New Chainer Plugin from Plug&Mix

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ThomasHelzle wrote:Ok, so it seems that the chainer installation installs everything a second time in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Plug and Mix.
The plugins are in some special .pmplugin format, whatever that may be.
Yes and you probably can't delete the original P&M effects in .dll format because you'll break compatibility with older project unless somehow the new plugins retain the original's VST ID numbers. Not sure if older projects will be able to find the new plugins in their proprietary format.......

It would be really easy just to walk away from this since I already own Magma and don't really want to buy it again but that Chainer GUI is so damn sexy I'll probably buy it for $49 and clog my system up with another 600+ megs of P&M plugins...........
Last edited by Teksonik on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I would guess those .pmplugin files are specific to the chainer.
Anyway, doesn't really matter - I don't really need it and while it looks good, all it does can be done natively in Bitwig already (and better), so I uninstalled the (free) chainer without real regret - chainers without added functionality don't make much sense for my use anyway and just add another layer of complexity (plugins loading plugins...).

I just find it funny that P&M doesn't put the resources of the plugins in one common folder so that the different plugin versions all use the same images (I guess that the GUIs are what creates these enormous files). Since the plugins themself are rather simple, I'd assume that the core-code would fit in some kilobytes per plugin...
Seems like a massive waste of SSD-space to me.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Same here, Bitwig rules :tu:

Well just as I started to really like this as a cool way to layer up synths and add effects the bugs started to hit. First the Mixer stopped showing up then the GUI got corrupted then Reaper crashed and it's hard to make Reaper crash here...........

Nice idea but poorly tested........maybe you could let "the developers" know about this too.....
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I installed this last night. Great freebie for P&M owners.

I got some use out of this right away. Couple of observations:

1) Download took 4 tries. The first three were corrupted files. This almost never happens to me. I have very high speed web access. Can only assume it's the devs servers.

2) Using the chainer with multiple effects did not see any CPU load savings over using traditional insert slots in Cubase 8. I thought this was supposed to be one of the benefits.

3) There should be some instructions for proper download and installation SOMEWHERE. I had to hunt around to figure out which file was appropriate for me, and even then it wasn't entirely clear what that I didn't have to download the Chainer IN ADDITION TO the P&M pack of stomps. And then I didn't realize that you still have to run a scan to access the P&M FX even though they are part of the Chainer download. A brief FAQ posted in a conspicuous place would have saved me a ton of time.

3) Love the interface. Very easy to use. Intuitive. And a very convenient way to keep your FX chains organized. I like how the individual FX pop right up for editing. Nice.

4) It would be nice to have some patches included for those of us with the full bundle. Show us what this thing is capable of. Failing that, how about a patch exchange?

5) Would also have been nice to get an email or some kind of personal notification instead of having to trip over it on KVR.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

ThomasHelzle wrote:I would guess those .pmplugin files are specific to the chainer.
Anyway, doesn't really matter - I don't really need it and while it looks good, all it does can be done natively in Bitwig already (and better), so I uninstalled the (free) chainer without real regret - chainers without added functionality don't make much sense for my use anyway and just add another layer of complexity (plugins loading plugins...).
For me this would only be of value in BWS if it loaded AUs and VST3s too (and their presets)

Damn right. Come on, Bitwig, start supporting AU plugs !

so what about that "investor certificate" then? it was asked already, but wasn't answered...
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:so what about that "investor certificate" then? it was asked already, but wasn't answered...
Not needed is it? Chainer is free to P&M owners?

lnikj wrote:
Burillo wrote:so what about that "investor certificate" then? it was asked already, but wasn't answered...
Nope. Full version is currently $49--for everyone.
The free version works only with P&M plugs. The full version works with all .vst and vsti.

With the investor's discount, price would be $25. I'd get it for that. But otherwise, I'd just use the freebie.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote:
lnikj wrote:
Nope. Full version is currently $49--for everyone.
The free version works only with P&M plugs. The full version works with all .vst and vsti.

With the investor's discount, price would be $25. I'd get it for that. But otherwise, I'd just use the freebie.

-B
Ah..OK.

I just installed the chainer.
When I click on the arrow to load a PM plugin it shows nothing in the PM Plug-In Section.
I can load VST Plugins. (Demo Mode )
Why I don´t see any of my plug and mix plugins ?

Do I have first to authorize the chainer ?

My Plug and mix plugins are already authorized.
My Recording Studio http://www.echopark.at

Dammit I really like this Chainer.....until it crashes. The Spread knob really brings a nice sweetness to synths. But it keeps crashing Reaper. I'll try in some other hosts but on my studio computer it will be used almost all the time in Reaper. :?

EDIT : Tried it in FL Studio. No crashes but if you open the Prefs drop down it leaves a GUI artifact in both FL and Reaper. I can't see any way to assign anything to the Mixer Channels and not have I been able to find a user manual.....

Teksonik wrote:Dammit I really like this Chainer.....until it crashes. The Spread knob really brings a nice sweetness to synths. But it keeps crashing Reaper. I'll try in some other hosts but on my studio computer it will be used almost all the time in Reaper. :?

EDIT : Tried it in FL Studio. No crashes but if you open the Prefs drop down it leaves a GUI artifact in both FL and Reaper. I can't see any way to assign anything to the Mixer Channels and not have I been able to find a user manual.....
Hello Teksonik,

As we are in charge of technical support for P&M Chainer, could you please PM me with all info (Synths you are using on the VST chainer, etc...) Do you use Windows 7 or 8 ?, 32 or 64 bit. More info you will give us, easier it will be to reproduce the problem and fix it :wink:

Please let me know and I will send your bugs report to our lead developer and it will be fixed soon.
(Normally bugs must be reported directly to P&M but because it's the weekend, I'll see if I can reproduce the problem on my Windows machines)

Thanks you in advance,
Bernie Torelli
http://nomadfactory.com

Great to see the developer participate in this thread :tu:

Return to “Effects”