Character of wavetable synthesis

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why Codex has only 4 modluation destinations? That's just laughable.

As a Codex user, you've got to have a verified sense of humour. It's in the EULA – didn't you read the fine print?

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Igro wrote:Why Codex has only 4 modluation destinations? That's just laughable.
Why Igro has zero facts right?
The Codex manual wrote:DEST determines the destination of the modulation source.

Range: Global Pitch, OSC 1 Freq, OSC 1 Resolution, OSC 1 Formant, OSC 1
Table, Scan 1 Start, Scan 1 Mid, Scan 1 End, Scan 1 Speed, OSC 2 Freq, OSC
2 Resolution, OSC 2 Formant, OSC 2 Table, Scan 2 Start, Scan 2 Mid, Scan 2
End, Scan 2 Speed, OSC 2 FM, Sub, Noise, Ring, OSC Mix, VCF Cutoff, VCF
Res, VCF FM, VCF Env, VCF A, VCF D, VCF R, VCF Crv, VCA, VCA A, VCA D,
VCA R, VCA Crv, Pan, HP, LP, Dist, Crusher, Chorus, Delay Mix, Delay Rate,
Reverb, Porta, LFO 1 Rate, LFO 2 Rate, LFO 3 Rate, LFO 4 Rate, Env3 A, Env3
D, Env3 S, Env3 R, Env3 Crv, Arp/Seq Rate, Arp\Seq Gate, Mod 1, Mod 2, Mod
3, Mod 4, Mod 5, Mod 6
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I've always found WT synth output to be a bit crisp and digital for my liking. Perhaps that's not quite true, as I love a fair few additive synths that are also very digital and crisp sounding, so perhaps it's some indefinable (to me) quality. I love the idea of them but never much gone for the actual sound of them - though I haven't played with them all (or any hardware ones at all). I did play with Serum a bit, Codex a bit, and a very old version of PPG plugin. Couldn't get into any of them.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

I wanted to master Wavetable synth because I found it to be incredibly flexible and has wide variety of sound than VA synth, but the warmth of VA is also something that I crave for...

Still, I tried Dune2, Spire, ONE, Hive, and they all sounds great but I always have tendency to go back to Serum, even though I kept scratching my head trying to get the sound I want. Maybe because of its interface. Maybe because of its sound. I don't know.

As far as I read the forum, I think what I was doing wrong is that I treated wavetable more like VA synth. I think I really have to use filter more often and keep adjusting the sound.

I wanted to master Wavetable synth because I found it to be incredibly flexible and has wide variety of sound than VA synth, but the warmth of VA is also something that I crave for
I keep thinking about Serum as substractive synth with additional settings (and modulation) for oscillators.

"Warmth" is very subjective term. When it comes to VA, I think it's clarity (oversampling) combined with distortion (nonlinearity).
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

whyterabbyt wrote:
Igro wrote:Why Codex has only 4 modluation destinations? That's just laughable.
Why Igro has zero facts right?
The Codex manual wrote:DEST determines the destination of the modulation source.

Range: Global Pitch, OSC 1 Freq, OSC 1 Resolution, OSC 1 Formant, OSC 1
Table, Scan 1 Start, Scan 1 Mid, Scan 1 End, Scan 1 Speed, OSC 2 Freq, OSC
2 Resolution, OSC 2 Formant, OSC 2 Table, Scan 2 Start, Scan 2 Mid, Scan 2
End, Scan 2 Speed, OSC 2 FM, Sub, Noise, Ring, OSC Mix, VCF Cutoff, VCF
Res, VCF FM, VCF Env, VCF A, VCF D, VCF R, VCF Crv, VCA, VCA A, VCA D,
VCA R, VCA Crv, Pan, HP, LP, Dist, Crusher, Chorus, Delay Mix, Delay Rate,
Reverb, Porta, LFO 1 Rate, LFO 2 Rate, LFO 3 Rate, LFO 4 Rate, Env3 A, Env3
D, Env3 S, Env3 R, Env3 Crv, Arp/Seq Rate, Arp\Seq Gate, Mod 1, Mod 2, Mod
3, Mod 4, Mod 5, Mod 6
My bad, i mean 6 slots...

So many great infos in this thread.

Just wanted to thank all the contributors because I learned a lot!

Cool thread.I have Serum, Largo, PPG, Massive, Razor and I find Codex to be as a few posters pretty much said. Codex is the anti "wavetable cliche" synth. I tried the demo and I like it a lot.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Return to “Instruments”