Is there anyone posting here that actually enjoys using energyxt?

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everybody, new guy here. Just wondering if anyone on this forum actually enjoys using energyxt? Seems to be a lot of complaining. Its not the perfect DAW, but then again what is the perfect DAW? I like how I can click on the desktop icon and have something decent going in less than 5 mins. Coming from a hardware/beat machine background I feel I dont need all the way Xtra crap other DAWs offer. Just found out today you can route the outputs of Poise to separate audio channels!!! :love: Typically I get a good four to eight bar loop going then send the stems to Reaper to arrange or record vocals. How does everyone else use XT? Does anyone record vocals I'm XT? I mostly make hip hop, but I have been experimenting with more laid back chill sounds.

Energy XT is great to use and will do anything you want pretty much - for workflow / facilities I rate it far above anything else - (I find Reaper horrible to use - what do you think Energy XT can't do? - it probably can!)

It's also got the "elastique" audio stretching / pitching engine built in

I've used it to record / mix and master dozens of complete projects with excellent results - a unique feature is that you can create any number of separate mixes within the same project file - brilliant
..and I'm still finding stuff I didn't realise it did

The down side is that it does crash on occasion - so save regularly (as you should anyway!)
(the up side is that it reboots in about 2 seconds)

- and sadly the developer seems to have abandoned it - not much has happened in the last 2 years
There are also some fairly minor issues with audio - but nothing really drastic

A recent beta issue of V3 with multi-core awareness seems to have problems - so it's probably better to stick with v2.7

users have been asking for a 64 bit version - but that's not something that's ever bothered me - switching to 64 bit
seems to cause many problems

for the reasons above I'm always experimenting with other DAWS - but none of them compare with the speed and intuitive feel of Ext - I always go back to it
Cheers

Mick

The latest incarnation is always to hand for quick sketching and testing of things but nothing critical. It loads fast and I find the workflow simple and efficient, so it's great for getting ideas down or unfettered noodling.

energyXT 1.4, on the other hand, is indispensable for me. The modular and MIDI capabilities, then saved and loaded as a VST in another host, are what makes it so. It was my main DAW for many years but recently I do more recording of external audio and I prefer my copy of Sonar LE for that. That said, there's one great audio editing trick that eXT 1 has that means I'll sometimes track there and export for use elsewhere.

So yeah, I enjoy using eXT. I don't post much here though...

Xt 1.4 was one of the best if not the best pieces of software i ever used (ignoring its issues that never got sorted that is)
Xt 2 and now 3 are a huge letdown and anybody who says it can do anything is speaking nonsense.
if it fits your needs thats great, but it is very basic (that may be all you need)

Not sure where switching to x64 causes any problems, weird how you only ever read that in places that are not x64 lol
Duh

@bungle
just to clear up things - I came along round about v2.5 and immediately liked it's intelligent design - but It didn't even have a tempo track (!) - so had to request that - and Jorgen obliged - and it pleased me that the developer was responding directly to customers' requests - shame it's not like that anymore

(I found out later about v1.4 - which personally I didn't find quite as usable after v2 - but I know it had a lot of followers who understandably felt let down when it was abandoned with no forward compatibility)

Coming to v2 fresh I was (and still am) able to appreciate how good it actually is - to call it basic is strange to me - as on the whole I find the only "missing" features are unnecessary layers of complication often added as bells and whistles on the "bigger" daws.
..But obviously it depends on how you use it - I do mainly "mainstream" music - and have only got some minor gripes with it - the general midi and audio handling is very well thought out. Maybe it is lacking in the areas I don't often use?

I'm still discovering "hidden" features on Ext

What generally would you say is "missing" ?

Also I didn't say it could do anything - I was suggesting to the original poster that it could probably do anything he needed - being curious as to why felt the need to use Reaper (one thing I can think of is MTC capability)

With regards the 64 bit thing - I know many people who have had problems with compatibility - mainly because all your plugins also need to be 64 bit - personally I use a lot of old 32 bit plugs that haven't been (and may never be) upgraded - but I'm sure these issues will gradually be sorted.
Cheers

Mick

mickwest1 wrote:mainly because all your plugins also need to be 64 bit
no they dont, that is total nonsense !!

What is missing in XT2, go look at XT1.4, the list is so long it would break the forum.
Duh

i use XT2 2.7F and nothing else. it is fast and stable enough to have stayed my favorite DAW for years.
just wish Jorgen would update it more frequently
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I'm still using XT2.7. I have other DAWS but this is the one that clicks with me.

back in the day i've been using ext 1.4 after coming from logic (before it was bought by apple) and cubase (which i abandoned for no specific reason).
there are a couple of good things that always have been with ext: super fast loading time, no vst plugin checks (could be beneficial though) and basically the super fast workflow with the extra capabilities to do some modular routing. i always felt it was a basic tool shed that could easily be extended with plugins from the community.
however, i think over the years the product was not developed fast enough and other daws in a similar price range just overtook -- mulab for fancy modular stuff, reaper for serious arrangements, podium for terrific integration of hardware.
nowadays i mostly use ext for quick sketches and then export the audio files to use is in other daws or hardware samplers.
what really stopped me from using it more was its instability. i know that for some people ext is rock solid but for me it hasn't been. it crashes for no reason, giving me bluescreens or projects that worked fine are not loading anymore. yep, it happened with different plugins, computer systems, soundcards. there is no real way where i can say that there must be specific reason.

put in a lot of hours with 2s, very much love it. for a few years i've been writing parts that have multiple channels of modulation emulating breath expression, eg. possibly several nodes per note. this is the only place 2.? crashes on me, if i am making a near vertical adjustment of a node in unquantised edit.. not very often, i can edit for hours without crashes.

powerful in it's sleekness or something. wonderfully straightforward.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I'm always experimenting with other DAWS - but none of them compare with the speed and intuitive feel of Ext - I always go back to it
+1

exactly the same with me - shame that Jorgen seems to have disappeared again!!
Cheers

Mick

loveit!
Last edited by donquixote on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I have a license for it somewhere, but the more it stagnated while other DAWs moved ahead the less I used it. I liked it, but other things became much more appealing.

Regardless of the promises it seems like abandonware now.
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote:I have a license for it somewhere, but the more it stagnated while other DAWs moved ahead the less I used it. I liked it, but other things became much more appealing.

Regardless of the promises it seems like abandonware now.
stagnated? in what way? if you are talking about not focusing on it's audio multitracking functions.
yes, i guess other daws pulled ahead. but honestly, i could care less. i love EXT2 for it's piano roll editor and REAL midi editing workflow. it has always met my music making needs without all the bloat of sample libraries.

its a tool for the real musician that works with notes and chords, not sample loops. although it has a good time stretching feature i use for an occasional drum loop.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “energyXT”