One Synth Challenge #73 special: Synthmaster (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SoundGoddess wrote:... I thought perhaps the point of the challenge was to try to design your own sounds from scratch? ... using an ARP generator (blue arp?), it's cool if I use the Bitwig Drum Machine, dropping Synthmaster instances into each drum pad?
Well, the purpose is to compose an entire track. It helps to design your own sounds but it's fine to use presets, too. Maybe someone knows how to determine if the presets use soundfonts.. I'll try to figure out tonight.

ARPs are fine to use (though not commercial ones, Bitwig arp is fine).

And yep it's fine to stack multiple instances of the synth for a sound or to put it in a drum rack.

Here's how you tell if your SM patch is using a SFZ samples:

Go to the Layer 1 page (or Layer 2 if it's being used as well).
Locate the oscillator section. (lower left corner of the window). Quickly click through the pages for OSC1, OSC2, MOD1, 2, 3, and 4.

If you see any wave forms in the OSC window that look like this:
SFZ1.png
or something like this:
SFZ2.png
You are using SFZ files. Note it's not just a single wave form cycle- but looks like a complete and complex graphic representation of an audio sample.

By contrast here is a single cycle waveform which, if I understand, IS allowed.
Single Cycle Wave form.png
Note how it is not as complexed looking. Also you can click on the waveform window and browse through the wave form directories, if you find the waveform currently being used under the SFZ instrument folder, it's Verboden!

Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Can anyone confirm whether the "player" version will play other user created presets? Like, if I made a bunch of percussion presets, can the free Player users open them?

When I switch my Synthmaster skin to "Player" mode, I still see all the other presets that aren't factory presets. If someone can confirm this, it might be a great way for the free users to get additional sounds (from other participants).

z.prime wrote:Well, the purpose is to compose an entire track.
Ahh okay, well that is a useful challenge to me because I have a tendency to start a lot of tracks and never get around to finishing them ;) So this might give me some extra motivational boost to complete a song, even if I don't win anything!
z.prime wrote:It helps to design your own sounds but it's fine to use presets, too.

Cool, I'll try to design a couple of sounds at least, since I want to put all this time I've invested into learning sound design to good use. But SM everything bundle really has a ton of amazing sounds to pick from.
z.prime wrote:And yep it's fine to stack multiple instances of the synth for a sound or to put it in a drum rack.
Awesome, I wasn't aware that Bitwig let you use vst synths as the basis for drum pads until I tried it. I think that feature will be really helpful.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

jasinski wrote:Can anyone confirm whether the "player" version will play other user created presets? Like, if I made a bunch of percussion presets, can the free Player users open them?
I have the full version, so I can't confirm, but I would think that it supports user presets. On windows I can put user presets into the "My Documents\Synthmaster\Presets" folder.

Here's a couple free preset packs you could try to verify if it works or not:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5315324
http://patcharena.com/free-synth-patche ... nthmaster/
http://www.mediafire.com/download/hkw3q ... .music.zip

If those do work with the player, perhaps you could add the links to the main post so everyone can grab them?
~ good luck ~

Unless the presets are physically built into the player, you should be able to load any presets into it. From my understanding, the only limitation of the player is that you can't modify the presets in any way.

Edit: Removed for 80's SFZ drums.
Last edited by LhaastDaiz on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

According to the website its not possible use 3rd party soundsets in the free player only those provided by KV331 Audio
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Hi guys, I just wanted to say that I fully support using Synthmaster for an OSC and think it's a great choice! The KV331 Audio guy(s) are also incredibly generous, having been giving away free copies of Synthmaster nearly every month and are now providing free copies for a number of participants! I, for one, want to support them as best I can. So, if you don't own it and you don't have 3 prior submissions, you still have the option to buy it. It really is a good sounding synth, you won't be disappointed! Or you can use the free version - seems fair enough to me, honestly. Keep in mind this is not the first commercial synth OSC. Anyway, looking forward to hearing the amazing submissions, I can tell it will be an EPIC month. :)

z.prime wrote:Hi guys, I just wanted to say that I fully support using Synthmaster for an OSC and think it's a great choice! The KV331 Audio guy(s) are also incredibly generous, having been giving away free copies of Synthmaster nearly every month and are now providing free copies for a number of participants! I, for one, want to support them as best I can. So, if you don't own it and you don't have 3 prior submissions, you still have the option to buy it. It really is a good sounding synth, you won't be disappointed! Or you can use the free version - seems fair enough to me, honestly. Keep in mind this is not the first commercial synth OSC. Anyway, looking forward to hearing the amazing submissions, I can tell it will be an EPIC month. :)
I agree. With this synth, I expect the competition to be very competitive because of what this thing can do. It was my first "paid for" synth and I've never regretted it.

Already started on my track. This is probably going to take me weeks to finish because I've decided to really concentrate more on the production end. I don't think I've ever worked on a song that long before but I guess there's a first time for everything.

By the way, loved your track for #72. It's obvious you've been doing this electronic music stuff for a very long time because your tracks are pro level solid.

Maybe someday you can teach me how to do this stuff well. :hihi:

I echo what Wag and Z have said. It's worth the purchase price. Very VERY deep synth. It could technically be the only synth in your kit. It's that versatile.

jasinski wrote:I echo what Wag and Z have said. It's worth the purchase price. Very VERY deep synth. It could technically be the only synth in your kit. It's that versatile.
In a review of the top 54 synths (sometime the last 2 years or so) by Music Radar, they said that they agree that Synthmaster may be the only synth you'll ever need.

I'd agree. That or Zebra 2. You have infinite sonic possibilities with these super synths.

Synthmaster is definitely worth buying. It has a whole lot of features like SFZ support, subtractive, wavetable and additive synthesis, a pretty powerful ARP, lots of great sounding FX. And of course it just sounds amazing. It's not without its flaws, but I do agree that it could be the only synth you need, it was my first and only synth for a good 18 months.
~ good luck ~

SoundGoddess wrote:Synthmaster is definitely worth buying. It has a whole lot of features like SFZ support, subtractive, wavetable and additive synthesis, a pretty powerful ARP, lots of great sounding FX. And of course it just sounds amazing. It's not without its flaws, but I do agree that it could be the only synth you need, it was my first and only synth for a good 18 months.
is the high cpu usage fixed? all new feature do not help, when the cpu usage is to high.
hmm i think i just need to install it again.

Return to “Instruments”