Meet the Makers: Ableton Developers at Work (Vid)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Enjoyed watching this! Thanks!

Thanks ...

I watched half the video. Willpower :hihi:

I like these guys

7 Year documentary - A competitive DAW company try to fix Vst latency

I'm reading that Berlin is now equal to silicon valley in software innovation

the top, top coders now want to work there, instead of California
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Jeez F. X - how many developers do they have?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Mister Natural wrote:I'm reading that Berlin is now equal to silicon valley in software innovation

the top, top coders now want to work there, instead of California
No man, all the top coders are in India.

Nightpolymath wrote:
No man, all the top coders are in India.
:lol: Right, maybe if you only consider how cheaply you can get "something" done.

julioelgenio wrote:Enjoyed watching this! Thanks!
+1

Interesting...
Scrum/agile development practices (which is basically what this video describes Ableton as using) has been gaining traction in many software teams/companies, so its hardly surprising Ableton has gone that way... also they were quite honest, saying that in Live 8 things were going in the wrong direction (bug count going up is a fair indictor, but they possibly were feeling a bit 'trapped' in an overly complex project with too many interdependencies, and Agile would therefore have been appealing as a solution.

even if there is some propaganda/staging, its still a very encouraging sign, that these are the values the dev teams seems to have.

to flip some of the speculation expressed here on its head, perhaps this is why some of the bitwig developers left (given timeframes), they didn't believe Ableton would be able to turn the issues mentioned at around the time of Live 8... but they perhaps have been proved wrong.

Anyways, Ive both Live and Bitwig, and so if they both push forward I'm happy :)

I'd be very interested in finding out why they use a custom (and really bad) font renderer in Ableton, and why they made it look so 'naff' (in my opinion, of course, you may love the look).

basslinemaster wrote:I'd be very interested in finding out why they use a custom (and really bad) font renderer in Ableton, and why they made it look so 'naff' (in my opinion, of course, you may love the look).
You're not alone. It's been echoed so many times.

I don't use glasses but Ableton makes me think I might have to.

And in what universe was a Tuner something the community desperately wanted?

Go work on something substantial and do the descent thing to your hurting costumers.

Parading around that office and laughing?? This is SERIOUS BIZNESS, get to work!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”