EEG Multitrack & Sustain Pedal issue

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greg - I am running the latest release of EEG and am seeing an issue that leaves notes stuck on (Note Events Used in Kontakt) when using multi tracking and the sustain pedal. To reproduce:

- select the init preset
- turn multi tracking on (the more tracks the greater the issue)
- Disable Legato Range Up and Down
- play / arpeggiate the 3 notes of a few triads over and over with the sustain pedal on
- stop playing

What I am getting is notes that keep ringing. When I look at the Kontakt engine I see that the Notes Events Used still shows notes playing. To kill these notes, I repeatedly press the sustain pedal until they go away.

This does not seem to happen when I am not using multi tracking, or if I leave the Legato Range Up/Down enabled while multi tracking. I am also able to reproduce this inside my DAW (Cubase 7.5) and on the standalone Kontakt 4.

John
Cubase 7.5 / 8 x64 | Win 7 x64 | i7 930 | Giga UD5 rev 1.0 - F6 | 24 GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS | RME Fireface 400

Hi John,

Ah, great--thanks for letting me know, and also for taking the time to identify the cause of the bug and how to reproduce it! There are a few other small bugs I've fixed already, so I'll look into this one as well to fix for a patch.

Later,

Greg
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

No problem Greg - glad to help. This one had me scratching my head as to why it would work fine on some patches and have an issue with others.

I noticed that it also happens on single tracking and seems to be more of an issue around the number of Note Events getting over 100. Below 100 note events - everything seems to work fine for multi tracking and single tracking. I am guessing that the multi tracking is just getting you to the issue quicker.

Hope this helps...

John
Cubase 7.5 / 8 x64 | Win 7 x64 | i7 930 | Giga UD5 rev 1.0 - F6 | 24 GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS | RME Fireface 400

Okay, I fixed the bug, so that'll be in the next update release (probably happening soon since there were a few other fixes as well as more reverb pedals added).

Beyond that there's an issue when you have too many voices at once, as you noticed. I could always put some sort of limit to prevent that, though, we'll see.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Greg - sounds good.

I wanted to mention that I have also seen ASIO spikes that may be tied to the too many notes that you mentioned. When you arpeggiate on a 3 note chord with the sustain pedal on - you see the number of notes climb. When you release the pedal, sometimes you see ASIO spikes - especially at low buffer settings. My guess is that this is around all of the pent up release samples that get played at once.

Your idea of reducing the number of notes when using the sustain pedal makes sense - as you probably do not need all of those notes ringing to simulate the sound of sustained notes on the guitar.

Thanks again for working on this so fast - this is an awesome instrument!

John

I've also definitely noticed some odd stuck notes behavior with the sustain pedal and EEG. I've never used the multitrack function so it has nothing to do with that. I've not noticed the number of note events being exceptionally high, but perhaps that's the issue.

At any rate, I hope your fix will work for what I've experienced as well.

I've also definitely noticed some odd stuck notes behavior with the sustain pedal and EEG. I've never used the multitrack function so it has nothing to do with that. I've not noticed the number of note events being exceptionally high, but perhaps that's the issue.
I've reproduce this without multitracking also. When the note count gets high and you then release the sustain pedal - sometimes an ASIO spike occurs (may sound like an audio crackle - in Cubase the ASIO meter turns red). After this occurs, a few notes remain stuck on.

John

Yeah, the voices aren't getting turned off, so they just accumulate. This was only an issue if you had the legato range off, or if you have the sustain pedal down and play a lot of different keys.

How much CPU it uses depends on the settings. For example, the more tracks you have going at once in the multitracking, the more polyphony each note uses, since it triggers several notes at once. The pick position modeling, when enabled, also doubles the polyphony usage. Other factors such as the pick noises also increase the voice usage. So when you multiply that across multiple notes, the more notes you have playing at once, the greater the CPU usage ends up being.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”