Apple Acquires Camel Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alchemy Alchemy Mobile Alchemy Player CamelCrusher Cameleon 5000 CamelPhat CamelPhatFree CamelSpace

botkiller wrote:Gross. Not surprising, but gross. Congrats to Camel for selling their business, but I'll be removing everything Camel I have forever now. Sad, because Camelcrusher was a great plugin. Oh well
Wait, why are you removing Camelcrusher? It works just as well as it did before...

Aubrey Lamont wrote:
botkiller wrote:Gross. Not surprising, but gross. Congrats to Camel for selling their business, but I'll be removing everything Camel I have forever now. Sad, because Camelcrusher was a great plugin. Oh well
Wait, why are you removing Camelcrusher? It works just as well as it did before...
Seems to be an ethical decision.

To clean house and not be bothered by things..... I have taken a similar approach. Taken everything I own from Camel and everything I have that was made for Camel products and put them up for sale. With the exception, so far, of Camel Space. But I am thinking about that as well...

The free things will just die when the account does....

just got a 2nd computer as a back up and to use for business so my main computer does not get a lot of internet usage to put it at risk. Got me an i5 with 4 gb ram upgradeable to 8 I believe its a lenovo so not a bad system, only paid $235 its a refurb but with a 1 year warranty. My main pc is now not getting exposed to viruses and if I leave home to go to a meeting it is also staying home while I only risk my cheapie. You mac boys spend how much for an i5 system? HA HA HA. with the difference I have a pile of cash to add some incredible software. Sonar, Cubase, Reaper, studio one, digital performer, record, ableton, fruity loops 11 all would run nicely on this, I like sonar the most but also have some of the others. If I was a new kid trying to add on more software I would recommend sonar because of all you get in the way of extra perks and free software like addictive drums, nomad and overloud plugins plus celemony melodyne. There is not much more you would need to add in order to produce something professional. A mac would cost you $1000 or more new and you'd still have to buy one of the daws that run on a mac and those do not throw in a lot of free 3rd party software like sonar does.

APPLE SUCKS BIGTIME FOR THIS REASON ALONE.

PC systems provide perfect systems to use professionally and in many ways they are far superior. In fact dawbench did some testing and PC's have been proven to outperform their mac counterparts.

Just curious, for those who have not read the full 20 pages, has there been any new interesting development or news?

No

masterhiggins wrote:
a5astronomer wrote:This is what I call KRAPITALISM !

Take something good (e.g., most of the bands in the past) and run it straight into the ground, EVERY TIME!

Cut the quality AND raise the price!

If you can't build something better than the competition, then buy out the competition!

Monopolize everything not explicitly regulated!

Feed chemical krap to all of the people who can't afford an organic (whatever that means now) farm!

Turn the whole Earth into industrial krap!

Turn universities into businesses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Melodramatic are we? The price on Logic has only gone down considerably since they were acquired. And universities already are businesses. How can they justify having to update a calculus book when there haven't been any major advancements in mathematics for quite some time now? Universities with sports teams also give away scholarships to morons because they're able to draw a crowd to events. How retarded is that?
not really...if the price of Logic has gone down considerably, then the labor cost must have gone down (there's no major material cost for s/w development). we all know how that works (ever seen Up In The Air http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_in_the_Air_(2009_film)). further, the wages for those not 'let go' must have remained flat or gone down (considerably?), especially when you add in apple management overhead for some new project (not to mention the cost of the time wasted changing s/w development methodology, licenses, patents, trademarks, etc.). plus, there doesn't seem to be much innovation from the before and after apple Logic (from what i've seen--but, i'm not a Logic user) . apple corp. is not a charity (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... le-company). they're going to make BIG MONEY from anything they obtain!

as for universities, they were not already businesses. yes, yes, i know the Romans recognized corporate entities under the names universitas, corpus, and collegium. however, the derivation of the word 'univesity' from: universitas magistrorum et scholarium, implies universities were (at least at some point) considered a community of teachers and scholars (kind of a guild). the University of Bologna--the oldest University in history--was founded in 1088--clearly well before commercial sports teams. further, if a university was some sort of business, there'd be no 'academic freedom' (even to the extent it exists today)! (this is a very controversial issue.) some businesses grant a small amount of research freedom when they get some money from the government to fund it, but i guarantee you, such freedoms do not include the freedom to investigate the operation and motives of the business! i was a corporate s/w developer for over 30 years and nobody but upper management, members of the board, and the owners (who run most corporations as their private piggy banks) had any freedoms. Universities gave out (NOT ALSO GAVE OUT) scholarships, in the form of bursaries (bursaria, from bursa) long before (at least by the 17th century) they incorporated major sports teams!!!

You say there haven't been any advancements in mathematics for quite some time now! What time frame do you have in mind? Every heard of Alexander Grothendieck and IHÉS or information geometry or Stone duality? (I could go on, but standing in the shadow of the people further developing Grothendieck's work, I know i'm a re'tard...so why bother!)

There has been a lot of development with Logic. I'm saying that as a logic user. The new features in X are a huge improvement for a lot of people. And so far speculation suggests that apple acquired camel audio to incorporate the tech into (gasp) logic, suggesting that there'll be continued development with logic. I know it's not guaranteed, but so far nothing has pointed to the contrary. If there had been no update to logic so far and no bug fixes then I'd be concerned. That's not the case though.

I meant no breakthrough in every single branch of mathematics that necessitates a whole new set of books at exorbitant prices for every subject. Medical breakthroughs are far more prevalent. That is certainly more understandable. Lets just say that educational book publishing is a lucrative market.

yessongs wrote:just got a 2nd computer as a back up and to use for business so my main computer does not get a lot of internet usage to put it at risk. Got me an i5 with 4 gb ram upgradeable to 8 I believe its a lenovo so not a bad system, only paid $235 its a refurb but with a 1 year warranty. My main pc is now not getting exposed to viruses and if I leave home to go to a meeting it is also staying home while I only risk my cheapie. You mac boys spend how much for an i5 system? HA HA HA. with the difference I have a pile of cash to add some incredible software. Sonar, Cubase, Reaper, studio one, digital performer, record, ableton, fruity loops 11 all would run nicely on this, I like sonar the most but also have some of the others. If I was a new kid trying to add on more software I would recommend sonar because of all you get in the way of extra perks and free software like addictive drums, nomad and overloud plugins plus celemony melodyne. There is not much more you would need to add in order to produce something professional. A mac would cost you $1000 or more new and you'd still have to buy one of the daws that run on a mac and those do not throw in a lot of free 3rd party software like sonar does.

APPLE SUCKS BIGTIME FOR THIS REASON ALONE.

PC systems provide perfect systems to use professionally and in many ways they are far superior. In fact dawbench did some testing and PC's have been proven to outperform their mac counterparts.
I'm sure you can get a cream for that.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Aubrey Lamont wrote:
it's funny, I wonder if camel audio had just gone bust and gone under what the response would have been, I suspect people would have been hoarding everything instead. some interesting psychology here, though obviously this is only half a dozen people having tantrums, out of thousands.

yessongs wrote:…I would recommend sonar because of all you get in the way of extra perks and free software like addictive drums, nomad and overloud plugins plus celemony melodyne. There is not much more you would need to add in order to produce something professional. A mac would cost you $1000 or more new and you'd still have to buy one of the daws that run on a mac and those do not throw in a lot of free 3rd party software like sonar does.
It seems clear from your sweeping allegations that you're not familiar with the enclosed tools in either Digital Performer or Logic Pro.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:
yessongs wrote:…I would recommend sonar because of all you get in the way of extra perks and free software like addictive drums, nomad and overloud plugins plus celemony melodyne. There is not much more you would need to add in order to produce something professional. A mac would cost you $1000 or more new and you'd still have to buy one of the daws that run on a mac and those do not throw in a lot of free 3rd party software like sonar does.
It seems clear from your sweeping allegations that you're not familiar with the enclosed tools in either Digital Performer or Logic Pro.

/Joachim
Digital Performer has some good audio processing plug-ins, but the instruments are very limited. Logic Pro is still unbeatable in this chapter. It will be hard to find something we would need after buying it (although the EXS sampler could use an upgrade).
Fernando (FMR)

Dasheesh wrote:We agree for the most part. I would dearly love to switch to another DAW that is windows only, so it's frustrating. I have been using macs since 98 :O.

I tried using a pc for a few years during the vista and windows 7 time, but I couldn't get anything done. Nothing worked. It sucked. My wife is a certified pc microsoft expert so I get the windows stuff, but It's so GAWDd blessed time consuming and you never know if it's going to actually work. I'm not interested in fighting it out with my computer. I play a musical keyboard.
What sort of problems have you had? I've been using a PC to make music for about 15 years, and I don't remember any problems at all during that time. I use FL Studio and lots of VSTs, all run perfectly, no crashes.

masterhiggins wrote:There has been a lot of development with Logic. I'm saying that as a logic user. The new features in X are a huge improvement for a lot of people. And so far speculation suggests that apple acquired camel audio to incorporate the tech into (gasp) logic, suggesting that there'll be continued development with logic. I know it's not guaranteed, but so far nothing has pointed to the contrary. If there had been no update to logic so far and no bug fixes then I'd be concerned. That's not the case though.
I don't know. Never in a million years would I expect Apple to drop Aperture development but they announced it anyway, with a new product called Photos. So it's not inconceivable that they may already be working on a prosumer replacement for both Garage Band and Logic Pro X. Ditto iMovie and Final Cut Pro. All it takes is for someone higher up to decide whether to exit the "pro" market (or not). It used to be that pro software used to sell a lot of hardware but that's probably not the case anymore.

But Core Audio will unlikely change and components will still work so I am not that worried. Another reason why I run Live 9 on OS X as an alternate DAW.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Aubrey Lamont wrote:
Funny...(coincidence)
I have nothing against Camel-Audio and demoed Alchemy before Christm.. Also played with the thought to buy it, but got Hive/PadshopPro instead. Downloaded the Alchemy player.
Got Space+Fat bundle.

..Now, everything gets deinstalled.

But..Looking at Kore 2, i installed that again and want to use it. (It's so cool)
...I had banned it because of ethical reasons.

Also the tears made it too hard for me to do anything productive. :cry:

---But always remind:
When written in Chinese the word crisis is composed of two characters.
One represents danger, and the other represents opportunity. ---

Sorry. For the bump.
- WonderEcho -

Return to “Instruments”