Modular Synths...What Am I Missing?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:
Um, those are hardware, right?

Oh i checked the first post again and noticed that your only looking for software modulars :dog:

My bad
:borg:

wagtunes wrote: Um, those are hardware, right?
Seems like most people are ignoring the part where you want to create VST's.
whyterabbyt has pretty much nailed your only options.
That or learn C++ and the Steinberg SDK ?

Acid Mitch wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Um, those are hardware, right?
Seems like most people are ignoring the part where you want to create VST's.
whyterabbyt has pretty much nailed your only options.
That or learn C++ and the Steinberg SDK ?
I'm always open to a new modular soft synth even if it can't create its own, but hardware is definitely out of the question. If it can't fit in my PC I'm not interested.

wagtunes wrote:
I'm always open to a new modular soft synth even if it can't create its own, but hardware is definitely out of the question. If it can't fit in my PC I'm not interested.
So other than not being able to export VST's, what are your current modulars not doing that you'd like them to do ?

Other than what you have, and what's been mentioned most other choices are semi modular, which you say you don't want.

Acid Mitch wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
So other than not being able to export VST's, what are your current modulars not doing that you'd like them to do ?

Other than what you have, and what's been mentioned most other choices are semi modular, which you say you don't want.
Aside from having something like SynthEdit (which I'd get if I could create 64 bit VSTs) some of my current modulars are pretty much what I'm looking for, flexible and virtually unlimited.

My current favorites because they are truly modular

Sonigen Modular
KarmaFX
MUX
Reaktor (which would be perfect if it could create VSTs)

Others I have that I consider semi modular (limitations on number of modules, routings, etc)

XILS 4
Arturia Modular V
Zebra 2

These are all really cool to play around with, especially the first 2.

Like I said, I'm always open to trying out other modular synths because each one has its own little quirks. Had I stopped with my first one (Sonigen Modular) I wouldn't have discovered all the interesting and different things you can do with some of the others, not to mention the differences in the sounds themselves.

To get all the quirks won't you have to buy all the modulars :?: :lol:
There aren't nearly as many virtual modulars as fixed architecture synths so your choices are a bit limited.
With Reaktor you should be able to emulate most quirks from other devices and put them in ensembles your building.
Having said that, you should probably try Tassman for the physical modelling stuff, even if it does look out dated.
Have you tried patching together semi's in something like Bidule to overcome some of the limitations in module count ?

You also maybe interested in Oddity 2. Although not strictly a modular, they have added a modulation system that is more akin to automation than typical sound shaping where you have extra LFO's and envelopes to assign to individual parameters or groups of parameters, so for certain kinds of sounds it can take the place of a modular and make patch building a bit quicker..
And it looks like you might be missing some ARP action from your list. :hihi:

ArE you using anything like Synth Squads Fusor or the Korg Legacy thingy that let you combine parts from various synths ?

Combinator in Reason does something similar. I think Reason was suggested because the whole environment is more or less modular.Not because it contains a modular synth, although combinator and the included synth modules kind of make up for that.

I am actually considering Reason but am waiting until I have the extra funds for it. It is a bit pricey but it's definitely on my watch list. Love the way Thor sounds and what you can do with it by itself. Probably after I do my taxes in April and get my refund, I'll look into it.

wagtunes wrote: Reaktor (which would be perfect if it could create VSTs)
What's wrong with Reaktor ensembles?

CC4 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Reaktor (which would be perfect if it could create VSTs)
What's wrong with Reaktor ensembles?
They're fine but for others to use them they also have to have Reaktor. I'm looking to make VSTs that anybody can use.

As far as personal use, I love Reaktor. I could get lost in that thing all day and never put a dent in it.

A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians. - FZ

Teezdalien wrote:What about Sonic Birth?

http://sonicbirth.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
It's MAC only. I'm on Windows.

I'm mainly on OSX to I haven't really played with it much but WREN is an interesting looking software modular being designed by a long-time Nord Modular contributor.

Still in Alpha and possibly janky but Bluehell knows his stuff! :tu:

secretkillerofnames wrote:I'm mainly on OSX to I haven't really played with it much but WREN is an interesting looking software modular being designed by a long-time Nord Modular contributor.

Still in Alpha and possibly janky but Bluehell knows his stuff! :tu:
Yeah, I actually checked this out a while ago. Too complex an installation process. Gotta have all these DLLs and they all gotta be in certain places and yada, yada, yada.

When he comes out with a clean no muss, no fuss installation, I'll check it out.

Also, this off the site:

WREN is not a product, but a hobby project that got out of control a bit. This software ain't good for anything and it will crash your PC too.
That being out of the way, for questions or remarks please use the forum I made for this. I do hang out at the electr-music chatromm too at times. I'm open for requests, but do not promise anything. I may fix bugs when it's easy to do so too!
Contributions are welcome :-)

Plus, it's not a VST so unusable for me.

No thanks. I'll pass.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”