Why don't developers offer payment in instalments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to buy Evoke by Toneboosters, I'll ask him for a 12 months payment plan! :P

Burillo wrote:basslinemaster, what you fail to realize is just because you use the word "sell" doesn't mean it's not effectively a loan. a loan doesn't become a sale when you call it a sale - it's still a loan. a developer LOANS you the right to use the full version on the condition that you pay for it in installments. DRM, no DRM, coupons, automated, manual, doesn't matter - it's still a financing scheme, so a loan by definition. regardless of how it works. if you don't pay the full price outright - that's a loan, end of story. Joe the developer's product costs X, so he sells it to you but he's not getting X until three months later, despite the sale happening now. how is that not a loan? why is this so hard to understand, and why do you keep thinking that "BUT IT'S A SALE, NOT A LOAN BECAUSE I USE THE WORD SALE INSTEAD OF LOAN" is a valid argument to support your position?
So if a developer sells a VST that expires after a month, for £33, and doesn't sell an 'unexpiring' version at all, is that still a 'loan'? What are they loaning to you? It isn't a financing scheme, because you are buying two different products. Why are you so desperate for this to be a 'loan'? So you can poo poo the idea by making out that the developer will have to somehow become embroiled in financial legalities, as they are now 'issuing credit', or some other such nonsense.

The developer can't "loan you the right to use the full version on the condition that you pay for it in instalments". How are they "loaning you the right to use the FULL version"?

Let's say that a developer sold a cheap VST, not very powerful, for £33, and you buy it. And they have a second, not very powerful VST, for £33, and they say that if you buy both of those cheap VSTs, they will give you 20 points, and you can get £66 off their £99, much better VST, and thus buy it for £33. Is that a 'loan'?

I think you'll find you're wrong about all of this... If you mean 'credit', then say 'credit', a 'loan' and 'credit' are two different things anyway... and this is neither... because you don't get the FULL product at the beginning. With all credit agreements, you get the complete product at the beginning. Do you buy a house and only get access to one room for the first five years, and then get access to a second room? Or do you buy a TV and only get access to one third of the screen for the first month? etc.

The one month expiry product is different (obviously) to the unexpiring product. Therefore they are three separate sales, for two different products...

Yes, that's a loan. With the plugin being repo'd if you don't make all the payments.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

Dominus wrote:Yes, that's a loan. With the plugin being repo'd if you don't make all the payments.
I given up. He is addicted to his idea...
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

basslinemaster wrote:... and EVERY customer sends you a support e-mail which takes you ten minutes to answer (which is never going to happen, but say it does)
Are we talking support as in "i've forgotten my password" or "your plugin crashes or glitches occasionally when this combination of hosts and drivers is used etc etc etc... but only when I use two instances with plugin Xs gui also open......................"

Yeah, ten minutes, everytime.

GaryG wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:... and EVERY customer sends you a support e-mail which takes you ten minutes to answer (which is never going to happen, but say it does)
Are we talking support as in "i've forgotten my password" or "your plugin crashes or glitches occasionally when this combination of hosts and drivers is used etc etc etc... but only when I use two instances with plugin Xs gui also open......................"

Yeah, ten minutes, everytime.
Ten minutes, 99£... ten minutes, 99£... ten minutes, 99£...
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Drugs

Not the reason why devs don't do payment plans. The reason for the existence of this thread.

https://www.lennardigital.com/store/

"The full version of Sylenth1 is available for €139 (ex. VAT) or only €9.95 Euro* monthly!"

"How the payment plan works
You can purchase Sylenth1 and pay in monthly installments of only €9.95 Euro (incl. VAT), until the full amount has been reached. We will send your license within minutes after the first payment is received, so you can start using Sylenth1 right away!"

"The subscription can be stopped and resumed any time you like, using the Stop/Resume button on your account page. During the time it's stopped, your license will be on hold. When resumed, the plan will continue where you left off. When you have paid all installments, the subscription stops and you keep the full license! Also, you can pay off the remaining balance at any time."

"Please note that your computer needs to be connected to the internet when using the payment plan (at least once each month). If you need to use Sylenth1 on an offline computer, it's recommended to purchase in a single payment instead."

LOL.

https://splice.com/plugins

"Rent-to-Own Essentials. Try any software free, then pay-as-you go until you own it."

Studio One 5, Serum, Bitwig, Pigments 3, all available on pay as you go until you own it. EXACTLY what the original poster was suggesting. Any of you who said he was wrong have anything to say? Like admitting that YOU were wrong?
Go back and read every single post attacking the OP for his idea, then look at https://splice.com/plugins, it's hilarious. All so sure of yourselves, yet you were all clearly wrong... Splice obviously works for developers, which is why more and more of them are using it.

Arturia has a way to split up the price into payments.

I went to the Splice website and noticed that they need to update some parts of it.
For instance it has info for Hive v1, FX Collection 2 and V Collection 8. The original version of Hive was released in 2015.

curious why someone has resurrected a 7 year dead thread just to have a pop?
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Especially as still very few developers offer this...

chk071 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:07 pm Especially as still very few developers offer this...
I counted 16 unique devs on the R2O page on Splice, which one can hardly argue as any kind of monumental shift in how developers sell to their customers. It's great that some companies are offering it, but there's a long way to go before it could be considered 'the norm'.
Always Read the Manual!

Save up in installments.

Most credit cards have a way to put any purchase in payment plans. This is really a non issue
dedication to flying

Googly Smythe wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:32 pm Save up in installments.
Yeah, it's not as if you're shelling out thousands of €.

Return to “Instruments”