Cytomic 'The Glue' Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Glue

andy-cytomic wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:Does the vst3 version support vst3 sidechaining so that Cubase users can have easy sidechaining?
It will when it's done!
Amazing!! :hyper:

Any hints on which new features v2 will have?

andow wrote: Amazing!! :hyper:

Any hints on which new features v2 will have?
I'm adding a variable depth linked to dual mono knob for the detector / envelope follower, but the reset will remain secret until the release.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Endor-8o8 wrote: ...

Also crazy about Softube's gui gear clones (Tube-Tech and Summit). Your revision of The Glue reminds me of this steel/shiny Softube look.
Very impressive to see how you're able to create amazing pieces of soft and design such good looking gui at the same time. I hope we'll see more devices
from you in a near future.

Long live Cytomic ! :tu:

PS : have you ever thought about creating a hardware version of the Glue ?
You got me wondering who does the softube guis, there is a credit in their manual(s) for Ulf Ekelöf, who has a company called Trede http://www.trede.se/ , which list two of their customers being the propellerheads and softube.

Thanks for the huge compliment that you think my guis are near up to the standard of the softube ones, since they outsource theirs to some pros!

I like doing the design of the guis since it allows me control over the end user experience. I know things as the designer of the software that would take a long time to describe to a graphic designer so they could get it right, but it did take quite a bit of effort to learn all this 3D stuff. Audio software is very straight forward in comparison to the thousands of options available in a 3D package, but I've done the hard yards now and it's paying off.

I've got a really good workflow going in moi3d for the solid / nurbs modelling, and then exporting to modo for the texturing, animation, and rendering. I'm learning all the time and getting better at all the tricks of the trade doing this stuff, so I expect future interfaces will look even better.

Here is a recent post I made to gearslutz as someone asked about 3D stuff there:

moi3d ( MoI, 3D modeling for designers and artists - USD 295 ) is a nurbs package, so it is great at constructing precise forms from cross sections, booleans, and curves and then you can bevel (round) the edges and corners with exact surface continuity, so this gives a very real and engineered feel since these packages are used to export IGES and STEP to manufacturers to actual build stuff in the real world.

modo ( MODO | The next generation of 3D content creation | The Foundry - USD 1495 ) is a sub-division surface polygonal modeller, so it's not good at precise engineering tasks like moi3d, but it's great for pretty much everything else, and has the best workflow and built in render engine of any 3d package I know of.

My main development platform is Mac, and both of these packages give you a Win and Mac license for the one purchase price, and both packages are a bargain considering what they offer, and are brilliant to use, so I have no problem recommending them to anyone, in fact the more people that buy them and use them the better they will get!

Here is a timelapse video showing how I constructed the knobs for The Drop in moi3d (this file has no audio so you will probably have to right click and choose save as... to view it): http://www.cytomic.com/files/drop-knobbig-moi.mp4

News: I've finished the first GUI update for The Glue which includes updating to the same framework that I'm using for The Drop. I've also updated to the latest version of the Juce framework for extra compatibility. As part of the update I can now support Retina displays (HiDPI mode) on Mac, for ultra crisp text, but this requires OS 10.8. The new copy protection system requires OS 10.6 minimum, so I'll release two versions, one with retina and one without retina support.

Fingers crossed it should take around another two weeks to get the AAX version back up and running, and then I'll do a release.

Here are actual screenshots of the new gui.

This is in "tiny" mode compared to the current gui:

Image Image

And the new gui in "normal" size (small):

and links to med and large sizes:

http://cytomic.com/files/glue-newgui-med-6.jpg
http://cytomic.com/files/glue-newgui-large-6.jpg

Med and large look gigantic here. Normal looks quite big. Think I'll be sticking with the ''tiny'' version.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I'm guessing this is for the 4K and hi res crowd. Looks nice though.

Andy do you have any plans for vst3 with native sidechain for cubase in regards to The Drop and Glue?

Just wondering as it makes live so much easier :)

MFXxx wrote:I'm guessing this is for the 4K and hi res crowd. Looks nice though.

Andy do you have any plans for vst3 with native sidechain for cubase in regards to The Drop and Glue?

Just wondering as it makes live so much easier :)
Yes, a VST3 version is also on the way. Someone has already written a wrapper for VST3 for Juce, so I'll use that as a basis, hopefully there won't be too much work, perhaps another couple of weeks on top of the AAX couple of weeks.

Andy that's fantastic news. .. Thank you.

andy-cytomic wrote: Here are actual screenshots of the new gui.
And the new gui in "normal" size (small):
Looks great.
Really nice being able to see the presets and the oversampling settings. :tu:

The GUI looks a little soft, it might be the JPG. Here's your original file with a little smart sharpen in Photoshop. You may notice a cleaner edge under the needle. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Everglide wrote:The GUI looks a little soft, it might be the JPG. Here's your original file with a little smart sharpen in Photoshop. You may notice a cleaner edge under the needle. ;)
Have you noticed that the GUI isn't very pink either? Here is your version but made a lot pinker with a photoshop colourize filter - wow! ;)

No.

The GUI has been carefully designed, it is meant to look like it does, there are reasons behind everything, if you want to discuss them in depth then please email me. People have to look at the GUI for long periods of time, I am not trying to dazzle them, I want it to be warm and inviting and easy to look at. I know that it's easy to apply edge enhancement filters, I don't even need photoshop I have can write them myself, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Also the image you have altered isn't the final GUI, the final GUI will look more like this:

andy-cytomic wrote: Have you noticed that the GUI isn't very pink either? Here is your version but made a lot pinker with a photoshop colourize filter - wow! ;)

*This* is the one! I need more magenta in my compression! ;)

^ Can we get blue for the boys?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I bet somebody wants the pink GUI now.

Seriously though, the new GUI looks fantastic. :)
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Oh snap, well put Andy. Thank you for the detailed preview, it looks sweet!

Return to “Effects”