Porthole 2

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

except for the opening roll-in and crash, only the lead guitar. amped and amped some more with FX of course.

Alrighty, gonna remove the old version(s) finally. And note, there are some things out there called 'Without a Net' that this isn't... I'm not sure exactly what but the side links on the youtube are to Eddie Van Halen, or other things I equally did not cop the name from.

So it's called Porthole 2 and follows Porthole 1 immediately in the playlist.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:06 am, edited 8 times in total.

Ah the unbridled distorted electric guitar? What is it about that sound? With the visuals it makes me think of an alternate dimension in which Hendrix scored the 1970s Doctor Who opening... Thank you for sharing your music!

Full of enthusiasm and guitar joy! A bit Hendrix a bit Fripp!
Beautiful reverb.
Well done jancivil! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Thanks for generous comments.
Def. thinking of Hendrix, there are two brief references I snuck in.

Kind of a quickie, but I really was buzzed by the tone.

at which point did you set the axe on fire ?? makes me wish i had an leccy guitar again

cheers :tu:

yup ...
good tone ...

Star-Spangled Banner anyone?

Stratospheric sounds.

Good work :)

thanks for kind remarks.

I felt this was almost a throwaway, there is a lot of slop and rushed moments (and no chance really to redo, a one-shot-deal in this room) but there are a couple of moments that I love. So I printed a lot of copies and f**ked around with it stretching and shrinking time - Cubase's algorithms are underrated I think - and got something I'm going to call part of the oeuvre. I don't have a bad cringe moment in it...
The edits above are me trying to make a nice transition also, still pretty cheap but it finally follows the last one well enough. I may write a segue, I may keep it cheap.

Porthole 2

4-9: now with more intro nothingness
Last edited by jancivil on Sat May 09, 2015 5:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Too bad tone is a LIE :hihi:. The harmonics shining through the grittiness is one of the most metal things I can think of, in a sophisticated way. I think I caught the beginning of Hendrix's national anthem?

bahaha

yeah I referred to it, 1st 3 notes of that.

t.y

I just played all 3 pieces in sequence. Sounds great here. The last note of "Porthole 2" has more "finality" than the ending of "Without a net 1.3", but that could be disinformation :wink:

Good work :)

Not sure, but you may be right. I uploaded... it looks like 6 versions.
I was focused a bit on how the release of that reflected in the spaces and w. most every concern I was more satisfied with finally with what is now called 'Porthole 2', and I decided it's a keeper.

There is a lot of latency involved using these pretty dear convolutions, and while on paper it's all compensated, there _are_ surprises so this is more than one print and editing, a composite. If I'm going to edit I may as well have a good time. Nearly every finished track is a composite of renders with some differences, all of the right spots hit is not that likely to come through in a single print.
A real eye-opener for me was Zappa talking about Drowning Witch & 15 edits, being a composite take representing the band in 15 different towns.

I like working with audio. In Revolve 3, I made the attack and release of the low strings [in sec. 'D'] a lot better than they were in the sampler. I got sick quick of playing with the odds of round robin and caring about which algorithm so I committed to audio rather than waste a lot more time. I even got a super vibrato which would have never happened in the sampler.

t.y

official golden mean edition:
https://youtu.be/gkpSS58wua0

Return to “Music Cafe”