One Synth Challenge #72: Eclipsis by VSTZONE (Richard Semper Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Eclipsis

Mojo42 wrote:

Pffffffffffffffff not really :lol: I listen all entries right in the moment..........that`s a pure nightmare, because I almost love them all *cry*. Can I simply give 5 Points to all? :lol:
I`m afraid then I will get also disqualified right? Okay I will try to make few differences at least. I hope that is enough.
LOLLL :lol:

Yes 5 points is technically fine if you're really truly serious, which I think would make everyone very happy :D but then... it would mean everyone technically is right where they started :o :o ! So it would have a null effect. So does that mean disqualification??? WOW... quantum stuff here :hihi:

I know a lot of people probably won't agree with how I judge these things but I find that it works for me and, in the long run, ends up putting my scores in line with most everybody else's with very few exceptions. For example, last month I picked 3 out of the top 5 as best tracks. Yes, I bombed out on #1 because I just didn't relate to it, but for the most part, my system falls in line with what everybody else is doing.

So what's my system? Well, I got it from judging my own songs (all 6,000 that I've written in 36 years) in trying to determine which ones to send to publishers and/or A&R people and which ones are just crap.

1) Melody - This is key. I don't care how good everything else is. If the melody isn't there, or no melody at all, it's not going to score high.

2) Harmony - There is too much simple mindless music in the world. Give me something with some complexity. It doesn't have to be a concerto but something other than C, F and G.

3) Arrangement - What parts are you using to put the piece together? Is there contrast between them? Is the arrangement interesting or is it bland?

4) Performance - With MIDI and all the tools that we have at our disposal, there is no excuse for a boring performance. Of course that means I'm going to be more critical since we are not limited by our playing inadequacies.

5) Sounds - How interesting are the synth sounds that you're using? Are there some unusual sounds or is everything just your typical sawtooth, supersaw or whatever?

If you look at the above, it appears that I judge more on the song itself than on the patches used for the synth. I do, and this is why.

First of all, with presets to choose from and probably a lot of people using them, what really differentiates one piece from another sound wise? In fact, because everybody is using the same synth and ONLY the same synth, everything, quality wise, should sound pretty much the same.

So what's REALLY going to separate the best tracks from the average tracks is all the stuff that really matters...the song itself.

Now this doesn't mean that I can't appreciate an EDM track as much as I can appreciate an orchestral track. If what you do you do well, it'll come across and I'll like it.

By using this method, I'm able to go through these songs like a hot knife through butter. If you're track doesn't grab me right away, you're already down to a 3 at best. The rest just comes from taking apart all the pieces.

I've been critiquing my own music since 1979 and trust me, 90% of the music I've made sucks big time. In fact, I can't listen to most of it. But it's given me an appreciation for what's really good.

I can almost guarantee that I've picked out at least 3 of the top 5 for this particular challenge. In fact, I'm 99% sure who's going to win because that track was just flat out professional through and through. I'd have to be reincarnated a hundred times over to make music that sounds that slick and polished.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on judging these things. If you write out some kind of criteria for judging, you'll find that there is indeed a big difference between a lot of these tracks.

wagtunes wrote:I know a lot of people probably won't agree with how I judge these things but I find that it works for me and, in the long run, ends up putting my scores in line with most everybody else's with very few exceptions. For example, last month I picked 3 out of the top 5 as best tracks. Yes, I bombed out on #1 because I just didn't relate to it, but for the most part, my system falls in line with what everybody else is doing.
Wag, you left out one major thing for me: Mixing.

What's your take on that?

bjporter wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I know a lot of people probably won't agree with how I judge these things but I find that it works for me and, in the long run, ends up putting my scores in line with most everybody else's with very few exceptions. For example, last month I picked 3 out of the top 5 as best tracks. Yes, I bombed out on #1 because I just didn't relate to it, but for the most part, my system falls in line with what everybody else is doing.
Wag, you left out one major thing for me: Mixing.

What's your take on that?
I lump mixing in with "performance" which covers the "production" of the song. I'm a sucker for a great production even if the music isn't my cup of tea. The reason is because production has always been the hardest part for me.

Truth is, if this were a composition contest, I'd have a better chance than I do with what this is, which is essentially a "how great can you make this synth sound" contest. And rightfully so. It's a synth challenge, not a songwriting challenge. I could write a symphony but it won't matter if my "sounds" and "production" aren't in line with what most people are looking for in a winning track.

This month I'm going to try something I've really never done before in all the years I've been writing. I'm going to focus more on the production end and see if my results are better than the results I'm probably going to get this month.

If nothing else it will be an interesting experiment.

Oooooooooooooooookay. I have listened all!!! I understand enough of music that I could quickly decide who is interesting for me to follow and the most of you have got one follower more: Me :D :lol:

Partially I started to listen what else you have produced and I`m really amazed by all the talented artists I have discovered tonight. The most is my taste, but also the tracks which hasn`t been 100% my taste or which has been a bit hard for me to get are made solid until very good and there I tried to leave a more neutral, but at least fair feedback.

Concerning rating: Yep I agree to Wagtunes. This must be handled serious. You know that I`m an emotional kind of type and the most of you would get actually 5 points from me because I`m simply enthusiastic about the most. But I will try to be rational as well and I will also consider about such a "list" of points which I think are important. It probably will look similar to wagtunes list. But I can not limited myself to only 3 favorites. In my case there will be more, that`s for sure. Maybe my "knife" runs not as smooth through the butter like wagtunes, but hopefully I can make cuts at all :lol:

Last but not least:
It is a honour for me to be in a contest with so many talented and great artists. Hats off!!! :clap:

Good luck to you all :)

Cheers Yvonne
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

wagtunes wrote:I know a lot of people probably won't agree with how I judge these things but I find that it works for me...
My system is similar, but even more basic:

1. everyone has one point anyway :D

2. add one point for good composition: harmonies, melody lines, etc.

3. add one point for good production: levels, frequency spectrum, no over-compression, etc.

4 add one point for sound design or great use of presets: this basically goes to sound arrangement.

5 finally I have one point to give simply for a track that grabs me no matter if it fails one (or some) of the other points.

The last point is actually the first one I tend to give, during the first round of listening. Those are the tracks that somehow stand out and I feel I like right away for 'some' reason.

Getting one point from me means basically I don't like anything in your track, but I can't remember giving any track only one point since I use this system (but it is possible I did). Getting 'just' two points from me means that your track scored positive on at least one of those criteria and means I do like 'something' in it. When I have the time to participate in voting I also try to comment on the tracks themselves (on soundcloud) so you know what I liked ;)
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

So many different and amazing tracks this month, think I have gone through them all and commented.
Will double check later on this week and start voting.

crimsonwarlock wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I know a lot of people probably won't agree with how I judge these things but I find that it works for me...
My system is similar, but even more basic:
That's actually a great system! I was thinking of some scheme where I tried to sort all songs in the order in which I liked them and then give points in a bell curve kind of fasion with equal number of 1:s and 5:s and so on. Your system is both a lot quicker and easier and seems fairer... I think I'll shamelessly steal it!

So what's my system? Well, I got it from judging my own songs (all 6,000 that I've written in 36 years) in trying to determine which ones to send to publishers and/or A&R people and which ones are just crap.

1) Melody - This is key. I don't care how good everything else is. If the melody isn't there, or no melody at all, it's not going to score high.

2) Harmony - There is too much simple mindless music in the world. Give me something with some complexity. It doesn't have to be a concerto but something other than C, F and G.

3) Arrangement - What parts are you using to put the piece together? Is there contrast between them? Is the arrangement interesting or is it bland?

4) Performance - With MIDI and all the tools that we have at our disposal, there is no excuse for a boring performance. Of course that means I'm going to be more critical since we are not limited by our playing inadequacies.

5) Sounds - How interesting are the synth sounds that you're using? Are there some unusual sounds or is everything just your typical sawtooth, supersaw or whatever?

If you look at the above, it appears that I judge more on the song itself than on the patches used for the synth. I do, and this is why.

First of all, with presets to choose from and probably a lot of people using them, what really differentiates one piece from another sound wise? In fact, because everybody is using the same synth and ONLY the same synth, everything, quality wise, should sound pretty much the same.

So what's REALLY going to separate the best tracks from the average tracks is all the stuff that really matters...the song itself.
I totally agree with your procedure, I am a sucker for song... Not that I don't marvel at some of the sounds and productions here (I get jealous quite often) but the musical idea is still the most important criterium for me. At best, all of those come together (e.g. that user whose name starts with "P" and ends with "c" ;-) )

Mojo42 wrote: Pffffffffffffffff not really :lol: I listen all entries right in the moment..........that`s a pure nightmare, because I almost love them all *cry*. Can I simply give 5 Points to all? :lol:
Sure, I'll take it :D

All commented on, some comments maybe in the wrong place though along the track length.
Now to start voting.

Concerning the list of Crimsonwarlock: I can`t judge point 3 :wink:

All I could say is if I think the sound is well or not. In general I still agree to wagtunes and fese. Also for me is the musical idea is the most important: That`s it what a song contest is about, isn`t it?

Of course concerning electronic music the technical aspects are not equal and if there are weaknesses it will have effects on the whole song. But what is worth a song which is technical completely perfect, but damned boring?

I will be focused on idea, composition and arrangement because that are things which are most important for me and that are also things I can judge. Of course sound is not equal for me and so I will judge this too as good as I can at my actual stage. Concerning presets and patches.........I really don`t know how hard or easy it is to make a certain patch. Some sound complicated and they are very pretty easy to make. Some sound simple but are the hardest to make. I`m also not qualified to judge this.

But what I will judge is the fact if one actually made all patches by himself, used the factory/user patches only partially or used only the factory/user patches because this also says something about the skills of the musician.

A contest is about skills, talent, ideas. If one makes all patches by himself this says me that he mastered his instrument which is in our case a synthesizer :wink:

So that will be my list:
1. Musical idea, creativity, harmonies, melody, composition.
2. Arrangement.
3. Sound (as good as I can judge it)
4. The use of factory/user presets or selfmade patches.
5. How I feel when listen. Does it touch me in a way, does it bore me, do I get headache by listen, are my feet tapping or do I wish to run away and so on.

I`m afraid that is all I can really judge at my actual stage and so some others have to judge the more technical aspects. I hope that is fine for you so far.

Cheers
Yvonne
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

Voted
Some great songs.
A few 3's,mainly 4's and a few 5's

thanks

Finished my voting. I really enjoyed listening through all the tracks. Excellent work everyone -- I agree that it was difficult to decide how to rate them, especially with so many genres and styles. I'll look forward to seeing if others agree with me on the top 3 - 5 songs.

Next time I'd like to try one of these systems like @wagtunes suggested. That's a great way to break it down and simplify the process. I like the ones that were proposed, except that I may change the "melody" criteria to be more along the lines of "keeping my attention" or "having a focal point." I don't think it has to always be the melody, but I think it's good if there is a clear focal point that engages my attention at any given time. It would usually be the melody but it could also be a harmonic progression, a new rhythmic pattern being introduced, or even a moment of silence at the right time can really be powerful.

As others have mentioned I'd also like to leave a bit of room for my intuitive sense of the song (i.e., does it sound good? Does it elicit an emotional response?)

Thank you everyone for all your encouragement and feedback, it was a very positive first experience for me. I'm already looking forward to the next challenge -- Synthmaster sounds like it will be fun!

Jeff

Voted, albeit quite subjectively. An impressive variety of genres this month. OSC is a great forum for experimentation.

Return to “Instruments”