What's your guitar limit?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For me it's 12 even though I currently own 13. Usually when I hit the 13 mark one of them has to go; It used to be more. The most I ever had at one time was 50 guitars.

I was watching the Billy Gibbons Rig rundown episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6DrxfrbbF8

In it the tech specifies he has no idea how many guitars Billy Gibbons has. His last estimate was back in '95 at one location there was 450 guitars. Then he talks about how Billy Gibbons buys guitars like mad every year.

So if money and space weren't an issue where would you draw the line?
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Why draw the line?

My personal view of great guitars is that they are art that you can make music with. I like to display them all on the wall. Several of the rooms in my home have guitars on the walls.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Even if I did have a limit I don't think that would stop me. I don't currently own any 12 string guitars so at least a couple there to add, I would really like a good nylon string guitar too, and I can always use more electrics (who can't?).

Then there's bass guitars. I don't currently own a 5 string or fretless and then there's 8 string, etc.

Come to think of it, I still haven't got round to buying that 7 string guitar I promised myself a couple of years ago.

Definitely no limits! Currently I think I have 7 or 8 guitars, but there's always room for more!
Sweet child in time...

I have no limit. I am a guitar junkie!!! :cry: :cry: :o :scared:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Physical space limits me. I have 5 now, but no place else to really put any more. I may buy an archtop and hang it in a wall case.

2, but currently i only have one.

Only one (a Parker) but it is great and I love it.

I recently bought a plugin called Midi Guitar so know I can play
all my synths with my guitar. :D

Amazing times :party:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

All of them is my limit.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Its an addiction . Im trying to down size mine . 1 bass 1 electric 2 acoustics 1 acoustic baritone . The acoustic baritone needs to go ....Ive had more than that at one time , I won't go any lower than 2 acoustics though . So I guess 5 is the limit .

Kriminal wrote:2, but currently i only have one.
I started out like that, Success was my downfall. I used to get session work but it was hit or miss. The more guitars I had the more studio work I got. The money was very good, not great and the work was irregular (which is why I held onto other jobs) My playing paid for my guitars. It was like Cocaine addiction. I had to work more to get guitars so I could work more.

My latest guitar sounds only somewhat like I thought it would. To my ears it's vastly different. It looks very much like a Gibson Super 400
and yet it sounds completely original and very different then a Gibson Super400. Nonetheless, the body has this amazing sympathetic resonance which is quite addicting to listen to and therefore to play. For the first month of owning I couldn't play another guitar due to the addiction of tone. I still look at other guitars online and I'm finally playing my other guitars in a more fair rotation.

Back in the day while collecting for work it was all about appearance. Producers and their clients always loved looking at my hair band guitars. I often think about getting a few back for the novelty. Something to hang on the wall as a curio. Simply have it there and a guest would ask so I pull it off, play it for a bit and hang it on the wall. The whole Santana thing of having a huge barn filled with guitar cases that are filled with guitars that never get looked at let alone played seems sad to me.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I have 3 ...
2 acoustics (an Ibanez dreadnought and a LAG classical) and 1 electric (Fender Telecaster). I don't play enough to justify buying anymore. Broke my left wrist badly a couple of years ago, and it's just not the same anymore.

My limit is pretty low.

-- I'm not a collector; I don't have a lot of money to burn or space to store instruments
-- I'm not really into fretted instruments (I tried) or standard guitar tuning
-- I feel guilty/foolish about instruments I've bought (or been given as gifts) but don't play
-- for the most part, I feel like one is enough for the types instruments I do like. (If I got more serious about fretless bass and picked up a classier one, I'd retire my SX and it'd eventually be sold or donated.)

Admittedly, my limit's a bit higher on percussion. I have multiple frame drums in different sizes and styles, three doumbeks, and lots of little shakers. But the total value of all my drums is still less than a serious guitar player would pay for a good guitar.

Somewhere around/immediately after the crash of 2008/09; I had to decide for me, what the difference is between NEED and WANT (I had lost of fair amount of money along with my nice, upwardly mobile job)

Today, I have 3 different-from-one-another electrics, one vintage acoustic and an electric/acoustic bass(half-wounds) that can do kinda funky bass service when called upon

Wish I could do more, but there are a number of more important responsibilities these days.
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I'm getting ready to set mine to one.

I had 1 guitar for years. Fortunately it is a good one, a 50s strat. My downward spiral into guitar collecting started because I could never get that ES-175 sound from Steve Howe recordings. And damn it, I wanted to play Star Ship Troupers and Yours is no Disgrace but have it SOUND right. Then I happened to have the opportunity to get a 59 reissue 175 .. and BINGO instantly got the sound. Doesn't even matter what amp I plug it into, I can get a convincing version of "that" sound.

So, I've started to get guitars that have a particular sound instead of trying to beat the sound out my Strat. I didn't really buy into that for a long time. I do now. A Les Paul through a Marshall is awesome. A strat through a dimed twin is awesome. Swap the guitars to the other amp, and although they sound ok .. it isn't "right".

FWIW, I also noticed that I don't like modern high gain pickups at all. And old/vintage pickups also contribute a huge range of tonal choice. I think once you start chasing tone, and find out that there are truly "golden" system setups, you are screwed.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”