midi feedback only on channel 1?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Am i doing something wrong, or does midi input only work on channel 1? I would expect that if i have a split set to channel 2, it would only be listening to channel 2 midi input to light notes. As it stands, i have a sequence recording and playing back on split 1 (channel 1), then i switch over to split 2 (channel 2) and i am still receiving midi feedback from the first splits recording. this doesnt work very well, as i means i dont have proper feedback for playing recorded loops when i switch between instruments...

This should not be the case, splits should only react to the MIDI channels that they're sending out on. Are you sure that the MIDI mode is not ChannelPerNote and ChannelPerRow, meaning that the split is using more than one channel?
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

I've run into similar problems a number of times. For my cases, the fault was not with the LinnStrument but with the DAW or virtual-instrument program. MIDI works as advertised, for example, for Kontakt running multis in standalone mode.

ahh, i see. i must have had it on channel per row. seems to be working now

but im surprised to see multiple pads lighting up from a single midi note in channel per row. if i send e2 on channel 3, then it lights up every instance of e2, on every row regardless of the the channel they are set to. Shouldnt it just light the pad on the row corresponding to that channel?

It behaves the same as if you would play on the surface. Also, requiring a specific channel to be selected for one particular note would make it quite cumbersome for existing MIDI recordings to show up correctly. It would require going in and editing most notes. This would defeat the teaching nature of this feature.
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

its a decision which introduces a great deal of confusion however. why light up a pad which is completely disconnected from the note which is playing? The approach you take makes sense for one-channel and channel-per-note, but for channel-per-row, it indicates behaviour which is not true (ie a pad lit in a channel which has no playing notes).

also, id urge you to look beyond this functionality as simple a 'teaching tool'. Its an important component of a live multi-instrument looping setup, to be able to know at a glance which instruments are playing back is incredibly important in a live situation.

Hi Lokey,

Roger and I had a discussion around this and we agree with you. I'll change the behavior of the ChannelPerRow mode so that it will only highlight the exact MIDI note and channel combination for incoming MIDI, without repeated notes.

This should be in the next beta going out.

Take care,

Geert

perfect! thanks for your consideration with all this geert, i truly appreciate it!

I committed it today to the source repository, if you can build it yourself you can already try it out. Otherwise I'll build a beta in the next week or so.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”