New NI Synths are out - Rounds/Polyplex/Kontour

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

my post you quoted was from 5 months ago

Just got a "Go behind the scenes - the making of KONTOUR" promo mail from NI

Hmmmm, concluding that these plugs is not selling as hot cakes, or by word of mouth

Numanoid wrote:Just got a "Go behind the scenes - the making of KONTOUR" promo mail from NI

Hmmmm, concluding that these plugs is not selling as hot cakes, or by word of mouth
need not necessarily be a bad sign imo. however, i guess many ni customers are becoming tired of "only" reaktor ensembles and / or kontakt instruments being released for quite a while now... plus - and this is pretty subjective and might not be all too fair - many people (myself included) might see kontour as just another update of spark/cha-osc/prism. of course it might have improved and sound quite different, but in the end it's pretty much the same approach
and, finally, i mean, it's called NATIVE instruments, right? so time's up for a new NATIVE plugin if you ask me ;) be it fm9/massive2/absynth6/reaktor6 or something completely original

Numanoid wrote:Just got a "Go behind the scenes - the making of KONTOUR" promo mail from NI

I really don't think NI was doing much to promote the new instruments to begin with, other than mentioning them as bullet points at Komplete 10's release.

NI promoted Monark a lot more when it came out, and they have done more to push their "Action" and "Session" lines than they have with Kontour, Polyplex, or Rounds.

Of the three new Reaktor instruments in Komplete, Polyplex seems to get the most community discussion, Rounds seems less talked about in forums, but there are about as many articles and tutorials around for it as for Polyplex. But there's very little stuff, by comparison, about Kontour. NI's probably just trying to get the word out.

Sim.Sky wrote:

need not necessarily be a bad sign imo. however, i guess many ni customers are becoming tired of "only" reaktor ensembles and / or kontakt instruments being released for quite a while now... plus - and this is pretty subjective and might not be all too fair - many people (myself included) might see kontour as just another update of spark/cha-osc/prism. of course it might have improved and sound quite different, but in the end it's pretty much the same approach
and, finally, i mean, it's called NATIVE instruments, right? so time's up for a new NATIVE plugin if you ask me ;) be it fm9/massive2/absynth6/reaktor6 or something completely original
Spark and Cha-osc yes to an extent, they employ some similar designs in terms of use of feedback, although the synthesis method is different (phase mod rather than subtractive) but not so much Prism, which is very different (and amazing). I'm not sure how well they are selling, or even if that is relevant, they have always been fond of highlighting Stephan Schmitt's role in the creation of these synths and it's useful to know more about their development. btw the 'Native' refers to not being reliant on DSP, nothing to do with whether they use Reaktor or VST/AU etc. So these are all 'native', there is no contradiction.

There's a few of these 'behind the scenes" vids making the rounds now. Ableton has one out too.

Frankly, I really don't care to see how the sausage is made. Give me another tips 'n' tricks vid any day.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

I'd be happier with the Reaktor synths if Komplete Kontrol worked much better than it does. And I'm actually pretty optimistic on that front, in the long term.

It seems to me that NI's over-arching vision is the unification of their range, where everything integrates well with everything else. KK is a critical link there, but it only (and barely) achieves an absolute minimum in terms of functionality. If that got even remotely sophisticated then suddenly all these other synths would become much more accessible to people.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

aMUSEd wrote:
Sim.Sky wrote:

[…] btw the 'Native' refers to not being reliant on DSP, nothing to do with whether they use Reaktor or VST/AU etc. So these are all 'native', there is no contradiction.
haha, i'm quite aware of that - was meant in a funny/ironic way ;) i'd just like to see another piece of software that doesn't require any "shell" like reaktor or kontakt, and therefore would be "more native", if you will ;)

I think NI has basically trained a lot of their customers to wait for the "50% off Komplete upgrades" sales.

I know I am. Although I dig it, it would seem very, very silly of me to spend €99 euros on Kontour, when chances are, by waiting probably 3-4 more months, at most, I'll be able get......

Kontour
Rounds
The Grandeur
The Maverick
The Gentleman
Polyplex
Drumlab
Session Horns Pro
Molekular
Rise & Hit
Discovery Series Cuba
Action Strikes
Kinetic Metal
Supercharger GT

all for €199.50.
"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." - Carl Jung

stroker_ace wrote:

I think NI has basically trained a lot of their customers to wait for the "50% off Komplete upgrades" sales.

I know I am. Although I dig it, it would seem very, very silly of me to spend €99 euros on Kontour, when chances are, by waiting probably 3-4 more months, at most, I'll be able get......

Kontour
Rounds
The Grandeur
The Maverick
The Gentleman
Polyplex
Drumlab
Session Horns Pro
Molekular
Rise & Hit
Discovery Series Cuba
Action Strikes
Kinetic Metal
Supercharger GT

all for €199.50.
^^ this

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
stroker_ace wrote:

Kontour
Rounds
The Grandeur
The Maverick
The Gentleman
Polyplex
Drumlab
Session Horns Pro
Molekular
Rise & Hit
Discovery Series Cuba
Action Strikes
Kinetic Metal
Supercharger GT

all for €199.50.
^^ this
Better than waiting for the 50% off is to wait just a couple more months, which is usually when the next Komplete comes out. That's like getting both upgrades at 50% at the same time rather than waiting another year for the next 50% off. Of course the longer you wait there you save on a Komplete upgrade but I say if you're going to wait almost a year for a 50% off sale, might as well hold off until the next Komplete, therefor upgrading every 2 Kompletes.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Better than waiting for the 50% off is to wait just a couple more months, which is usually when the next Komplete comes out. That's like getting both upgrades at 50% at the same time rather than waiting another year for the next 50% off. Of course the longer you wait there you save on a Komplete upgrade but I say if you're going to wait almost a year for a 50% off sale, might as well hold off until the next Komplete, therefor upgrading every 2 Kompletes.
Yeah, I'm skipping the KU10 upgrade this year. I blew the money on Omnisphere 1/2 instead. So far, looks like I made the right choice. I really don't need another Reaktor synth or another "Pro" Kontakt sample set. :D

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
stroker_ace wrote:

Kontour
Rounds
The Grandeur
The Maverick
The Gentleman
Polyplex
Drumlab
Session Horns Pro
Molekular
Rise & Hit
Discovery Series Cuba
Action Strikes
Kinetic Metal
Supercharger GT

all for €199.50.
^^ this
Better than waiting for the 50% off is to wait just a couple more months, which is usually when the next Komplete comes out. That's like getting both upgrades at 50% at the same time rather than waiting another year for the next 50% off. Of course the longer you wait there you save on a Komplete upgrade but I say if you're going to wait almost a year for a 50% off sale, might as well hold off until the next Komplete, therefor upgrading every 2 Kompletes.
an initial investment to komplete ultimate is not something i can manage. once i sell off the few NI pieces i have i can crossgrade from reaktor to komplete for about 250€. considering i have never owned komplete, i don't have any issue staying behind the upgrade curve and waiting for every second summer sale

that first 250 buy-in will be incredible value

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
stroker_ace wrote:

Kontour
Rounds
The Grandeur
The Maverick
The Gentleman
Polyplex
Drumlab
Session Horns Pro
Molekular
Rise & Hit
Discovery Series Cuba
Action Strikes
Kinetic Metal
Supercharger GT

all for €199.50.
^^ this
Not me: I'm jonesin' too bad for Molekular, Kinetic Metal, and Session Horns Pro. And I'm really curious about Rise & Hit and Action Strikes. Kontour, Rounds, and the rest I'll look at as incredibly awesome freebies.

The K9 to K10 upgrade seems a bit thin, comparatively speaking, but for a K9U user, I think K10U at 50% off is a no-brainer.
"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." - Carl Jung

The best way is to get Reaktor on the anual 99 USD sale and the crossgrade to KU for $400 in the following summer sale.
dedication to flying

Return to “Instruments”