Some Push questions

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rod_zero wrote:I didn't like loading racked presets from Push it is slow, as it has to load the plug in again.

To me the best solution ofr this is using the MIDI program change functionality in plug ins, this is done placing a M4L device before the VST which can send MIDI program change messages. Works quite well and is much more faster.
MIDI program change is certainly the fastest, but you cannot see where and what you're navigating.

I'm browsing through my own presets now on Push via racks, and as long as you're browsing within the same VST, the changeover from one to the next is literally instant. For me at least. I've got them all neatly placed in my own folders as well (Arps; Arps - experimental; Plucked; SEQ - melody; etc) , so I can see exactly where I'm going, and get there quickly, all from Push. I also like that you can just hit the amber button below the relevant area on the screen to load the next preset/rack

My PC is a 6+ year-old geriatric piece of crap, slowly failing in most dept - HD is extremely sluggish, first-gen i7, half-broken dual-GPU, and warts. Windows 7.

EDIT: btw, if anyone wants my take on a Push Hive and Bazille configurationmapping, I'd be happy to share. Both need tweaking perhaps, but I find the Hive one very enjoyable to use.

One thing to consider before anyone starts saving racks for Push if you also want a sensible parameter layout for each - configure your ideal parameter layout as the template first, otherwise you'll have to save all those racks again if you make any changes. There is perhaps a quicker way of implementing any changes to all racks after the fact, but I'm not aware of how.

memyselfandus wrote:Maybe you guys or whoever.. could share some of these rack presets in the future?
There are a couple of free racks on my website http://www.thecontrolcentre.com/free.htm

Sharing rack presets for plugins is a good idea. Will do it once I've built a few.

:)
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

you guys rule. this stuff should be at the top of the list for ableton to update in push.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:Maybe you guys or whoever.. could share some of these rack presets in the future?
There are a couple of free racks on my website http://www.thecontrolcentre.com/free.htm

Sharing rack presets for plugins is a good idea. Will do it once I've built a few.

:tu:

thecontrolcentre wrote:

Hey TCC,

I would never forget that you create instruments including those for Ableton! :)

What I meant was sites like these guys: http://audiomodder.myshopify.com/produc ... vst-bridge

Audiomodder has their product for $20. I love having this and for the content I don't own, it's just a matter of deleting the excess presets from their respective folders.

There's at least one more "for-sale" product out there that does includes presets for other 3rd party plugs. Sorry... I don't remember which one it is (and again sorry... too tired to bother with searching for it, but maybe someone else remembers and is willing to provide a link).

Lastly (for now), there's this tutorial for "automating" the process (using Keyboard Maestro) for creating Live Racks for each preset of a selected plugin (where preset name is also selectable text):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9MRT78bOt0

tedlogan wrote:
rod_zero wrote:I didn't like loading racked presets from Push it is slow, as it has to load the plug in again.

To me the best solution ofr this is using the MIDI program change functionality in plug ins, this is done placing a M4L device before the VST which can send MIDI program change messages. Works quite well and is much more faster.
MIDI program change is certainly the fastest, but you cannot see where and what you're navigating.

I'm browsing through my own presets now on Push via racks, and as long as you're browsing within the same VST, the changeover from one to the next is literally instant. For me at least. I've got them all neatly placed in my own folders as well (Arps; Arps - experimental; Plucked; SEQ - melody; etc) , so I can see exactly where I'm going, and get there quickly, all from Push. I also like that you can just hit the amber button below the relevant area on the screen to load the next preset/rack

My PC is a 6+ year-old geriatric piece of crap, slowly failing in most dept - HD is extremely sluggish, first-gen i7, half-broken dual-GPU, and warts. Windows 7.

EDIT: btw, if anyone wants my take on a Push Hive and Bazille configurationmapping, I'd be happy to share. Both need tweaking perhaps, but I find the Hive one very enjoyable to use.

One thing to consider before anyone starts saving racks for Push if you also want a sensible parameter layout for each - configure your ideal parameter layout as the template first, otherwise you'll have to save all those racks again if you make any changes. There is perhaps a quicker way of implementing any changes to all racks after the fact, but I'm not aware of how.
I was just going to say the same... That the only delay in loading a 3rd party plugin is just the time it takes to initially open it (and I haven't noticed a difference between opening from the browser with the mouse vs. opening via Push). After the first time of loading a 3rd party plugin, changing presets is indeed instant (and in many cases faster than switching presets with Live's native instruments).

Thanks for all the great info elxsound :tu:

anyone know if the pads light up for each kit piece for ezdrummer? like how the pads light up for drum racks with kits loaded? can you change the time signature per clip from push? how do you add in (in step record mode) and visualize tuplets on push?

memyselfandus wrote:anyone know if the pads light up for each kit piece for ezdrummer? like how the pads light up for drum racks with kits loaded? can you change the time signature per clip from push? how do you add in (in step record mode) and visualize tuplets on push?

For any Drum instrument third party VST you wanna use the drum sequencer layout of push you will have to configure a drum rack. For this you will need to add external instruments to the drum rack pads to which you then route notes and output from the drum plug in.
by default, each step sequencer pad corresponds to a 16th note, but you can change the step size via the buttons in the Scene/Grid section.

https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/push-general-qa/

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/using-push/
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:
As for using it with other DAWs: honestly if you Live is not your main DAW I wouldn't get Push. It's just very limited in other DAWs using the PXT general script to be worth the hefty price tag.
I do agree with this but the Push4Bitwig script for Bitwig is pretty robust.

It does some things that Push in Live cannot as yet do (Opening plug-in UI's via a button, Drum Maschine pads can be colored similar to Maschine) but it is also missing a couple of features that Live/Push has (the editing of notes for instance, where you can select notes and change timing, length velocity etc).

I think ultimately I personally prefer the Push/Live combo but others are loving Push/Bitwig.

rod_zero wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:anyone know if the pads light up for each kit piece for ezdrummer? like how the pads light up for drum racks with kits loaded? can you change the time signature per clip from push? how do you add in (in step record mode) and visualize tuplets on push?

For any Drum instrument third party VST you wanna use the drum sequencer layout of push you will have to configure a drum rack. For this you will need to add external instruments to the drum rack pads to which you then route notes and output from the drum plug in.
by default, each step sequencer pad corresponds to a 16th note, but you can change the step size via the buttons in the Scene/Grid section.

https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/push-general-qa/

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/using-push/

Thank you. I was hoping you could freely choose say 5:1(5 notes per beat) and 9:1 and so on. using step edit. via push. for those tuplets. I work with them a lot. maybe there is a way?

taoyoyo wrote:
rod_zero wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:
As for using it with other DAWs: honestly if you Live is not your main DAW I wouldn't get Push. It's just very limited in other DAWs using the PXT general script to be worth the hefty price tag.
I do agree with this but the Push4Bitwig script for Bitwig is pretty robust.

It does some things that Push in Live cannot as yet do (Opening plug-in UI's via a button, Drum Maschine pads can be colored similar to Maschine) but it is also missing a couple of features that Live/Push has (the editing of notes for instance, where you can select notes and change timing, length velocity etc).

I think ultimately I personally prefer the Push/Live combo but others are loving Push/Bitwig.
cool stuff :)

One other feature Push4Bitwig has that I forgot to mention earlier... if you hold down Master Push displays a menu that allows you to swap Views (Arrangement/Launcher/Edit etc) and toggle the view of elements (Returns, Crossfader etc).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”