One Synth Challenge #72: Eclipsis by VSTZONE (Richard Semper Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Eclipsis

jdruery wrote:Finished my voting. I really enjoyed listening through all the tracks. Excellent work everyone -- I agree that it was difficult to decide how to rate them, especially with so many genres and styles. I'll look forward to seeing if others agree with me on the top 3 - 5 songs.

Next time I'd like to try one of these systems like @wagtunes suggested. That's a great way to break it down and simplify the process. I like the ones that were proposed, except that I may change the "melody" criteria to be more along the lines of "keeping my attention" or "having a focal point." I don't think it has to always be the melody, but I think it's good if there is a clear focal point that engages my attention at any given time. It would usually be the melody but it could also be a harmonic progression, a new rhythmic pattern being introduced, or even a moment of silence at the right time can really be powerful.

As others have mentioned I'd also like to leave a bit of room for my intuitive sense of the song (i.e., does it sound good? Does it elicit an emotional response?)

Thank you everyone for all your encouragement and feedback, it was a very positive first experience for me. I'm already looking forward to the next challenge -- Synthmaster sounds like it will be fun!

Jeff
Would be cool to see you at the next OSC too :) I also own Synthmaster, but already know that I will have to work at my job much again this month and so...........I will try something, but without any pressure. But I will watch next OSC for sure and join, either just as someone who gives feedback and having nice smalltalk or maybe even with a track. We will see.
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

Voted!
--< good luck all >--

@ballacr75: Thanks for your comment :) I edited my profile at Soundcloud and added my full name:
Yvonne Jentsch :wink: :lol:

I also added the link to Soundcloud to my profile here at KVR which means: Up from now everybody has a chance to recognize my gender with just a few researches. Men!!! :lol:

In general this is all no problem for me. You know I`m pretty relaxed and have got huge humour, but anyhow it seems to be necessary in this "boy`s club" making such things more transparent. I did now. Hope this helps 8)

Cheers
Yvonne
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
Daodejing verse 37

I started to go through the tracks yesterday, rating (by the crimsonwarlock system(TM) ) and writing comments.
I hope you don't mind me being a bit opinionated in my comments... If I'm out of line, just tell me to shut up :)

I don't mind heavy criticism on my track, by the way. The crueler the comments, the better I learn ;)

mehum wrote:I started to go through the tracks yesterday, rating (by the crimsonwarlock system(TM) ) and writing comments.
I hope you don't mind me being a bit opinionated in my comments... If I'm out of line, just tell me to shut up :)

I don't mind heavy criticism on my track, by the way. The crueler the comments, the better I learn ;)
Thanks :) All fine with your comments to my track. That was exactly what I already asked myself. I made the drums already a bit louder at the second version of the track and considered if they are loud enough now and also the bassline was an idea, but time was too short. But YES definitely exactly the points I was also considering about. So: Thanks for the helpful feedback.

I also agree to your last sentence here. I also haven`t got any problems with heavy critique, because that is the only thing which really helps to improve apart from advice of course. Of course everybody wishes to hear nice things about his/her song (me too) but the most helpful are the critical comments :wink:

Glad to see that it seems that I`m among adults :)
Daodejing verse 37

Ok ... phew ... great tracks everyone ... shame they have to be "categorised" ... :dog:

So 3,4 or 5 for everyone.

5's were very very good to my ears, style and the basic criteria :tu: :tu: :tu:
4''s were very good, but not quite up to my top 4 this time :tu: :tu:
3's were good, but I needed to differentiate a little :tu:

And well done to all those first timers too - welcome to OSC and hope to see you all around for some time to come. :clap:

************ DoctorBob has voted ********************

db

Hey so I started voting, got a little ways in, not much done yet really... but today I wanted to try to get through most of the list and when I went to log in it said "Username or Password incorrect or user doesn't exist" I tried a bunch of times making sure everything was typed right and still nothing, should I just start again with my other email address?

actioncat wrote:Hey so I started voting, got a little ways in, not much done yet really... but today I wanted to try to get through most of the list and when I went to log in it said "Username or Password incorrect or user doesn't exist" I tried a bunch of times making sure everything was typed right and still nothing, should I just start again with my other email address?

PM me i'll take care of it.

Oh wait... looks like there is a problem with the Server, with 1 hour ETA of fix, so we'll see what happens. :tu: for the heads up.

Yay, I have now rated you all!
I did feel a bit bad about giving out 1:s... Sorry about that... At least I have a system to hide behind ;) If there's any bad feelings you can always revenge-vote in the next contest I enter!

My system is very close to others mentioned here:
1 point for "attendance". The track was submitted to the contest. :)

1 extra point for "musicality". This will mean different things for different genres. Can be a great melody, beat, chord progression, arrangement etc.

1 extra point for "sound design". This does not necessarily mean the artist was the one creating the sound. Much more important is the choice of sounds and how they work together.

1 extra point for "sound quality". More a question of mixing, mastering, getting the sounds in the right place.

1 extra point for "wow factor". Did your piece move me in some way, regardless of the above?

Each of these points are of course very subjective and also intertwined...

Ok all is well now, back to voting...

[quote="Mojo42"][b]@ballacr75:[/b] Thanks for your comment :) I edited my profile at Soundcloud and added my [b]full name[/b]:
Yvonne Jentsch :wink: :lol:

I also added the link to Soundcloud to my profile here at KVR which means: Up from now everybody has a chance to recognize my [b]gender[/b] with just a [b]few[/b] researches. Men!!! :lol:

In general this is all no problem for me. You know I`m pretty relaxed and have got huge humour, but anyhow it seems to be necessary in this "boy`s club" making such things more transparent. I did now. Hope this helps 8)

Cheers
Yvonne[/quote]

You are great Yvonne! :)

doctorbob wrote: So 3,4 or 5 for everyone.
... the same way I do!

When you give 5 points -> this track seems to be five times as good as the one-pointer.
Even the four-pointer has to be twice as good as the 2-pointer...

But in my opinion the differences are not so big, so I agree with Bobs voting rules :wink:

rockingricky wrote:
doctorbob wrote: So 3,4 or 5 for everyone.
... the same way I do!

When you give 5 points -> this track seems to be five times as good as the one-pointer.
Even the four-pointer has to be twice as good as the 2-pointer...

But in my opinion the differences are not so big, so I agree with Bobs voting rules :wink:
Ah, you're putting a compressor on your rating :)
Brickwalling would be all fives, then...

V O T E D :tu:
Good Luck To All! :clap:

Return to “Instruments”