Linnstrument + hardware

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

New owner here. First of all, I must congratulate Roger and the team on releasing a new piece of hardware that is feature complete upon release. So often these days new music hardware is shipped with woefully incomplete OSes and it is frustrating for the end user. Thanks for taking the time and effort to properly get it ready for release.

Next - I'm mainly a hardware guy and initially I was looking at adding the Linnstrument to give me different and possibly more expressive methods of creating sequences. So far I get the different part and that's cool. :)

In looking over the MIDI capabilities and specs of my various pieces of gear, it occurred to me that the old remedial MIDI mode of 'Omni' could be very useful in conjunction with the Linnstrument sending data on multiple channels, it is possible that it would allow pressure per note, bend per note, etc even with older gear, depending on how the synth processed the messages on multiple channels.

Anyone else using the Linnstrument with a more hardware-centric setup?

I have been recently using the LinnStrument live with the DSI Prophet 12 module. They work very very well together. I've changed the y-axis and aftertouch to different CCs than come as the default on the LinnStrument and then those can be used as sources in the Prophet 12's very large modulation matrix.

Also, setting the Linnstrument to one channel mode for both splits, but on different midi channels, allows me to play layer A with the left split and layer B with the right split on the Prophet 12 at the same time (P12 can play two different patches at the same time)... pretty much like having two synths side by side. The Prophet12 even has two separate stereo outputs - one for each layer - so I can record them separately or process those differently when playing live.

Just spent an evening having a blast with the Linnstrument + Roland TR-8 drum machine.

The TR-8 allows you to turn it's effects on and off using MIDI notes in a low octave (they say C0, but it's note #12) plus adjust the amount of delay/feedback/reverb, etc with CCs.

So I set up a split and on the left, transposed it down a couple octaves to get it in range, and the right split I set up Y and Z for a couple of CCs.

I put a basic pattern going on the TR-8, and then I could add notes using the higher octaves on the left, turn effects on and off using the low octave and adjust the amounts using the right split. Basically I created a dub reggae drum setup. It was nice being able to vary pressure to increase the amount of feedback on the delay and slide up and down on the pad for delay time. Very natural feeling to just playing on the Linn and it gave me some practice for the amount of movement and pressure needed to enact a change.

Hi OldGearGuy--
Thanks for your kind compliment about releasing LinnStrument complete. In truth, we've done 11 updates since the release in November so we did do some catching up, but I do now feel that it is a truly capable and complete musical instrument.
Regarding your comment about MIDI OMNI mode, that's something that's only implemented on the receiving end, allow a synth to catch all notes regardless of the channel over which they're sent. However, LinnStrument's Channel Per Note mode does what you want: sending each note on its own MIDI channel and thereby permitting independent pressure, bend and Y-axis for each note, simultaneously. The only problem is that not so many synths support this. Fortunately Logic Pro X does (they call it "MIDI Mono Mode") so if you have Logic Pro X and want to immediately play some of the sounds I used in my videos that have independent per-note bends (like pedal steel guitar, blues slide guitar and blues harmonica), simply download our Logic project file containing those sounds and others. It's all explained on the newly-revised Getting Started page, accessed from the LinnStrument Support page.
By the way, you can get independent pressure for each note while using a single MIDI channel. Just send pressure using MIDI Poly Pressure messages, selectable in 'Per-Split Settings / Loudness/Z'.
Best, Roger

Return to “Roger Linn Design”