Why Do you Use an Audio Editor?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use audio editors for offline processing and analysis, for playing music files, for transcoding files—a bunch of things that aren't as easy or possible in Logic.

Amadeus Pro is my general-purpose editor; one thing I use it for is to select a part of a song I'm working on and get its RMS level. It's much faster than hitting play and waiting in Logic.

Many of RX 4's special functions are more accurate and/or easier to use in offline mode in the standalone app than as plugins in Logic, so I often process files offline before importing them into Logic.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

Audacity) for timestretching, reversing, pitch-shifting, filtering, trimming
Don't know how about other DAWs, but Ableton can do all of these directly or indirectly.

I use Audacity pretty much only for converting wav to mp3. Functions like spectrum or clipping detection are also helpful at this stage.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Don't know how about other DAWs, but Ableton can do all of these directly or indirectly.

I use Audacity pretty much only for converting wav to mp3. Functions like spectrum or clipping detection are also helpful at this stage.
It's nice to get outDAWS once in a while :wink:

Small quick bread and butter tasks:
  1. looking how a short sample looks like
  2. converting stereo to mono
  3. restoring vinyl recordings
  4. Reverse
  5. deleting silence at the beginning / end of a file
  6. playback at slower / higher speed (vari-speed)
  7. normalizing
  8. exporting a selection to a new file
  9. conversion to mp3
  10. Finding parts of a bigger file which can be looped / playback loops
  11. Fade in / out at the sart / end of a file
  12. Analyzing (if the tools are there)

My fav wave editor is Goldwave, unfortunately no version for Mac. I dislike Audacity
Last edited by Dúnedain on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dúnedain

Goldwave is a very useful piece of software. I digitised my LP collection and a few cassettes too. Some of the built-in processors are very powerful.

Mastering, as well as editing, making CDs, combining tracks, special edits, etc...

Wavelab

Editing audio?

Seriously, a lot of times I need to do small edits that are way easier in a dedicated editor than in Logic's editor. Usually trimming, or fading transitions from non-zero to avoid clicks after some other edit. Sometimes I need to swap channels or convert to mono. Sometimes I want to do weird audio processing that can't be done in a DAW. Sound Forge's Acoustic Mirror is a convolution effect that seems to work very differently than Space Designer, for example. I wish there was a Mac version.

Biggest reason though? GUI. No DAW has ever felt as effective for actual waveform editing. Dedicated tools for specific purposes are typically most effective for them.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

The main difference between a DAW like let's say Cubase and an Audio Editor let's say Samplitude is the later has no midi tracks. The main function of an Audio Editor is to mix and to master. How wrong am I about this?

Wavosaur FTW....

I use "Wave pad sound editor"
to convert from 32 bit to 16 bit
to slice or extract parts of audio
to make loops

Kalamata Kid wrote:The main difference between a DAW like let's say Cubase and an Audio Editor let's say Samplitude is the later has no midi tracks. The main function of an Audio Editor is to mix and to master. How wrong am I about this?
An Audio editor should only work on 1 track of audio. If it works on more audio tracks I would call it a DAW.
Dúnedain

Kalamata Kid wrote:The main function of an Audio Editor is to mix and to master.
I would say the main functions of an audio editor are mastering, CD production, or editing samples more in depth than you'd be able to do with your built-in DAW's editor. As already has been posted, you can also restaurate old vinyl or tape recordings, edit and process podcasts or speeches and so on. Well, you probably won't need an audio editor anyway, if you need to ask "Why do you use an audio editor?". :) I don't need one much these days also, but i used to cut a lot of MP3's, create cue-files, or normalize and compress stuff. Nowadays, i mostly use one to archive records.

seismic1 wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:

It's nice to get outDAWS once in a while :wink:
I see what you did there. :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Dúnedain wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:The main difference between a DAW like let's say Cubase and an Audio Editor let's say Samplitude is the later has no midi tracks. The main function of an Audio Editor is to mix and to master. How wrong am I about this?
An Audio editor should only work on 1 track of audio. If it works on more audio tracks I would call it a DAW.
Yes. And working with MIDI is a main goal of a sequencer.

Sequencer -> MIDI
Audio Editor -> editing of 1 track audio, mastering, converting etc.
DAW -> mixing (and "all-in-one" solution ideally)

Editing, recording, mastering, re-sampling, batch processing, ripping, converting, compiling CDs ...

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”