Audio Unit compatibility

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any news on AU compatibility? I kicked out all VST and VST3 stuff on my Mac and would like to use Bitwig with Audio Units :pray:

Is surely never going to happen, VST is compatable with Mac,Pc and Linux. Why would the need AU anyway, most AU plugins are just wrapped VST ones
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

'cause they refer to this future compatibility themselves on their website :)

AU is coming, just not now.
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about fidelity. I just make music.

As someone who once lived and breathed by AU plugins, and couldn't even conceive of running a daw without them, I am now a totally happy user of vst with bitwig and don't miss AU at all! I don't think I came across one single synth or effect that didn't have a vst equivalent on the installer. Maybe I was just lucky.

Either way, can totally live without them now and don't even care if BW doesn't support them in future.

What I DO want, is all the plugin makers to agree finally on one standard format! :wink:

Dale

I'd rather see VST3 support. But AU would be welcome too, still have some plugs that are AU/vst3 only.

Some 32 bit Audio Units are working with the help of Image Line's Minihost Modular the operative word being some, but your mileage may vary... [I had to edit this post as I was using version 1.5.0 as of my initial post & 1.5.7 is now available which I am downloading as I write this, off to do some testing....]

I use metaplugin to load my au's, it works, but it's not ideal.

PHY6 wrote:I use metaplugin to load my au's, it works, but it's not ideal.

Why isn't it ideal?

No support for aupresets for a start. Bidule is marginally better, but also more expensive (but it at least loads aupresets, although it doesn't handle them particularly well, plus it also enables things like Rewire support and better VST3 support too).

narosis wrote:
PHY6 wrote:I use metaplugin to load my au's, it works, but it's not ideal.

Why isn't it ideal?
Because you have to set the parameter you want to automate first inside metaplugin before you can automate it.
And I think it's always better to run it without the 'shell'.
I'm happy it does sidechaining though.

Return to “Bitwig”