Resale - accused of giving misinformation in the description...(UPDATE)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You need to nip that thing in the bud.

(0:43 for why this thread reminded me of Fred Sanford)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qg55f7L02Y

ntom wrote:
Aloysius wrote:
I had cleaned the unit itself thoroughly
What did you clean it with?

Is it possible there was some sort of chemical reaction?
possibly, though I didn't use anything odd. I used some all-purpose clorox wipes and a soft cloth intended for cleaning glasses.

yep, im sure that's your answer. if you use clorox wipes, and it drys, especially in a air closed box it will smell like ammonia ie cat pee and that smoky smell is resulting from the dank drying bleach mixed with the dust in the airtight box combined with the affected plastic. i would love to side with you, but after hearing you used clorox wipes, and then packed it, i have a feeling that the customer may be right in this case. it even warns you on a lot of electronics to not use harsh chemicals and just warm water with at most a non invasive chemical designed for cleaning electronics.

Ah... Afraid I have to agree there. Never use something like Clorox. Sorry that this happened. :-(

I only ever use medicinal/rubbing alcohol (90%+) on soft(!) paper towels or cloth to clean anything electronic.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Well, at least the problem is solved. Weird, because this caution appears in every hardware manual I have read FYI

Jace-BeOS wrote:I only ever use medicinal/rubbing alcohol (90%+) on soft(!) paper towels or cloth to clean anything electronic.
:tu:

That's what I do, too, and sometimes "glasses tissues" (which contain alcohol and a bit of lemon flavor) are great for cleaning, too!

Anyway, I'd write the customer that it ain't cat pee but harmless Chlorox!

Your cat pee d on the dudes Tracktor ........kontroller ..hahahaaaa

Warm soapy water and a soft cloth is all you need ... and make sure it's dried off before you box it up.

AstralExistence wrote:
ntom wrote:
Aloysius wrote:
I had cleaned the unit itself thoroughly
What did you clean it with?

Is it possible there was some sort of chemical reaction?
possibly, though I didn't use anything odd. I used some all-purpose clorox wipes and a soft cloth intended for cleaning glasses.

yep, im sure that's your answer. if you use clorox wipes, and it drys, especially in a air closed box it will smell like ammonia ie cat pee and that smoky smell is resulting from the dank drying bleach mixed with the dust in the airtight box combined with the affected plastic. i would love to side with you, but after hearing you used clorox wipes, and then packed it, i have a feeling that the customer may be right in this case. it even warns you on a lot of electronics to not use harsh chemicals and just warm water with at most a non invasive chemical designed for cleaning electronics.
I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but I've cleaned a lot of items with the wipes - and, because I am aware of the residue, I dried it first with a paper towel - the wipe itself was more to clean up any water marks, scuffs, or finger prints, so I would do small circles and following right behind the wipe is the paper towel (so it clorox barely has time to settle in), then the soft cloth to pick up the paper towel fibers and any other dust that lingered, and finally blew it down with a can of air duster, and finished off letting it air dry for about 10 - 15 minutes before packing (that's if you want the lengthy details of how I clean my stuff) The only thing I didn't do was perfume the box :lol: ...not this time at least...that's not to say I haven't in the past.

EDIT:
oh, whatever...I just took some of the early advice of just telling him that I'll give him a refund if he wished to return the unit. It's a losing battle on my end - as everyone has pointed out. There is nothing I can so or do to prove my innocence, so if he wishes to leave negative feedback...so be it. With the way things are, I don't think I'll be selling anything for awhile.

As for the person asking about Craig's List:
Yes, I have it available, yes I have tried using it before, and it wound up being a breeding ground for scams and spam and never ONCE did I get a legitimate response. How CL has been successful is beyond me.

ntom wrote:As for the person asking about Craig's List:
Yes, I have it available, yes I have tried using it before, and it wound up being a breeding ground for scams and spam and never ONCE did I get a legitimate response. How CL has been successful is beyond me.
Well judging from eBay's apparent lack of concern towards complaints from sellers, maybe CL is not that much of an option for most people after all. Without real alternatives, of course a monopolist can be much less responsive.:shrug:

everything I've ever sold online was through Craigslist. Coupla guitars that I did not let go too cheaply, software, controllers... nice people swung by and we did the thing. :shrug:

jancivil wrote:everything I've ever sold online was through Craigslist. Coupla guitars that I did not let go too cheaply, software, controllers... nice people swung by and we did the thing. :shrug:
Well if, god forbid, the guy decides to return the controller to me then I'll list it on CL for a little and see if I don't get hundreds of things of spam. I had a friend who use to sell camera equipment through it, so I know it's POSSIBLE to not get spam and scams...but...I've never had such luck.

I got one guy that was all about trying to haggle me, or everyone in the world, down to some preposterous price, I don't think he even played the guitars, he just loved getting shit for like 1 percent of its worth in the world.
All three guitars I sold there was this creep. He trolled me after I finally told him to f**k off.
Other than that, I get a very good signal to noise ratio off it, albeit not a lot of action for certain things.
I guess your area is very different than here. Not that I love it here, it's a filthy, boring town.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”