ZynAddSubFx (PadSynth) - why does nothing come close? :(

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ZynAddSubFX

I used a similar algorithm (partially derived from the PadSynth concept) for the XFORM function in Audio-Term to resynthesize scanable wavetables/soundscapes from samples. It uses no partial faders but the sample itself to set the parameters. Some examples:

Scanning through a song intro with an Envelope:

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/77ppxmuuhdtdjjy ... edLoop.mp3

Some resynthesized samples:

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/mpnurujr3a1gocw ... tables.mp3

A kind of improvisation with a single wavetable osc:

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/ipkskb3uxhob8x3 ... _Ghost.mp3

Unfortunately VAZ synths are the only products able to play these files in a wavetable oscillator (because here the slot sizes can be very large). May be I'll include an improved version in my current project.
Last edited by blacktomcat666 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why do people have to be so nasty? I went to the official forum and asked if I should bother trying to install this on Windows 7 64 bit. The answer I got was less than professional. I get that this is a free VST but that doesn't mean you have to treat people like they're children.

So I guess I won't bother trying to install this with that kind of attitude.

To the OP? what exact version and OS are you using and crashes?

Please provide information to replicate the crash.

Also most parameters CAN be automated by the host. You just have to select and enable them.
So I'm very confused when you say that it's inflexible in terms of automation. Almost any knob can be automated.

If you're reseting the preset location everytime, then again, you're not using it right. It may be because of UAC. It means Zyn can't write the cfg file to its location. Please provide more details (like the path of the dll).

I use it in every project, and haven't had a crash for more than a year.

@brok landers: please also tell me how do you get it to crash.
@MaliceX: there is no .ini file. There's supposed to be a cfg file in the same folder with the dll. Zyn attempts to write that file at startup. If it can't write it, try to create the file yourself, and let it fill the contents afterwards.

How does the DiscoDSP Discovery Pro implementation compare?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

wagtunes wrote:Well, I tried it a while ago in Cubase 7 and I couldn't even get the GUI to show up right. That was in 2013. I doubt much has changed since then.
ZynAddSubFX is kind of special in that it opens remote panel, a dummy window to open and close the external editors.

I think this can lead to problems in DAWs

jackoo wrote:To the OP? what exact version and OS are you using and crashes?
Remember that this thread was started back in 2008, the OP is probably on a different OS now.

oh, sorry! I didn't realize. A lot has changed from 2008 :)

It's not so easy to port the new black skin, because in order to make automation work I wrote custom code for every GUI knob (and all this would break with the newer skin).

jackoo wrote:oh, sorry! I didn't realize. A lot has changed from 2008 :)

It's not so easy to port the new black skin, because in order to make automation work I wrote custom code for every GUI knob (and all this would break with the newer skin).
whoops!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

fandango wrote:I seem to recall Paul Nasca saying there was an option to export the wavetable being added to ZynAddSubFX. It's probably already in there, I must have a look!
It's there in one the later VST versions. I haven't done it in a while, but it works. I used the export in a later version of Discovery Pro, which also has it's own PAD generator, if remember correctly.

Return to “Instruments”