Wow Me! (Synth Suggestions...Dune 2 Winner Prize Ready...Update 5/5)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OnePingOnly

This thread reminds me of a never ending journey... to the ultimate... wow. :)

chk071 wrote:This thread reminds me of a never ending journey... to the ultimate... wow. :)
I think it is interesting because it is challenging to find such a synth :)

@OP
Ok, I have looked deeper into your list which IMO is a great list covers everything really. Now, my final opinion is you might need only one synth and that is Razor. You can find it in the market place for $50 or less (I sold mine for less). It is Additive with the greatest sound. Yet it is very easy to come with incredible sounds in few minutes. Damn! why I sold it! I have Loom and Harmor but still missing Razor.

If you didn't have Reaktor, then maybe you would need another synth that does fill in the gap, but really you are covered and don't need anything except maybe Razor.

Now IMO the monster/hyprid synths you have are:
ABSynth 5
Blue II
Electra 2
FM8
Harmor
Massive
Mpowersynth
Omnisphere
Serum
Synthmaster
Zebra 2

The Modular synths are:
ARP 2600V
Bazille
KarmaFX Modular
Modular V
MUX Modular
and
Reaktor 5

and you have tons of the other synths that we can say are "specialized" synths.

So, in the end my opinion is buy Razor or save your money. Otherwise, trade with other synths. That's it, ciao :)

EnGee wrote:
chk071 wrote:This thread reminds me of a never ending journey... to the ultimate... wow. :)
I think it is interesting because it is challenging to find such a synth :)

@OP
Ok, I have looked deeper into your list which IMO is a great list covers everything really. Now, my final opinion is you might need only one synth and that is Razor. You can find it in the market place for $50 or less (I sold mine for less). It is Additive with the greatest sound. Yet it is very easy to come with incredible sounds in few minutes. Damn! why I sold it! I have Loom and Harmor but still missing Razor.

If you didn't have Reaktor, then maybe you would need another synth that does fill in the gap, but really you are covered and don't need anything except maybe Razor.

Now IMO the monster/hyprid synths you have are:
ABSynth 5
Blue II
Electra 2
FM8
Harmor
Massive
Mpowersynth
Omnisphere
Serum
Synthmaster
Zebra 2

The Modular synths are:
ARP 2600V
Bazille
KarmaFX Modular
Modular V
MUX Modular
and
Reaktor 5

and you have tons of the other synths that we can say are "specialized" synths.

So, in the end my opinion is buy Razor or save your money. Otherwise, trade with other synths. That's it, ciao :)
Thanks. That's actually an excellent analysis.

Funny that you brought up Razor. Today I was flipping through YouTube and ran into my buddy Torley. What a character. Love his videos. I can watch him all day. Anyway, I watched his most recent video on Razor 1.5.

You're right, the thing sounds amazing.

I've got this funny thing about Reaktor ensembles. And you can call me crazy if you want.

Every ensemble I have either came with Komplete 9 or I downloaded from the user area. I have NEVER paid a DIME for any Reaktor ensemble and have a hard time doing so.

I can't give you a logical reason why other than I paid a freaking fortune for Komplete (I think it was close to a grand but don't remember) and I just can't spend one more dollar on that package. I believe Razor should have come with Reaktor when I got it. It didn't. The ensembles it did come with, for the most part, are okay but nothing to write home about except for maybe Monark which has some of the best filters I've ever heard.

So I have kind of a love/hate relationship with NI. I feel a lot of the stuff that came with Komplete 9 was bloat. Very little of it do I really use.

Maybe if I see Razor on sale for 50 bucks, yeah, I might grab it. But right now I'm more focused on one of the higher end synths like Spectral, Dune 2 and Syn'X which are all over $150 or about that much.

If I have $50 left, it will be between Sunrizer and Razor as to which one gets what's left over. That's why I'm not making any decisions until Sunrizer is available for Windows.

But yeah, your analysis of my "wants" are pretty spot on. And yes, I am fully aware that what I'm looking for may not exist outside of what I already own.

Which is why I asked in the first place.

I would love to see you make a DUNE 2 soundbank. I bought your pack for Serum and I absolutely loved it.

Yorrrrrr wrote:I would love to see you make a DUNE 2 soundbank. I bought your pack for Serum and I absolutely loved it.
@OP
Here we go! This will make your decision easier.
Listen to your customers :)

EnGee wrote:Ok so to summarize your requirements:
1. A hybrid synth with many modulations ( more than 20?). A monster synth. Something like Zebra and not only subtractive and less than $200. Of course not in my list.

2. If it is a subtractive or basic synth (means not like in number one) then it must be around $50.

3. Whatever is it, it must be with big clear fonts.

Are these requirements right?
It needs bright, go-faster stripes on the side as well.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

EnGee wrote:
Yorrrrrr wrote:I would love to see you make a DUNE 2 soundbank. I bought your pack for Serum and I absolutely loved it.
@OP
Here we go! This will make your decision easier.
Listen to your customers :)
There is no question this is important. And yes, I do base a lot of my buying decisions on what's popular as well for the business end of it. Sometimes, however, I just want something for me because I know I'm going to really love it.

But I didn't want to turn this into a popularity contest. I could have put another requirement in my list along with a poll.

"Which synth would you most want a sound bank for?"

And sure, the one with the highest votes would have been an easy choice to purchase. But then what if I really wasn't inspired by the synth? Or what if it was one where the GUI was so small I couldn't even see it well enough to program it? Or what if the design was so convoluted that programming it was a nightmare?

Polls are a good way of making business decisions but also a good way of getting yourself into a lot of trouble if you stick to them religiously.

But what do you think? Should I start another thread with a poll?

"Which one of these synths would you most likely want a soundbank for?"

And then list all the ones I don't have?

I only bring this up because of what you said about "listening to my customers."

Thoughts?

wagtunes wrote: But what do you think? Should I start another thread with a poll?

I only bring this up because of what you said about "listening to my customers."

Thoughts?
Nah! No need to a poll IMO. You just need to read about it and see the market. Even if there are many presets for synth A, there might still some kind of presets missing or in demand. Many times the silent approach is the preferred one by people.

I find Dune II a very logical next step to program for. It is a new synth, popular and loved by many although I don't have it but I liked the demo a lot. Excellent synth indeed. Sure I would buy it if I'm professional designer. But I'm not, so I don't need it (at least for now) :-P

EnGee wrote:
wagtunes wrote: But what do you think? Should I start another thread with a poll?

Thoughts?
Nah! No need to a poll IMO. You just need to read about it and see the market. Even if there are many presets for synth A, there might still some kind of presets missing or in demand. Many times the silent approach is the preferred one by people.

I find Dune II a very logical next step to program for. It is a new synth, popular and loved by many although I don't have it but I liked the demo a lot. Excellent synth indeed. Sure I would buy it if I'm professional designer. But I'm not, so I don't need it (at least for now) :-P
Dune 2 is new? I wasn't aware of that. I thought it had been out for a while. Do you know what the release date for it was?

Oops! It is little bit less than one year I think. So it is not a new synth, but also not old. Anyway, I think I just have a slow sense of time it seems! or is it a fast sense :smack: I better go to sleep :zzz:

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

replicant X wrote:It's time to try VirSyn TERA.
Okay, I listened to some demos, looked at what this thing can do and then looked at the price.

99 Euro? What's the catch? Because nothing that can do all that and sound like that can sell for 99 Euro.

I'm going to download the demo and tinker with it. With my luck it'll probably blow up my DAW like Loom did but I figure what the heck. I have to at least give this a test run.

Yes, very old, there is a review from 2003 8)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb03/a ... yn0203.asp

fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, very old, there is a review from 2003 8)

You have absolutely no idea how torn I am over this.

Have you ever tried this thing? I can't even begin to describe its capabilities. From just a half hour with it I'm speechless. If only the GUI was just a little bit bigger. It's not nearly as bad as the Arturia stuff, but because of all the parameters on pne page, it's a little hard to read.

Perhaps I can get used to it. This is my dream synth. This is what I would have developed had I not known it existed.

You have no idea how upset I am that the GUI isn't the easiest thing to read. If I lower my screen res from 1280 to 1024 MAYBE it would be a lot better, but then a lot of my other synths won't fit not to mention Cubase 7 itself won't entirely fit on the screen.

Why do these developers not update their GUIs?

Oh wait, that's another thread.

Never mind. :x

wagtunes wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, very old, there is a review from 2003 8)

You have absolutely no idea how torn I am over this.

Have you ever tried this thing? I can't even begin to describe its capabilities. From just a half hour with it I'm speechless. If only the GUI was just a little bit bigger. It's not nearly as bad as the Arturia stuff, but because of all the parameters on pne page, it's a little hard to read.

Perhaps I can get used to it. This is my dream synth. This is what I would have developed had I not known it existed.

You have no idea how upset I am that the GUI isn't the easiest thing to read. If I lower my screen res from 1280 to 1024 MAYBE it would be a lot better, but then a lot of my other synths won't fit not to mention Cubase 7 itself won't entirely fit on the screen.

Why do these developers not update their GUIs?

Oh wait, that's another thread.

Never mind. :x

Well, keep playing with it and I suppose you might find out why that thing is hardly ever mentioned... :ud:

Return to “Instruments”