What's your guitar limit?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This thread is starting to sound like the Monthy Python worst life contest. :D

...and you tell that to the kids of today...
Sweet child in time...

tapper mike wrote:"How many guitars would you own if you could"
Oh, okay.

One nice fretless bass. (I'm thinking: 4-5 strings, short scale, no fretlines, some kind of beautiful classy wood and finish (no sunburst), no weird shape, hipshot tuners.

One or two nice lap steels, with a retuning system of some sort, incorporating some Paul Vo electromagnetic effects wizardry.

A hurdy-gurdy.

A smattering of kanteles, dulcimers, zithers, autoharps for messing around. Some would have transducers for exciting the strings from other sources.

An electric cello and the skill to play it :P

A Maywa Denki Ultra Folk V2.

Re electric cello...

Maybe something like this,,,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcUr-gIm2mo

Or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKCMa9jVogE

I dunno the hipshot tuners kind of really help the design.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Just one for now cause I'm awful, but I'm gonna trade in my terrible entry-level Dean for a very nice entry-level Yamaha Pacifica next week.

What's the limit?
depends who you are and what your situation in life is. I have so many because I can. simple as that.
I knew a guy whos' friend had 600 plus...all of them Fenders, some of 'em bloody expensive too.
He had that many because he could..
For me, It'd have to be something awfully special to make me buy another (gifts are more than welcome) I'm able to mount them three high on my walls if need be.
:wink:
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

nineofkings wrote:Just one for now cause I'm awful, but I'm gonna trade in my terrible entry-level Dean for a very nice entry-level Yamaha Pacifica next week.
I had a yamaha pacifica I rather liked some 20 years ago. All my guitar snob friends didn't. As far as I was concerned I didn't buy it for them I bought it for me.

Be forewarned. Entry level guitars have little to no resell/trade in value. If you walk in with the attitude that the guitar you are unloading has no value to you the salesperson might use that to their advantage. Honestly you are better off selling a guitar on craigslist or reverb or lastly ebay rather then direct to a dealer.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:Be forewarned. Entry level guitars have little to no resell/trade in value. If you walk in with the attitude that the guitar you are unloading has no value to you the salesperson might use that to their advantage. Honestly you are better off selling a guitar on craigslist or reverb or lastly ebay rather then direct to a dealer.
It's amazing how many people think their entry level guitars can sell for almost 100% of street price on Craigslist. I've beaten people down on price by a long way sometimes when guitars have been posted multiple times, but some people will just say their price is firm and probably get no offers.

Music stores are the worst place to sell though - they have to sell with markup so you get almost nothing for entry level guitars, and get ripped off with guitars that actually have resale value.
Sweet child in time...

Music stores are only allowed to operate with markup. No markup no rent or electricity or staff get paid. It's basic economics. Quite often they are doing the buyer a favor by taking the guitar selling process off the hands of the person. Some people don't like strangers coming over to their house to look at a guitar. Some people don't want to go through the process of putting something up on ebay.

Buying a new guitar is not like buying a new car. It's true that once you leave the place the value of that purchased product will drop. Unlike cars however there is a stopping point were the value of a guitar (if in good condition) will remain the same (not adjusted for inflation)

What's worse with music stores is electronics. No matter how much money you paid for your SEX2000 as soon as that model gets one major upgrade or is no longer deemed hip the resell falls hard fast.

In regards to attempting to negotiate down a price with sellers I wont even bother or bother myself with them. Either they want to sell it at a reasonable price or they don't want to sell it. If some sucker is willing to pay full price for used I say let them. There used to be a few music stores around town with seriously inflated prices and the whole gimmick was to haggle them down. Most of the time the haggle down price was still higher then everyday pricing elsewhere. Needless to say those stores went out of business.

18 here. They all do a little something the others don't do.

Now, don't get me started on handmade microphones...

:party:
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

I don't let anyone come to my house so I usually find a good place to meet. Often it's been the Home Depot near to my house as they have a covered area at the front with outlets on the wall so I can bring a small amp and plug the guitar in and play. Never had a problem with the staff ever coming out and asking what the hell I'm doing...

Yeah, I know stores have to have markup, but what I meant is that they're never going to give you a good price because of that, and will dig deep into your price for any low end guitars.
Sweet child in time...

Cost would mean no limit here...but if I had the space of, say, Ford's former Talbotville ON plant....it would be as many as I can get!!

Otherwise since we are in a house here...it may end up around 30....
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

i only gots 2 hands, Boss...

'doesn't necessarily require "heaps" of money.' requires loads of space -

about to sell electric#1 in favour of #2. can't justify more than 1.
Last edited by mztk on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

selling guitars to the music exhchange taught me a lot about
synthesizers sequencers and drum machines, and how their
exhange voucher system worked, so i eventually managed
to get even with them for fleecing me.
Last edited by mztk on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

trimph1 wrote:Cost would mean no limit here...but if I had the space of, say, Ford's former Talbotville ON plant....it would be as many as I can get!!

Otherwise since we are in a house here...it may end up around 30....
Yeah I know what you mean. Ford had it's largest plant here in Wixom for many years. Big, Big, Big, Huge.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”