Feature Requests

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

squaredheads wrote:Kurodo, does that happen when you're using just Nora or NoraHarm (not both)? It seems a timming problem. At the moment Nora doesn't perform well with tempo changes - maybe are you automating the tempo?
It just happens when I feed the output of Noraharm into Nora.
I think once a long while ago I noticed it with just Nora but I tightened up my Asio settings and have never seen it since.
That's why I mentioned it could be an Asio issue rather Nora and NoraHarm.?

I didn't make any tempo changes in the project or any automation so that can be ruled out.
I will run some extended tests and make some Asio adjustments to see if I can get rid of the issue and report my findings back here.

I wouldn't waste anytime your end investigating it because it would appear I am the only one who has raised the issue and to be honest it really isn't that big a deal. It takes seconds to clean up the phantom notes.
Still I thought I'd mention it.
Protocol_b wrote: I tried a simple up-down arpeggiation on it, the highest note would not sound. I don't understand why the difference in behaviour between that and just using the chromatic template, but I'm happy to be wrong in this instance. Thank you for your helpful reply.
I don't think you were wrong, as you say the behavior can vary depending on what you are doing in Nora.
Yeah the highest note thing you mention ...I sometimes can't quite wrap my head around that.
The relationship between the number of notes per octave and what chord is selected.
Sometimes I have to remember that a big chord like a c7 won't always sound certain notes depending on what Arp Phrase I have selected.
Its all good fun though toughing it out and happy accidents occur along the way :D

Protocol_b wrote:KURODO - Re: NORA 6-note output limit - Kurodo, your test was much better then mine. When I do it like that, I do indeed get all 7 notes. I had originally modified an existing harmonic minor chord to use 7 notes; when I tried a simple up-down arpeggiation on it, the highest note would not sound. I don't understand why the difference in behaviour between that and just using the chromatic template, but I'm happy to be wrong in this instance. Thank you for your helpful reply.
If you could ease me a simple project were this behavior happens it will help us to locate your mistake -or- our bug -or- both :D
Protocol_b wrote:SQUAREDHEADS - Re: new chords/scales in NORA - your idea of a 'create' function sounds great, though I'm having trouble envisioning how it would work or look, but everything you do seems to work out excellently so I know I'll be happy. I *would* help create new templates but I don't play keyboard (that's why I like to rely on pre-built 1-finger chords, I'm not formally trained and I use a MIDI guitar - now my shameful secret is out.)
I have to meditate it for a while but it would be a keyboard (like the one included in the Track Config Window) and then few options, like which intervals should you take, if it should add bass notes, few options about what you should do with the lanes that do not have any relevance, and maybe an auto inversion feature in the key you command.
Protocol_b wrote:+1's: 8 notes? Yay! Random pattern selection in the pattern editor? Fantastic! Of the a-b-c choices, personally I would choose 'c -Nora randomly plays a pattern in each cycle. Same than before, but without queuing the pattern, directly playing it.' That seems to offer more control.
Yes, I'm between b) and c). Notice such options are only when the track is working with a host sync clock. If its working with internal clock the pattern would rotate with each new incoming chord.

kurodo wrote:It just happens when I feed the output of Noraharm into Nora.
I think once a long while ago I noticed it with just Nora but I tightened up my Asio settings and have never seen it since.
That's why I mentioned it could be an Asio issue rather Nora and NoraHarm.?

I didn't make any tempo changes in the project or any automation so that can be ruled out.
I will run some extended tests and make some Asio adjustments to see if I can get rid of the issue and report my findings back here.

I wouldn't waste anytime your end investigating it because it would appear I am the only one who has raised the issue and to be honest it really isn't that big a deal. It takes seconds to clean up the phantom notes.
Still I thought I'd mention it.
Thank you for your consideration. Yes, my day isn't enough with 24h :) so I must do a clever time management and any help is really apreciated. I'll wait for your report.

squaredheads wrote:
Thank you for your consideration. Yes, my day isn't enough with 24h :) so I must do a clever time management and any help is really apreciated. I'll wait for your report.
You should vote for a 48 hour day you could code even more then :)
I bet even a 48 hour day wouldn't be enough. lol
Keep up the good work, what you guys are doing is appreciated.

No! 24 to work and 24 to rest would be better ;)

Btw, the new patch, 2.51, has been released, you should receive an email notifying about it.

Hello,

Here are a few things that I think would be useful:

1) Ability to set the default note & octave count for new cells. Perhaps I'm missing the option, but every new cell defaults to 3 x 3 even if the last cell I created was changed to 5 x 5.

2) I'd really like to have a single click for accessing the Randomizer (e.g. place an icon in the top toolbar).

3) It would be cool if Randomizer could have presets that were saved in the file browser that could be drag/dropped.

4) Double-click instead of just drag drop from the file browser would be nice (faster way to browse presets)

5) Option for very thin top bar/toolbar. Perhaps 1/3 the size of the current header bar.

6) Full screen button (check out fab filter's full screen on Pro Q2)

Thanks for listening.

Squaredheads, re: the NORA 6-note problem and sending you an example project - hey, don't worry about it, I'm good to go now and I'm sure you have better things to do - go on along and code! Your helpful offer is greatly appreciated.

lachrimae wrote:Hello,

Here are a few things that I think would be useful:
To be honest I had some "aha moments" when I read your list. I think you have very good ideas.
lachrimae wrote:1) Ability to set the default note & octave count for new cells. Perhaps I'm missing the option, but every new cell defaults to 3 x 3 even if the last cell I created was changed to 5 x 5.
Yes, sure. I will create a project settings window where you define it together with other details. Good idea.
lachrimae wrote:2) I'd really like to have a single click for accessing the Randomizer (e.g. place an icon in the top toolbar).
What does others think about it? If I do it it would be in the same Phrase Editor window, behind the snap selector - the drawback would be a short horizontal scrollbar.
lachrimae wrote:3) It would be cool if Randomizer could have presets that were saved in the file browser that could be drag/dropped.
It could be possible, it would mean another tab for the browser, which I think it's not a big issue. Would you save the lock settings in the preset?
lachrimae wrote:4) Double-click instead of just drag drop from the file browser would be nice (faster way to browse presets)
While it's technically possible and easy to do, it could generate some inconsistency in the interface. Because what would happen in these cases:
1. User double click a folder (-> Open/Close it?)
2. User double click a quantizer file (which track should take it? none? all?)

lachrimae wrote:5) Option for very thin top bar/toolbar. Perhaps 1/3 the size of the current header bar.
I understand why you want this, because the vertical space in your screen is really valuable. However if I do this it would mean few days of coding, mods remaking and more complicated mods.

However. You can do it with the current version, just create a variation of the mod you're using and do it more small. Then save the mod and set it as default mod.
lachrimae wrote:6) Full screen button (check out fab filter's full screen on Pro Q2)
Really brilliant idea. I have a idea about how to do it, I am going to check its demo first.

Protocol_b wrote:Squaredheads, re: the NORA 6-note problem and sending you an example project - hey, don't worry about it, I'm good to go now and I'm sure you have better things to do - go on along and code! Your helpful offer is greatly appreciated.

Well, it's my work, and bugs are my #1 priority. If you reproduce it in a simple way, just let me know :)

First off, thanks for even considering new ideas, even if they're not possible I still appreciate the open-mindedness :clap:.
lachrimae wrote:3) It would be cool if Randomizer could have presets that were saved in the file browser that could be drag/dropped.
squareheads wrote:It could be possible, it would mean another tab for the browser, which I think it's not a big issue. Would you save the lock settings in the preset?
I think I would save all settings including lock. That way users could save their presets with very specific settings (and save a locked and non-locked version if they wanted). Not sure if it's possible but perhaps a drag-drop would apply the randomization w/out showing the randomization window and a right-click drag-drop would open the window with the preset's settings which the user could then adjust or apply?
lachrimae wrote:4) Double-click instead of just drag drop from the file browser would be nice (faster way to browse presets)
squareheads wrote:While it's technically possible and easy to do, it could generate some inconsistency in the interface. Because what would happen in these cases:
Hmmm. Yes to question number 1 (open/close). On number two I'd apply quantization to whichever phrase is currently selected. Is it possible to multi-select phrases in the pattern editor? If not, user's could multi-select phrases in the playlist which would then have quantization applied to all that are selected. Sorry if I'm just making things more complex btw!
lachrimae wrote:5) Option for very thin top bar/toolbar. Perhaps 1/3 the size of the current header bar.
squareheads wrote:You can do it with the current version, just create a variation of the mod you're using and do it more small. Then save the mod and set it as default mod.
Thanks I'll look into this.
lachrimae wrote:6) Full screen button (check out fab filter's full screen on Pro Q2)
squareheads wrote:Really brilliant idea. I have a idea about how to do it, I am going to check its demo first.
Honestly, that Pro Q2 full-screen is one of the sexiest things I've ever seen in a VST :). If it's possible it'd be so nice to work in!

Thanks again

lachrimae wrote:I think I would save all settings including lock. That way users could save their presets with very specific settings (and save a locked and non-locked version if they wanted). Not sure if it's possible but perhaps a drag-drop would apply the randomization w/out showing the randomization window and a right-click drag-drop would open the window with the preset's settings which the user could then adjust or apply?
I think I have the idea about how to implement it. Double left click in a...
... phrase to REPLACE the current edited phrase with the new one (replacing is the same action that currently does drag and drop from the browser).
... folder to OPEN/CLOSE it.
... randomizer to OPEN (in case it's not opened) the proper randomizer window and LOAD this preset (you still would have to click on 'apply').
... quantizer to OPEN (in case it's not opened) the proper track config window of the current edited phrase and then LOAD the quantizer.
... project to LOAD it.
squareheads wrote:While it's technically possible and easy to do, it could generate some inconsistency in the interface. Because what would happen in these cases:
lachrimae wrote:If not, user's could multi-select phrases in the playlist which would then have quantization applied to all that are selected. Sorry if I'm just making things more complex btw!
Yes, to keep it simple I did that the quantizer were a track property, instead a sequence property. So, at the moment, this is not possible - I don't want new people that test Nora think that it's buggy because the quantization do not apply to all its items :)
Someone thought in this too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aeLRVuVfcU

I think he did the mod part of his huge pack of presets, but hey, it's quite cheap for the huge benefit you obtain from it. Of course you can do it yourself with Nora mod tools.

Hi,
i just realized most of my presets shows name as "New phrase"
i guess this is just because i give name to them while saving in windows exp. not in the phrase editor.
so..
it would really useful if Nora see & show actual (O.S.) file name instead of showing the name inside the .fas

Warm Regards
Yıldırım.

Notice that while a file can contain a phrase, a phrase may not be associated to a file - so showing its filename would be an empty string. What I could do is create an option in the preferences which loads the current FileName as the Phrase Name when you load a phrase. It will have the same desired effect you're looking for (however it won't affect old projects which will continue showing "New phrase" until you reload the content).

squaredheads wrote:Notice that while a file can contain a phrase, a phrase may not be associated to a file - so showing its filename would be an empty string. What I could do is create an option in the preferences which loads the current FileName as the Phrase Name when you load a phrase. It will have the same desired effect you're looking for (however it won't affect old projects which will continue showing "New phrase" until you reload the content).
optional,yes this is much better!
Thanks!

squaredheads wrote:I've thinking more about the locks problem. Wouldn't be easier that the parameters were locked as default? In that way, the reset button would reset and lock all the parameters. And I think it's a desired change, because barely you want to randomize all the parameters, just one or two of them.

What do you think?
Revisting this subject:

One thing that I find weird is the new cntrl-click only places a lock, it doesn't actually reset the dial/sliders to zero.
So each and every-time all the sliders still have to be manually set. It seems unfortunate that only half the of the desired reset is working.

It would be great if the reset or cntrl click forced everything to zero with locks on.

The thing is its easy to get carried away with randomization (good fun) but it would be nice to just return to a default situation with one click.
This would be especially useful in the mutator where the original phrase could be restored instantly after a lot of randomization's. True the original phrase could be dragged back in via the browser but sometimes its just nice to close the browser, maximize workspace and start randomizing.

Another thing that I noticed is in the C&B generator with everything set to zero it still outputs some gated bass notes.
The same happens in the 303 generator.
Not sure why that's the case? It implies the one of the sliders isn't reseting to zero to begin with.
Possibly the density slider?

Return to “Squaredheads”