Gauging interest in an extensive Emulator II library for Kontakt

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

What kind of Emulator II Kontakt library would you like to see us make?

Fully comprehensive EII library, wide range of sounds, pricy by our standards
55%
Smaller EII library, handpicked, more limited range of sounds, medium-range price
20%
Not really interested in EII sounds thanks
10%
Fish
15%

Total votes: 20

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

About a year ago we acquired a beautiful Emulator II and a huge stack of 5.25" floppies containing a wealth of sounds, from genre-defining staples to some real oddities. Obviously our plan was to sample away and end up with a huge stack of Kontakt patches where the floppies used to be :D

We've been hard at work on this for some months now, and the results are starting to show. The Kontakt stack is growing, the Floppy stack is shrinking. But it's taking a long time simply because we took the view early on that, if we were going to do this, we ought to do it properly. That has meant:
  • • Proper sampling from the EII itself, not batch-converting Emulator files (seriously, these abominations actually exist :( )
    • Sampling every single note across the 5-octave range. A lot of the EII's character comes from its interpolation, and we wanted to preserve every detail of that, not have Kontakt interpolate for it.
    • Taking long samples to preserve the character of the original looping, plus any LFO or filter activity the EII was generating.
    • Using velocity-switching and velocity-morphing as necessary to preserve the behaviour of patches that relied on that (for cross-switching samples, or for opening the filter).
So you can see, we set out from the start to capture every detail possible. That process is still ongoing, and we're at it pretty much round the clock :lol:

We've also finalised the feature set and GUI, which looks like this:

As you can see, we've added some controls to allow you to sculpt the EII's patches, but we've also put a nice big VINTAGE button in there which, when pressed, disables all the modern bells and whistles – the filter, the LFOs, the envelopes, the effects – and serves you up just the raw sound of the original EII patch. We're hoping that's the best of both worlds – control, plus authenticity if you want it.

Now to the reason for the post. Although we've got a LOT of instruments in the bag, there remain a LOT more on the disks that we could work our way through. Some of these are of course repeated variations on a given sound (so far we have quite a lot of orchestral Strings patches, for example; we even found two separate Steel Drum soundsets!). Now, we could pick and choose from these and just sample a representative selection, which would mean a smaller download size and (if we're fair, which sometimes we are) a cheaper product.

On the other hand, we could sample the whole damn lot, which would yield a very comprehensive library – a kind of "Emulator II Complete" – but would mean a hefty file size on download, a higher price-point (by our standards, I mean – it would still likely be under £100), and a longer wait (if you're the impatient type). So before embarking on any further sampling, we basically just wanted to ask the following:

How many Emulator II instruments do you want?!

A huge, era-spanning Emulator II library in all its 8-bit companded goodness? A leaner collection of handpicked sounds, trusting to our good judgement? Let us know your thoughts. We're going to stick a poll on this one, but please do weigh in in the comments so we know what you're thinking. We'd really like to get this one right – the EII is quite simply one of our favourite machines (ever since Ferris Bueller bunked off school courtesy of its "phlegm FX" disk) and without getting all mushy, we feel a kind of duty of care to its legacy. So... talk to us :wink:

Best wishes,

The Professor (and Mongo)

So why not have the best of both worlds?

Create the full package (Emulator ll Komplete (see what I done there :hihi:)) of all the sounds for those that may want it and from that breakout the smaller instrument specific libraries for those that would want that.

Perhaps with the smaller lots you could create bundles. :shrug:

Of course the entire library could be sold at a discount price compared to the smaller libraries if all were eventually purchased.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

That makes unnervingly good sense :-D
Consider it taken firmly into consideration. Would you theme the smaller bundles ("Strings", "Brass", "Percussion") or have them each be a cross-section ("Add-on Pack 1", "Add-on Pack 2")?

Oh,Oh....sounds like you may need a good marketing manager :hihi: and I happen to be available :D

Yes, what you propose are my first thoughts. All of that.

You could roll them out in intervals if it would lessen the work load. Or perhaps offer a subscription scenario. Subscriptions seem to be the latest craze ;)

The caveat of course is the more you offer the more to manage.

Thanks for considering my suggestions :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Come on over, you can be our sandwich-board guy! :-D

Personally I'm not a fan of subscriptions. If I fork out cash for something I like to know I own it, rather than just renting it until Adobe or Microsoft or someone decide I need to upgrade. (Which is why I like hardware, despite being a software developer...)

But interval-based packs – that's okay by me. Anyone else got a view?

dsan@mail.com wrote:You could roll them out in intervals if it would lessen the work load. Or perhaps offer a subscription scenario. Subscriptions seem to be the latest craze ;)
Didn't users back in the day get new sounds via buying extra discs. So that would be the vintage way to do it still :D

There has already been some Emulator libs, like from Hollow Sun and UVI.

What is important for me and what can set this new instrument apart is that the controls are responsive and to the point, filters, ADSR envelope, and hopefully an arp?

We'll release the whole thing on 5.25" diskettes, and anyone who buys more than, say, 800 will get a limited-edition briefcase to put them in :-D

When it comes to the competition:

Great price, simple interface:
http://www.hollowsun.com/hs2/products/vintage_samplers/

Great interface, heavy price:
http://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner/emulation-ii.html

So what you need to do is to match Great price with Great interface :borg:

Numanoid wrote:When it comes to the competition:

Great price, simple interface:
http://www.hollowsun.com/hs2/products/vintage_samplers/

Great interface, heavy price:
http://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner/emulation-ii.html

So what you need to do is to match Great price with Great interface :borg:
They've both got their strong points. I own the HS one – I think it was the very first library I bought for Kontakt, so not only do I love it, it's also got sentimental value for me :) In fairness, though, there aren't all that many EII patches in it, and they're not chromatically sampled (which I think is important to get the sound of the EII's interpolation).

I don't own the UVI, but it's clearly a bigger beast at 5Gb. That said, we've got well over twice that in raw samples (it'll come down when they're trimmed and compressed) and we're not done yet... so I'm hoping we'll be able to offer a wider spread of sounds or a deeper degree of fidelity. Ideally both :D

Go the full nine yards, offer the Komplete version. :) Then afterwards break it down in packs.

(Love the GUI, by the way! Just one thing - I hope you don't actually have to press that many times to change between two reverb types that are on opposing sides - LEDs themselves should be clickable ;))

I think the GUI is good but I have to agree with Numanoid, it really needs an arp.

It's also missing delay and modwheel fx. Or are these on another tab?

UVI are overpriced.

Just sayin'

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

To bring the instrument up to date, you should really call it EDMulation II 8)

I was tempted to get the UVI instrument in the past, but looking at the sounds it is basically a vintage rompler with middle-of-the-road sounds. Which put me off.

Sometimes acurate emulations are good, sometimes not...

So a library more skewed towards electronics, with vintage grit, is what I would prefer.

EvilDragon wrote:Go the full nine yards, offer the Komplete version. :) Then afterwards break it down in packs.

(Love the GUI, by the way! Just one thing - I hope you don't actually have to press that many times to change between two reverb types that are on opposing sides - LEDs themselves should be clickable ;))
Hey Evil – how's tricks? :)

You want easy access? You mean I shouldn't have coded the 37-second-per-patch loading time? :lol:

Seriously, I wondered about adding that as an optional "feature"...

This is so exciting that I had to register on KVR just to cast my vote towards the full library option!
Great news, as I was starting to get GAS for the big blue old monolith :)
I will try to tame it and patiently wait for the completion of this monumental opus...
My wife will also be pleased to know that around £ 100 (instead of € 1700, and a few square meters less in the house) will be enough to quench my thirst for 8 bit goodness!

dsan@mail.com wrote:I think the GUI is good but I have to agree with Numanoid, it really needs an arp.

It's also missing delay and modwheel fx. Or are these on another tab?
They're round the back :D Here you go:

The Vintage button on the front also disables all of these, so if you want to scrape the icing off the cake, it's dead easy to do :lol:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”