Why I don't use iLok and other Horror Stories

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
And your assertion does not change my valid reasons for preferring dongles. I'm not sure who you're trying to convince here, nor of what, but if you want to convince me that I shouldn't like dongles you're going to have to do much better than what you're doing.
Again, I'm not trying to convince you of anything, per se. I simply stated that if you were trying to convince me of something, that you need a better argument. It wasn't clear what your goal was because you were rambling about things that I hadn't addressed. Now it's clear what your goal was, you are trying to get me to shut-up, which, is solid evidence that you think that I'm disrupting the rant, good, that's the point. You should realize that my point regarding the externalization of hardware, however, is true. That's not opinion, that's simply a recognition of the role that dongles play in the system. I have no concern whether that has value to you, it has value to many people as anyone who's ever had to manage more than a few systems will confirm.

My message is to developers, and to preemptively disrupt what will inevitably be a long chain of me-tos. It works every time, it has clearly worked here.
if pace/ilok doesnt bother you...then just skip over those posts. making derogatory comments and outright insults to people because they talk about a (valid) subject is childish and just plain rude.
Welcome to the real world. Here in the real world, when you start a discussion on a public forum, you expect to see opinion that is different than your own.
it is ultimately those people who derail the threads with thier anti-anti-ilok nonsense and insults.
those people contribute zero to the discussion, and those posts have nothing at all to do with the topic at hand. pace/ilok discussion is perfectly reasonable in thread about software that uses it. if you dont want to talk about pace/ilok...simply skip to the next post, and let the people who do talk amongst themselves.
But, clearly, I DO want to talk about pace/ilok, how valuable I find the approach, and how, if you're a developer and you want my support, i.e., my money, that I'm not at all concerned about such things, in fact, I much prefer it over C/R. Moreover, I clearly add value to the conversation, just because you don't either understand or appreciate my contributions, they are in no way diminished.
im going to just assume that the complete and total irony and hypocrisy of that entire post is utterly lost on you.

and if kvr represents any semblance of "the real world" to you...well then you have my deepest sympathies.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:
im going to just assume that the complete and total irony and hypocrisy of that entire post is utterly lost on you.
Assume what you like, I'm not really interested in your opinion on anything. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt in engaging you, my bad.
and if kvr represents any semblance of "the real world" to you...well then you have my deepest sympathies.
Look, if you want to have a conversation about iLok, then I'm all ears, but I'm not going to engage you in this angsty teengage banter. These are conversations, that's the point, it's really simple. This thread is about iLok, not you.

ghettosynth wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:
Assume what you like, I'm not really interested in your opinion on anything. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt in engaging you, my bad.
Look, if you want to have a conversation about iLok, then I'm all ears, but I'm not going to engage you in this angsty teengage banter. These are conversations, that's the point, it's really simple. This thread is about iLok, not you.
im acutely aware that you are not interested in my opinions. which is exactly the problem. "well it works great for me" is not a conversation. you dont seem to have the slightest interest in actually listening to the reasons people may have for choosing to stay away from ilok. all you seem to care about is making them shut up about it, because its not important to you and youre sick of hearing about it.

your sole tactic on this subject (and its not just you) has been that of a person putting their fingers in their ears and going "la la la la la".

and really? its not about me? teenage angst? thats rich. im not the one teetering precariously close to ad hominems and getting all annoyed.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:
your sole tactic on this subject (and its not just you) has been that of a person putting their fingers in their ears and going "la la la la la".

and really? its not about me? teenage angst? thats rich. im not the one teetering precariously close to ad hominems and getting all annoyed.
and how is that so different from your conversation?
You haven't really discussed the plug or given your horror story.
you sound quite annoyed to me.
IBTL

bluedad wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:

IBTL
discussed what plug? is this a thread about a plugin? i did discuss my story. see the "other" in the title there?

do i sound annoyed to you? well i have no control over how you interpret things...so im fine with that.
ibtl :roll:
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: im acutely aware that you are not interested in my opinions. which is exactly the problem.
It's not a problem for me.

bluedad wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:

IBTL
He hasn't discussed iLok at all. He came into the thread calling other people uppity because they don't have a problem with iLok and has been ranting ever since. My experiences with dongles have been nothing but positive. I sill have my Logic PC dongles from the 90s, they still work.

Like I said, my "tactic", such as it is, is to talk about my positive experiences. I'd love to join in the bitching, but I just don't have anything to bitch about, and when I read the stories of others, it often seems to me like some of you guys just don't do a good job of maintaining your systems.

chaosWyrM wrote:
discussed what plug? is this a thread about a plugin? i did discuss my story. see the "other" in the title there?

do i sound annoyed to you? well i have no control over how you interpret things...so im fine with that.
ibtl :roll:
I was alluding to the ilok, you know, the thing you plug in your computer..well, obviously not you. . but I digress..

ghettosynth wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote: im acutely aware that you are not interested in my opinions. which is exactly the problem.
It's not a problem for me. That said, I'm not interested in your opinions because you are expressing them like a child. As I said, if you want to change my mind, you will have to do better.
all you seem to care about is making them shut up about it, because its not important to you and youre sick of hearing about it.
No, the use of dongles IS important to me, I want to use them, I want to encourage vendors to use them. I think that most problems with dongles are problems of user error, user laziness, and/or user dishonesty.

I'm not saying that iLok is perfect, in fact, it's not my first choice at all, however, I find it less problematic than the alternatives. I certainly don't think that the solution is to start ranting threads on KVR.
No, my sole tactic has been to express my positive experiences in between responding to your rants.
and once again you prove my point for me.

as has been stated, your positive experiences have zero bearing on why someone might choose to not use it. and it has also been stated...i have zero interest in changing your mind about the use of ilok. i am trying to get people to understand that the discussion of ilok is valid and appropriate in a thread about software that uses it.

to which i have heard no rebuttals. only the laments of people who just dont want to see those kinds of posts.

talking about ilok is no different than talking about cpu load, guis, or the availability of x64 versions of things. it is disrespectful, childish, and just plain rude to continually harp on the people who want to discuss it. if being disrespectful, childish, and rude is your bag....well then have at it.

fire away...i have to get ready to go on vacation.

ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: i am trying to get people to understand that the discussion of ilok is valid and appropriate in a thread about software that uses it.
That's exactly what we were doing before you came along and started calling people names.
fire away...i have to get ready to go on vacation.
Again, the thread isn't about you.

I wasn't suggesting that MODs should be locking threads just because someone mentions what CP the software uses.

What I was suggesting, was that any "I won't buy the software because it uses x" posts can be reported & deleted, before it gets out of hand and goes off-topic.

Much the same way that we do not allow any Macs vs PCs discussion anywhere other than in Off-Topic or HPC.

That way people can get the relevant info they want about the software and ask questions and not have to have it turn into ANOTHER CP thread.

It would also be more beneficial for developers to not have their topics hi-jacked.

Personally I think that jumping into a dev's thread to tell them you wont use their software unless they change the CP is REALLY bad etiquette. Unfortunately some other people don't see it that way. :/
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Sweet child in time...

Ben H wrote:I wasn't suggesting that MODs should be locking threads just because someone mentions what CP the software uses.

What I was suggesting, was that any "I won't buy the software because it uses x" posts can be reported & deleted, before it gets out of hand and goes off-topic.
Agreed, in fact, it's a bit of a side point, but I think that locking threads is eye-rollingly childish and lazy. If you don't want people to talk about things then don't run a forum.
Much the same way that we do not allow any Macs vs PCs discussion anywhere other than in Off-Topic or HPC.

That way people can get the relevant info they want about the software and ask questions and not have to have it turn into ANOTHER CP thread.

It would also be more beneficial for developers to not have their topics hi-jacked.

Personally I think that jumping into a dev's thread to tell them you wont use their software unless they change the CP is REALLY bad etiquette. Unfortunately some other people don't see it that way. :/
Yep, but, all that said it is reasonable to have a good discussion of the pros and cons of the various methods and there's nothing wrong with that in general. The problem is that it seems to attract the masses who get offended that there is as much pro as con and, of course, the inevitable, arguing about arguing.

IMNSHO, a good start would be just to ban everyone on my foe list, that would make KVR a lot better :)

I swear the fist iLok Dongle I bought freaked me out. I installed it everything went fine.

The next morning I woke up and the damn thing was trying to get up inside my body the wrong way, if you know what I mean. Had sprouted little nanotentacles and its little male USB dongle bits were just throbbing at my weak humanly flesh.

I put it back in the USB port and secured it with a lot of barbed wire and landmines. Little f**ker knows its place now.

Codestation wrote:I swear the fist iLok Dongle I bought freaked me out. I installed it everything went fine.

The next morning I woke up and the damn thing was trying to get up inside my body the wrong way, if you know what I mean. Had sprouted little nanotentacles and its little male USB dongle bits were just throbbing at my weak humanly flesh.

I put it back in the USB port and secured it with a lot of barbed wire and landmines. Little f**ker knows its place now.
Yeah, that wasn't the iLok. I know what you mean, I had a similar experience where I woke up to find all my stuff gone and the dongle was chilling on the couch with his eyes rolled back into his head. Turned out that the little a**hole had sold all of my stuff and used the money to buy some smack. I complained to my vender, but they told me that my unit was five versions too old. You see, I thought that I had an iLok but it turns out that I had an iHoc.

Your dongle must have been exactly twice as many revisions out of date as mine.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”