MadTracker

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any thoughts? I'm just curious if anyone is using it, or had any experience with it.
I want to get into doing music/sound for indie (and maybe one day more) games and after trying out many, many trackers, this was the best thing I could find that has a replay routine and is the most friendly as far as usability goes (others always had some BS going on with them... no replay, bad interface, unstable, sample issues) and has some possibilities as far as sound quality goes. I can make a couple simple effects in synthmaker that can be distributed along with the modules if they were to make their way into any games that would go a long way toward increasing sound quality. Actually, this is my first real step back in to the VST world, I got sick of modern host and their endless fiddling a while back and migrated to trackers, eventually ended up buying hardware synths and getting to know my audio editor. It has been really rewarding, but now need a happy medium because Milky Tracker, as great as it may be, just doesn't handle stereo sound and uses a very odd sample rate that makes things a pain sometimes.

Anyway, the MT community seems to be fairly dead on its site... was wondering if anyone here uses it?
In the future there will be robots!

Madtracker was a great tracker many years ago, and while it's still pretty capable I don't think it is being developed any more. A better alternative is Renoise which is by far the most advanced tracker ever made. It's still under active development and matches (and in some cases surpasses) many other DAWS for features. It's based on the fasttracker 2 paradigm, which Madtracker was also based on so transition is fairly easy if you're familiar with trackers.

If you need a full-featured and stable tracking environment for all your music making needs, going with Renoise is the only route. I prefer MadTracker to Renoise and used to use it for years, but it's dead since 2006 and appears to have minor graphic glitches, all sorts of issues with several MIDI interfaces and all sorts of incompatibilities with many VST plugins, especially under recent Windows incarnations; on XP it seemed to work a bit more reliably. If you only do samples and an effect every other track, it's pretty much okay. Try the freeware version first and see if it's stable for you!

If you want a full blown DAW with possibilities of VST's etc Renoise but my favorite is SunVox that has so many things going for it that I started writing about it and gave up as it would have become to lenghty and do not have time now!
It is for free go to warmplace.ru and check it out.
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

Good call on SunVox, it's a superb tracker as well - it runs on just about anything you can imagine but is modern and very capable.

Thanks for the replys all, very valuable advice. What I need is something that has replay capability, can be used for games, and to be honest the only reason I haven't started with SunVox yet, is because I mainly work with samples (hardware synths) and it won't import the loop points in with the sample, makes it hard to justify all the extra work.

As soon as that happens I'm going to be all over it. Truly I wish Milky Tracker accepted stereo samples and had at least a few built in effects. It's a joy to use.
In the future there will be robots!

Then try OpenMPT!

Yep, Modplug is the only tracker I got comfortable with completely. Sadly it is very limited and clunky when adding in vst effects and modulation.

MadTracker doesn't work with all x32 VST instruments. Modplug even supports x64.

Arkmabat, what version you use? I dont have problems to use vsti and vst and automate them ( in native .mptm format). One thing that is missing - proper mixer. But OpenMPT is in active developement, so I will hope... Sorry for off topic, but Madtracker is dead anyway.

Ahhh.. MadTracker. Such good memories.. It was by far my favourite tracker after the DOS days. Really sad it is not developed anymore. :(
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

pigfront wrote:Arkmabat, what version you use? I dont have problems to use vsti and vst and automate them ( in native .mptm format). One thing that is missing - proper mixer. But OpenMPT is in active developement, so I will hope... Sorry for off topic, but Madtracker is dead anyway.
Adding and routing them is a bit of a pain if you want to work entirely in modplug

Otherwise my favorite tracker though, Renoise is more modernized and has a mixer and everything but it also has it's own hoops to jump through like being unable to select just a volume column and needing to use the advanced edit content mask, no cut notes, no measure highlight, the track system meaning that you could need a ton of columns even if you don't have too much polyphony at any one particular time. Those are the two biggest remaining trackers though, not very much else left that is even stable enough to consider on modern systems nevermind features and preferences

Hi, what do you mean by "replay capability"?

I don't know if you've looked at Radium, but 3.0 is almost complete and should be released quite soon. The latest release candidate was released yesterday. Radium can import loop points from samples, and since you are working with hardware synths, you might want to be interested in doing midi sequencing as well, since radium supports that too (probably the only "tracker" that does). (BTW. I don't think Renoise is the "most advanced tracker ever made", which was stated above.) (Oh, and this was a plug, I'm the author of Radium. ;-))

@kmatheussen - Radium looks really interesting (and does indeed seem to offer a lot of features that Renoise doesn't - they look like two different beasts). I'll download it and have a play - it looks a bit daunting but very promising. Very glad to see this kind of stuff being developed.

The OP mentioned music for computer games, so probably replay capabilty means that there is a player or at least an open format so the module file can be played back from the game. If the music should be in .wav or .mp3 format, using a tracker is somewhat pointless unless you make a chiptune. (but this seems not to be the case)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”