is too much Betatesting and sound design work to spend much time on FM but will try to go back to it ASAP.

If programmed properly FM seems to be insanely versatile but still hard to program it from scratch (at least for me).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

pathworker wrote:lesson time folks.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r8WfV8qpXM

EDIT......has everyone dusted off their old DX7's?, :lol:
save almost an hour of your life's valuable time by skipping to 46:30 where he actually
starts talking about editing FM synthesis :x
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

yeah he does take his time doesnt he. but to be fair FM was new to the public at large at the time.

repost deleted as unneccesary overhead
Last edited by pathworker on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

double post deleted

Good lord, have I murdered this thread ??? :oops:

Hmm, I'm not sure how or when this happened, but my overall "level" knob is right next to the middle C knob is constantly set to full. It's basically just making every patch sound too loud, and self distorting. I can still change all the operators levels individually and lower overall volume that way, but that's super tedious.

I can, however, still lower the overall level knob by going in to Cubase "generic" mode and lowering it there. It will stay lowered at that point too, but I still can't move the knob.

Essentially, the knob is stuck on full, and I can't move it from the GUI. Any one else have this problem, know if it's a standard problem, or have a suggestion?
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

Return to “Instruments”