Plasticky sound -- so what?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Synths seem to fall into two categories for me - not so much plastic but literally 2d or 3d sounding. That's how it 'feels'. It's worth noting I'm one of those weird synaesthetic people (in actuality it just means that some of the wiring in the brain is faulty - we ain't special lol) and I really am very sensitive to sound - an unexpected sound in a mix that comes from an unexpected part of the stereo field can sometimes really scare me! Seriously. Anyway... most synths tend to sound 'flat' to me - literally like they exist on a 2 dimensional plane with no depth. Some synths sound like a solid 3 dimensional object - ie. they sound like they have depth to them. The 'plastic' synths mostly fall into the 2d category and tend to translate as 'weak' or 'artificial' - like they're imitations of 'real' sound. Or something. And it's mostly analogue synths that have the 3d quality - some VA's too though like the Nord synths, the AN1X and Sylenth. ESQ1 is a weird one as it can sound both 2d and 3d... do I need help? lol :D
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

trimph1 wrote:
1wob2many wrote:Wibble wobble double bubble.
Wubble Bubble Weeble Wooble
High quality KVR stuff is this :lol:

Numanoid wrote:Plastic-ky should really mean eternal.

Not like wood that will rot.
It does though, it means somewhat sterile, but sterile isn't enough. The teleharmonium was sterile, but not plasticky. You have to add something of a thin overtone, not thin like paper, but not thick like wood, yes, thin like plastic, a bit midrangey or nasally. And you need sheen, but not deep shine.

So, you get those things from weak filters, from PD synths, from DCOs. All of these are trying to be something that they're not. It's only when you embrace them for what they are that they emerge from their pastic attempts at imitating something that they will never be.

Put a single DCO behind a great filter and it's no longer trying to be the moving subtle partner that is the VCO in a two VCO analog and it sounds great for what it is, example: Matrix 6 vs Juno 60. Release the PD synth from trying to compete in the crowded low end analog synth market and it doesn't need to be a general purpose synth, see Casio vs Bazilla. Mask the weaknesss of the filter behind distortion and the limitations don't matter so much when the cheap filter is no longer trying to be a real analog filter, see Nord vs Virus.

Sendy wrote:To me plasticy means chompy, solid but pliable, a bit of shine, and somewhat artificual sounding. Check out PlastiCZ by ReFX. Ultimate plasticy sound. Actually, PD synths in general can have that tone. Vanguard is another plasticy synth, it's the kind of plastic that can melt and fizz, but always in a very digital but pleasing way.
I find PD/CZ synths buzzy, in a good way.

do_androids_dream wrote:
trimph1 wrote:
Wibble wobble double trouble = double post. But even taken at face value, still says more of importance than any other post in this thread.

Weebles = low centre of gravity bunch of bastards.

1wob2many wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:
trimph1 wrote:
Wibble wobble double trouble = double post. But even taken at face value, still says more of importance than any other post in this thread.

Weebles = low centre of gravity bunch of bastards.
But they still won't fall down...

I had a dream where musicians and audio engineers on the KVR stopped using meaningless words to describe qualities of sounds...

But sadly that wouldn't work so well, because as always someones "plasticky" sound would be someone elses "rubbery" sound and 100 page threads filled with great emotional flame wars would drown this forum. :D
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

do_androids_dream wrote:
trimph1 wrote:
:hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I've always used "plasticky" in a negative connotation, like "Nazis sound very plasticky when they speak."

quantum7 wrote:I've always used "plasticky" in a negative connotation, like "Nazis sound very plasticky when they speak."
You just enacted Godwin's Law...... :help: :o :o :lol: :lol:
Barry

do_androids_dream wrote:Synths seem to fall into two categories for me - not so much plastic but literally 2d or 3d sounding. That's how it 'feels'. It's worth noting I'm one of those weird synaesthetic people (in actuality it just means that some of the wiring in the brain is faulty - we ain't special lol) and I really am very sensitive to sound - an unexpected sound in a mix that comes from an unexpected part of the stereo field can sometimes really scare me! Seriously. Anyway... most synths tend to sound 'flat' to me - literally like they exist on a 2 dimensional plane with no depth. Some synths sound like a solid 3 dimensional object - ie. they sound like they have depth to them. The 'plastic' synths mostly fall into the 2d category and tend to translate as 'weak' or 'artificial' - like they're imitations of 'real' sound. Or something. And it's mostly analogue synths that have the 3d quality - some VA's too though like the Nord synths, the AN1X and Sylenth. ESQ1 is a weird one as it can sound both 2d and 3d... do I need help? lol :D
You do need help :D Electra 2 has been described as plasticy and is most definitely not weak or 2d. Lol I'm so freaking sick of this obsession with analog.

If plastic sounding means not sounding like an old analog synth then it's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I've used tons over the years and there are few of them that I would choose over almost any VST on the market. If plastic means very clean and precise like a Nord or one of the other va synths of that era then I feel it's a decent description and one that more synths should strive for. The first few albums I produced used a Nord lead 1, Nord modular 1, and a Yammy AN1x for every single synth sound, most of which were rendered into phrases and played back off of an Akai s2000 sampler and even with the extremely limited mixing tools we had access to (a 24 channel Macklemore board, like 20 stomp boxes, and 3 Alesis micro compressors) it was one of the easiest to mix albums I've ever done. The mixes still sound great and the mastering engineer (who did a superb job at adding some extra low end oomph and overall level) said it was a breeze to master. I just don't get any negative connotations when I hear someone describe a sound a plastic.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote:If plastic sounding means not sounding like an old analog synth then it's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I've used tons over the years and there are few of them that I would choose over almost any VST on the market. If plastic means very clean and precise like a Nord or one of the other va synths of that era then I feel it's a decent description and one that more synths should strive for. The first few albums I produced used a Nord lead 1, Nord modular 1, and a Yammy AN1x for every single synth sound, most of which were rendered into phrases and played back off of an Akai s2000 sampler and even with the extremely limited mixing tools we had access to (a 24 channel Macklemore board, like 20 stomp boxes, and 3 Alesis micro compressors) it was one of the easiest to mix albums I've ever done. The mixes still sound great and the mastering engineer (who did a superb job at adding some extra low end oomph and overall level) said it was a breeze to master. I just don't get any negative connotations when I hear someone describe a sound a plastic.
Would you care to reveal your production moniker or link to those albums? They're among my favourite synths and I wouldn't mind hearing them. As a mixing and mastering engineer I can tell you that I've noticed a few things regarding synths. In general it boils down to this - most vst synthesisers need a lot more work to get them to sit nicely in the mix. Analog synths and other notable hardware VA's usually take far less work. Why? I'm not exactly sure but it's certainly true. Also, the fact that your music was a breeze to master probably says more about your mixing skills than anything. I get plenty of software only electronica tracks that are also a breeze to master and I get full hardware productions that need a lot of work - it's down to the skill of the person behind the controls ;)
Last edited by do_androids_dream on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbl post

The funny thing about the weeble bit is that there used to be a high school in London, ON called Wheable. The school cheer used to be...Wheables wobble but they don't fall down. :hihi:
Barry

Return to “Instruments”