FL Studio 12 BETA available

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FL Studio All Plugins Edition

Yeah... Cubase may (dunno for sure though, haven't tried them all) do that better than anyone, the master key thing where you can change the key of the song and everything follows, by musical key and not just numerical transpose value, while tagging things like drum tracks not to follow any of those global changes. They thought all of that through pretty well imo.

The only other thing I've ever owned that seemed to do that pretty well (by musical key) was Acid.

But yes, that's part of the catch-22 with the information age, that we can see everything everywhere so we often want things we wouldn't have even cared about at all if we hadn't seen them somewhere else. It's a hard thing to let go of... or not be affected by. Bitwig Studio is a great example of that, people making "gotta have it" FR's for it's subjective maybe new features a year before anyone ever even had it or used it. :)

I gave up a lot of really nice stuff when I put Cubase down, but I'm cool with it now. Probably took a good 6 months to really let it all go and not think about it so much.

Interestingly enough, I often ran FL as a VSTI in Cubase to take advantage of FL's midi seeding stuff and the pattern stuff, which is great. They worked really well together.

toothnclaw wrote:The point is that the installer should provide more options what to be NOT installed.
Every DAW installer should, but many of them don't. It's not just FL.
[Insert Signature Here]

Image-Line wrote:We are excited to announce the FL Studio 12 Beta is now available from the Image-Line forums. Read more about FL Studio 12 here as it develops.

BETA information and links here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40x-WoAe3NM

Please remember FL Studio includes Lifetime Free Updates, so you can buy FL Studio now and get 12 free when it's released.

Regards Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40x-WoAe3NM

looks Awesome. my only request is a time signature update.

memyselfandus wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
tony tony chopper wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:is something totally impossible to happen for FL?
it's technically possible if I add a tempo track (something that's only needed for this), but I don't see the point. We're talking about making a little easier something that only a little niche needs.
Not sure why a tempo track is necessary for that... tempo is already automatable as a parameter in FL. So basically the play cursor CAN already change its speed in the playlist already... just being governed by the tempo automation.

This "linear grid" mode would just additionally scale the speed of the play cursor, according to the time signature of the pattern's time signature.

Oh wait, yeah, I think I see where the lockup could end up being. Having patterns stacked vertically with different time signatures at once (that's cool from polyrhythmic standpoint, too!). Yeah, tempo track does seem a necessity for this, after all - in that case it would dictate both the tempo AND time signature of the whole project, and individual pattern time signature settings would need to be disregarded. Oh well! I know quite a few people using FL that could get a lot mileage out of such feature (one Blake Robinson of Synthetic Orchestra, for example).

And it wouldn't be "a little easier". It would be HEAPS easier, as paterpeter says. There would be no need for "mental bridging" - 1 of the pattern would align with 1 of the playlist/timeline. That does make sense indeed.

Thanks a billion for this help and information. I know more than a few musicians who would use the shit out of this. :hug:

Another important thing to be aware of is that The metronome needs to follow the click of the time signature being used. I'm not sure if the template would fix that at the same time because I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to the software aspect.
EvilDragon wrote:In case of tempo track being added, it would be easy to make the metronome follow the time signatures on the tempo track. Everything would come together!
possible fix for time sig stuff. ok back to the weather

LawrenceF wrote:Yeah... Cubase may (dunno for sure though, haven't tried them all) do that better than anyone, the master key thing where you can change the key of the song and everything follows, by musical key and not just numerical transpose value, while tagging things like drum tracks not to follow any of those global changes. They thought all of that through pretty well imo.

The only other thing I've ever owned that seemed to do that pretty well (by musical key) was Acid.

But yes, that's part of the catch-22 with the information age, that we can see everything everywhere so we often want things we wouldn't have even cared about at all if we hadn't seen them somewhere else. It's a hard thing to let go of... or not be affected by. Bitwig Studio is a great example of that, people making "gotta have it" FR's for it's subjective maybe new features a year before anyone ever even had it or used it. :)

I gave up a lot of really nice stuff when I put Cubase down, but I'm cool with it now. Probably took a good 6 months to really let it all go and not think about it so much.

Interestingly enough, I often ran FL as a VSTI in Cubase to take advantage of FL's midi seeding stuff and the pattern stuff, which is great. They worked really well together.
Did you switch from Cubase to FL? Is there any sound quality difference between the two?

I didn't switch, I used them both and I still use FL with both S1 and Reaper.

If I was doing hip-hop I would often start in FL standalone and do most of the music track and then later open that entire song in Cubase or S1 now in FL running as a VI and record vocals and mix. I've never mixed anything in FL and probably never will (preference, nothing more) and afaik (not gonna help to pry open that nasty can of worms :)) they sound the same.

To be fair to other FL users, my confusion over the time sig thing is more that after hearing about it for so long, I'd think if it was that important and they're against doing it (no idea), that most who really needed that for their music would have moved on already. I got tired of asking Steinberg to let me move mixer channels directly (among other things), I do get it. I moved on. I'm not still ragging them about it 5 years later, I literally don't care (if they ever do it there) anymore.

Sometimes you just don't get what you want, and - sometimes - refusing to ever accept that sometimes you just don't get what you want is a sign of immaturity.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fellow DAW whores unite

Anyway, If it's at version 12 with a large user base and people successfully making records with it, and they haven't seen a real need to add multiple time signatures yet after a couple of decades, that is "FL Studio" and maybe it won't be changing any time soon, if ever.

Like with drug rehab, maybe it's just time to move out of the denial stage.

LawrenceF wrote:Well, that's the real irony. Guys will log in here every other day calling people they've never met stupid and dumb and all other kinds of personal things, because something they (the target) created isn't perfect and they - deserve and are entitled to - perfection.
FWIW Lawrence, we sleep pretty well at night knowing that we deliver unprecedented value to our customers. They only need to buy FL Studio once and over the last 16 years we have given customers far more than they originally paid for: http://www.image-line.com/flstudio/history.php ... and we plan to give people who buy it now and tomorrow the same deal. It's something we love to do.

What people don't seem to handle too well is straight talk.

Guy: "I want this"

IL: "Why do you want that" (we always ask this to make sure we understand what they are doing)

Guy: (already angry we even asked) "I want XYZ because i need it and every other DAW software has it"

IL: "FL doesn't have that, but you can do it this way. Or this way or this way."

Guy: (now really angry) "You guys suck and your mother was a hampster"

...and so it goes.

In the background we are planning XYZ (or something better) but not for a while, to quote Kimi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhqg8lgmRts

Regards Scott
Last edited by Image-Line on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

Preaching to the choir. We live in the age of entitlement where too many people think they're entitled to stuff. That's probably why the KVR buy and sell forum is so busy, because users are so transient and want it all, all the time, and usually really cheap.

It takes many years to even make something like a professional daw and the entitlement crowd always shows up on day one picking it apart, as if they could actually do it better. The real shame is that (too often) more legitimate and concise complaints and concerns often get drowned by that noise, the noise from people who already own 7 pro daws and are still everywhere asking for more stuff and complaining. :)

Like you guys, I don't give a fraction of a shit what anyone thinks about me saying that out loud.

Image-Line wrote: "You guys suck and your mother was a hampster"
:lol: Sums it!

Your daw is great, just like the rest of them. Rest assured as you do. Spoiled generation you have to cope with.

However trolls and puppet masters couldn't care less about what the product actually can do....they just want to fart at whatever to start a shitstorm, and we know they are around here too, don't we? :wink:

Cheers

I have S1, Reaper, Acid Pro8, FL11, and a slew of others here....all are great at what they deliver...

If the hater/entitled/whining whaaaa'ers want to continue crying....all I can say is, you never had it so good.

Go back to your miserable worm ridden garret room and cry your little hate-filled hearts out.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

IncarnateX wrote:However trolls and puppet masters couldn't care less about what the product actually can do....they just want to fart at whatever to start a shitstorm, and we know they are around here too, don't we? :wink:Cheers
They're what ruins it. It's fine if one has a legitimate gripe, but it seems as if it's done for sport. These people obviously don't even use the software. They just bitch and moan about it.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”