One Synth Challenge #73 special: Synthmaster (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Awesome. This seems the perfect opportunity to learn about this synth that I've heard so many good things about. Question, I know there are tons of presets, are they all up okay to use as long as no samples were used? Ie, the paid ones or are we sticking to only the 800 presets that come with the vsti and maybe free banks. Cheers
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:Awesome. This seems the perfect opportunity to learn about this synth that I've heard so many good things about. Question, I know there are tons of presets, are they all up okay to use as long as no samples were used? Ie, the paid ones or are we sticking to only the 800 presets that come with the vsti and maybe free banks. Cheers
If you're using the 800 just make sure you don't use the ones in the list on page 1 in green. If using a bank, it's hard to tell, but use your judgement. Most banks don't have SFZ/samples. But a few do, and they are usually larger (like a few megabytes).

bjporter wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I'll probably design all my own presets but which ones that came with the synth are allowed? When I bought mine last year I got a ton of extra banks for it because the price was too good to pass up and I don't remember which banks came stock with the synth. Does anybody have a list of the stock banks?
Only one Synthmaster bank is full of samples, and that is the Nori Ubukata Art Rock Basics. If the bank file is like a megabyte, it's probably all synth patches. If it's a few megabytes or larger, it might have a SFZ/sample snuck in there somewhere, so use your best judgement.
I wish it were that simple.

Here is a list of all the banks that "came" with Synthmaster because when I bought it, I included the extra banks in my purchase.

Alyn Zahev Expansion 1 and 2
Art Rock Basics
Big Tone Signature Sounds Vol 1
Dawn of Electronic Music Vol 1 and 2
EDM Expansion 2 through 5
EDM House Expansion 1
Factory Presets
Historic Synth Giants Vol 1 - 4
Insigna Essentials 4 Clubbin
MK Expansion 2
Online Presets
Pop Hits Vol 1 and 2
Sounds of the World

I have no idea which expansions would have come with Synthmaster had I just purchased the synth by itself. In fact, if I recall correctly, the deal I got came with certain banks extra and the rest I paid separately for. It was a long time ago so my memory isn't so good.

But that's what I have. No clue, outside of maybe Factory Presets, what I can and can't use.

cool i own Synthmaster with all expansions. :hihi:

I'll take a deeper look into them, but I know from the Synthmaster site, this one is the only one not legit: Art Rock Basics

Okay I understand now, thanks bjporter. Just messing around with it for a few minutes and can tell this OSC is going to be amazing! This synth is really incredible just for the player version. You blokes with the full version and all expansions are have it made. Maybe I'll get the full version soon and some more expansions. I'd really like to go deeper into some of this sounds I'm hearing.

I'm guessing it is possible to share presets between versions right. I'll keep a lookout for some more drum patches, the ones include are good, great, but I can't exactly go in and program them to my liking. If anyone could share a psy kick that would be of great help. Just a really punchy snappy kick with not too much low end. Cheers.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I have a question that doesn't seem to be covered in the rules.

Are we allowed to use an external sequencer to program arpeggios and sequences into the synth?

The reason I'm asking is because Synthmaster itself has an arpeggiator but IMO it's limited. I'd like to be able to do some fancy sequencing without having to go through the pain of entering the notes into a MIDI track manually, which I can do if I have to. It would just make life a lot easier if I could use an external sequencer.

Is this allowed?

What are the demo limitations, can I save presets or would I have to just stream some waves. Thinking of installing the demo so I can tweak some patches..

TTU Youtube

wagtunes wrote:I have a question that doesn't seem to be covered in the rules.

Are we allowed to use an external sequencer to program arpeggios and sequences into the synth?

The reason I'm asking is because Synthmaster itself has an arpeggiator but IMO it's limited. I'd like to be able to do some fancy sequencing without having to go through the pain of entering the notes into a MIDI track manually, which I can do if I have to. It would just make life a lot easier if I could use an external sequencer.

Is this allowed?
That sounds fine :tu:

Tjgoa wrote:What are the demo limitations, can I save presets or would I have to just stream some waves. Thinking of installing the demo so I can tweak some patches..

Synthmaster Demo (Not player of course) limitations are listed here on this page: http://www.kv331audio.com/synthmasterfaq.aspx

Tjgoa wrote:Okay I understand now, thanks bjporter. Just messing around with it for a few minutes and can tell this OSC is going to be amazing! This synth is really incredible just for the player version. You blokes with the full version and all expansions are have it made. Maybe I'll get the full version soon and some more expansions. I'd really like to go deeper into some of this sounds I'm hearing.

I'm guessing it is possible to share presets between versions right. I'll keep a lookout for some more drum patches, the ones include are good, great, but I can't exactly go in and program them to my liking. If anyone could share a psy kick that would be of great help. Just a really punchy snappy kick with not too much low end. Cheers.
Let me tell you something about the full version that you might find off putting. At least many people have expressed these feelings though I personally love the synth.

The GUI is ugly as sin. Because the synth is so deep, it takes a while to get around it. Finding things, at first, is not easy. Some find it difficult to program and just end up using the presets. If you're not into programming, none of this will matter to you. The browser is, IMO, excellent and it's easy to find the sounds you want as everything is categorized.

Just thought you'd want to know this before you took the plunge.

Personally, it's in my top 10 synths somewhere. Hard to say where with so many great ones that I've been fortunate enough to be able to get. But this one was my first paid for synth. My 2nd was Zebra 2.

Wow, this synth is absoletly incredible! How on earth did I overlook this thing. Stunned really. There's a good chance I'm picking this up soon.

TTU Youtube

wagtunes wrote:Let me tell you something about the full version that you might find off putting. At least many people have expressed these feelings though I personally love the synth.

The GUI is ugly as sin. Because the synth is so deep, it takes a while to get around it. Finding things, at first, is not easy. Some find it difficult to program and just end up using the presets. If you're not into programming, none of this will matter to you. The browser is, IMO, excellent and it's easy to find the sounds you want as everything is categorized.
Very interesting perspective. I thought it was a phenomenal design, but it's very different from other synths, which means it requires a bit more thought before going 'to town' on preset design. The layer tabs seem to make it much more complex, but is that because of the layer tabs (which so many options inside)? Not sure. It had so much power it was bewildering at first... maybe part of the problem... or maybe a blessing?

BTW, wagtunes, is there a way to search the presets in Synthmaster? I see Player has a handy search box.

wagtunes wrote:
Tjgoa wrote:Okay I understand now, thanks bjporter. Just messing around with it for a few minutes and can tell this OSC is going to be amazing! This synth is really incredible just for the player version. You blokes with the full version and all expansions are have it made. Maybe I'll get the full version soon and some more expansions. I'd really like to go deeper into some of this sounds I'm hearing.

Let me tell you something about the full version that you might find off putting. At least many people have expressed these feelings though I personally love the synth.

Just thought you'd want to know this before you took the plunge.

Personally, it's in my top 10 synths somewhere. Hard to say where with so many great ones that I've been fortunate enough to be able to get. But this one was my first paid for synth. My 2nd was Zebra 2.
Yes, the gui might be one of the reasons I overlooked this thing. Last time I tried it I checked out some of the presets and they were good and for some reason never came back to it. I love programming sounds so getting into it deeper is a must. If I remember correctly, I think I had playback issues last time where all output was chopped up like too much cpu etc. That too was probably the reason this fell off the radar, but for some reason the player version is playing flawlessly. Will check out the demo to see if that's playing smoothly. Cheers

TTU Youtube

I agree with wagtunes, I think the GUI is ugly. I bought this synth a while ago because it sounds great, but dealing with the poor interface is irritating so I almost never use it. That being said, I'm glad there is a mac compatible synth this month and I'm looking forward to participating.

Return to “Instruments”