Granular Synthesis

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vojtech,

I'd like to ask you, if I may, to talk a little about the Transforms in the Granulator. I don't have a specific question - just starting to explore & there is alot there.

I'm interested in your ideas here, and perhaps granular synthesis in general. I know grains are small chunks of sound, milliseconds - but how do you view it, from a software perspective? i.e. - computer doing millions of calculations per second?

Grizeellda, I honestly don't know what your question is :D. Is it about what is Transform? Or what are grains? Simply put, the plugin is receiving the input audio, extracting grains of arbitraly length from it (these may be as long as you want, for example even seconds), which are essentially parts of the stream, then it processes somehow (pitch, transform, pan, duplicate...) and merges them to the output. That's pretty much all I see fit answering here :D.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Grizeellda, I honestly don't know what your question is :D. Is it about what is Transform? Or what are grains? Simply put, the plugin is receiving the input audio, extracting grains of arbitraly length from it (these may be as long as you want, for example even seconds), which are essentially parts of the stream, then it processes somehow (pitch, transform, pan, duplicate...) and merges them to the output. That's pretty much all I see fit answering here :D.
Vojtech,

To simplify: How would you define Transforms?

Transformation in MMultiBandGranular is time-projection for each grain. Simply put, when you have a grain, you may say it's a sample. The transformation then somehow modifies it in time. X axis is input, Y is output. That means that for each input sample (at position X) it looks into the graph and takes the sample from location at Y axis. So for example, diagonal graph from left bottom corner to top right corner (looks like "/") means "no transformation at all". However the other diagonal "\" means time reverse.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Well, thank you for that! Sorry I didn't make the original question somewhat clearer. I've just been trying some stuff out with this, and golly there's much to work with - Thank you for all the modulation options! Just "dopeness"...

Now please clarify this: There are 2 places to adjust Transform settings: The main voices page where each voice selects a number from 0 - 17. Then the envelope page itself, with 16 different envelopes. How does this correlate?

At first I though each number in the voices section selected a certain envelope, but that doesn't seem to be the case! Yet all 16 envelopes are saved as a preset. Does MMultiBand Granular treat them as a set? Struggling...

By the way, what the heck is a "working intermezzo" anyway? :D :lol:

Well, not sure what to clarify :D. There are 16 transformations. Each of them can be just about anything, hence it has it's own envelope. Then the processor needs to select one (or none) for each grain. So that's what you choose via the transformation parameter - it lets you either disable it, select one specific transformation, or let the processor choose randomly for each grain.

Working intermezzo - I'm lost, what are you talking about? :D :D
Vojtech

Well, not sure what to clarify :D. There are 16 transformations. Each of them can be just about anything, hence it has it's own envelope. Then the processor needs to select one (or none) for each grain. So that's what you choose via the transformation parameter - it lets you either disable it, select one specific transformation, or let the processor choose randomly for each grain.
That is somewhat helpful :) . It's the 0 -17 selection. There are 18 numbers there. How do those numbers correlate to the 16 transformations? If you could explain that, I'd sure appreciate it! :D

Where did you see that? There is Disabled, Random, 1, 2, ... , 16
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:Where did you see that? There is Disabled, Random, 1, 2, ... , 16
Hey, I'm still on version 8.05! Does that explain it? I was waiting for the next update. On my GUI it says 0 -17 on the "Transformation" parameter.

By the way - alright to skip a version? Any technical or installation concerns? Thanks Vojtech.

Return to “MeldaProduction”