One Synth Challenge #73 special: Synthmaster (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A bit late to the party, but here are the presets I used for this contest and a bit more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Listened to it twice.
IMHO, tuning of pad and solo presets would add value(and points :)) to the piece.
Unless that's what you wanted :(

sfiks wrote:
Listened to it twice.
IMHO, tuning of pad and solo presets would add value(and points :)) to the piece.
Unless that's what you wanted :(
Thanks for your suggestion! What does it exactly mean, that solo/pad are not in the key, or just instruments are detuned?
Last edited by fairplay on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

https://soundcloud.com/thepresentmusic/ ... thal-chase

OSC_73 entry ThePresent - Lethal Chase

DAW: Cubase 6.5.5

Drawing cover art: Jessica Reynders

37 instances of KV331 Synthmaster Factory
Patches used: Factory and selfmade (had to be really careful not to use SFZ files by accident)

Most Synthmaster FX used

Mixing plugins:
Cubase Compressor
Cubase Studio EQ
Cubase Autopan
Toneboosters Reelbus (free demo version)
Toneboosters Gate (free demo version)
Melda MEqualizer
Cubase mixer's eq
Cubase Stereo Enhancer
Cubase Mono Delay
Cubase Reverence (using free Bricasti, Eventide and Lexicon IR's)
Cubase Roomworks reverb
Variety Of Sound Epic Verb
DelaMancha 65 compressor (Kick and snare)
Variety Of Sound Thrillseeker LA
Variety Of Sound Density Mk III (Group comp)
George Yohng's W1 Limiter
Cubase Limiter
Cubase SLM128 EBU meter
Voxengo SPAN
s(M)exoscope

Mastering plugins:

Cubase Compressor
Melda MEqualizer
TDR VOS Slick EQ
Voxengo MSED
George Yohng's W1 Limiter
Voxengo SPAN
Cubase SLM128 EBU meter
Cubase Dithering module Apogee UV22HR

DR 16
http://dynamicrangeday.co.uk/challenge/
Last edited by ThePresent on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

double posted
Last edited by RichardSemper on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

RichardSemper wrote:
Mojo42 wrote:@Richard Semper: Where is your entry???? :x :lol:
I hope it will come :scared:
Well, not had a lot of time this month so far, but i do have something different in the pipeline using only sm player free and some stuff from the OSC soundbank (awesome work guys n gals :tu: ) Hope to finish before the deadline.

RichardSemper wrote:
RichardSemper wrote:
Mojo42 wrote:@Richard Semper: Where is your entry???? :x :lol:
I hope it will come :scared:
Well, not had a lot of time this month so far, but i do have something different in the pipeline using only sm player free and some stuff from the OSC soundbank (awesome work guys n gals :tu: ) Hope to finish before the deadline.
No problem. We take it also unfinished 8) :lol:
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

Hi, here is my Synthmaster challenge OSC73 track. Hope you enjoy it :)

DAW: Cubase 6.5.5
VST: Synthmaster factory 2.6.21
Track instances: 30

My self made presets: 19
Factory presets: BA FM Bass 4 MS, FX Drop Sine UK, AR DoubleFilterLead RL, PD T-Raumstation BT, KB Trance Keys, KY Soft Keys 2 TP, KY Innocent Keys (i)

Daw plugins: 4 PingPongDelay, 1 StudioEQ, 22 standardEQ, 3 Compressor, 1 Envelope Shaper, 1 Mono delay, 1 Stereo Delay, 1 MultibandCompressor, 1 GEQ-30

Free plugins: 2 Limiter6

https://soundcloud.com/jkflashico/jk-fl ... iginal-mix

Here is also my plugins that I have done for this Synthmaster OSC73 challenge.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/og29xk5hbf823 ... 3.zip?dl=0

Cheers
JK Flashico

After feeling really overwhelmed by and struggling with trying to figure out mastering for the past couple weeks, I managed to get some help from a friend of mine who does mastering professionally...he did one of the early OSC challenges a few years ago. I also got a lot of help from Mojo42 and got some good feedback from a couple other members of the community.

I think I'm pretty much finished with the song, but for some reason when I render the audio then instead of having a smooth fade-out it glitches a bit at the end, which it doesn't do when I'm playing it back in Bitwig. Anyone know why it would do that and how to fix it?

Here is the audio so far: https://clyp.it/q5ipkrja

Honestly I'm still pretty confused about mastering. I stacked the following plugins: EasyQ, Grancomp3, Mhorse P3, Soneq, TLS Pocket Limiter, and Limiter No6.

I still have a couple days left to finish up the song, so any feedback is welcome. I did get some good feedback on style, but I don't really want to change it too much from what came to me when I was inspired initially. However I'm happy to share the project files with anyone who is interested in remixing the song. Just seems like Bitwig is still the new kid on the block so not that many people use it yet.

@ThePresent - if you update the meta tags for your presets so that they're using bank OSC #73 then I'm happy to include them in the community bank.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

@Soundgoddess, I try to figure out what you mean about metatags ;)

About the glitchy ending: how did you do your fading? Is there a fade out already in your 32 or 24 bit mix and did you do any dithering when mastering? Best is to fadeout in the very last step when mastering and dithering.

SoundGoddess wrote:when I render the audio then instead of having a smooth fade-out it glitches a bit at the end, which it doesn't do when I'm playing it back in Bitwig. Anyone know why it would do that and how to fix it?

Honestly I'm still pretty confused about mastering. I stacked the following plugins: EasyQ, Grancomp3, Mhorse P3, Soneq, TLS Pocket Limiter, and Limiter No6.
I've used Bitwig for the past year... a few issues here & there, plenty of annoyances, but overall very good. Not seen an issue rendering when it might playback fine.

Mastering really isn't about just stacking plugins (obviously), it's about making the track sound consistently as good as possible across "all" the playback devices. This means to get a decent overall EQ (perhaps to match a "pro" track) and also to get the levels up (unless you really don't want to do that). You should be able to just use Limiter6 at the end to keep the track from clipping. My mastering chain for OSC pretty much always consists of: Nova67p for some EQ -> TDR Kotelnikov for volume -> Limiter6 for more volume :).

Don't quite hear what you're talking about with the glitching? Do you just need to extend the export range? It sounds like it just ends abruptly. You can set the loop marker where you want it, then choose to export the loop marker region or just manually enter the start/end measure numbers. As for the fadeout - what are you automating? Master volume? This should give you the least possibility for artifacts, I'd assume.

Don't quite hear what you're talking about with the glitching? Do you just need to extend the export range? It sounds like it just ends abruptly. You can set the loop marker where you want it, then choose to export the loop marker region or just manually enter the start/end measure numbers. As for the fadeout - what are you automating? Master volume? This should give you the least possibility for artifacts, I'd assume.
Yeah the song just ends abruptly and it's kind of harsh. But what I did was use the automation lane on the master volume and do a four-bar downward slope. When I play it in Bitwig it has a nice easy fade-out, so it sounds fine. But it doesn't seem to even reduce the volume at all on the exported WAV, and then there's a kind of harsh delay artifact like it ends mid-note. I know it's nothing to do with the mastering plugins because the previous version render from before I started mastering has the same issue.
~ good luck ~

Are you exporting the Master track? Not 'studio' or something else? Bitwig allows you to pick different tracks to export; I accidentally had the wrong one selected before and took me forever to figure out why it wasn't giving me what I expected. Also, the dithering could be an issue... what bitrate are you using can you just swap it (to 44.1khz, for example) and try to re-export? And, again, the abrupt thing you can fix by increasing the measure the export ends on (on the export panel UI).

ThePresent wrote:@Soundgoddess, I try to figure out what you mean about metatags ;)

About the glitchy ending: how did you do your fading? Is there a fade out already in your 32 or 24 bit mix and did you do any dithering when mastering? Best is to fadeout in the very last step when mastering and dithering.
Well there's a "dither" checkbox on the export to audio form. Should I uncheck it and re-render? What exactly is dithering?
~ good luck ~

SoundGoddess wrote:
ThePresent wrote:@Soundgoddess, I try to figure out what you mean about metatags ;)

Well there's a "dither" checkbox on the export to audio form. Should I uncheck it and re-render? What exactly is dithering?
Yes, definitely try to uncheck it.

EDIT: I have no idea what dithering is, apparently. :)

Return to “Instruments”