The best hardware synths? favorites etc?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi im looking for hardware synths and images so i can get inspired and little how they r built.

Im making vsts. Would be cool to know some realy top synths.

And why they r so good. Im not gona copy a synth. I just wana get inspired and know the good things and bad things about them.

So whos your favorites? and the best synths?

Prolly being a little biased here but i love the look of my dave smith Pro2...moogs gear always looks premium too
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I am a digital guy, because of functionallity

Kronos
V- synth
EX5
Virus
JP-80

My personal favourite:

rsp
sound sculptist

These are my favorites:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Access Virus Indigo - for all those staple '90s dance leads & basses ;) It's actually the synth that got me hooked on hardware units. Compact, yet so powerful and fun to play with. Someday...

Novation MiniNova - one of the most underrated compact synth outhere; feature-packed, those 'animate' buttons are the bomb, very modern & edgy sounds, the best onboard vocoder in its category (Microkorg's sounds awful & undefined by comparison). My next purchase (whenever I manage to raise the money for).

M-audio Venom - prolly the most underrated synth in the last 10 years. Very distinct sound, full of overdriven & distorted sounds, perfect for aggressive music (industrial/ebm/dubstep and the like), onboard audio interface, HUGE factory bank(s), available for peanuts. What's not to like? (proud owner here).

Yamaha DX200 - it's one of the craziest sounding synths ever, very aggressive (extreme FM, anyone?), weird, and packed with unique sounds; perfect for industrial/ebm and similar genres. My 2nd next buy after MiniNova (or whichever pops first at a decent price) ;)

Korg MicroX - one heck of a little synth. Not build for live & abuse (that freakin' rotary dial is so wabbly out of the box), but one heck of a master source in a home studio for virtually any type of sound - from classic orchestral to exotic ethnic instruments. Got mine at half price (the shop was trying to unload them fast since they got discontinued). Very happy owner :)

Yamaha RM1x - I know, it's mainly a sequencer, but I got mine for the onboard synth and I'm using it as an additional sound bank. Main sounds (basses, etc) are lacking, but the fx, pads, ethnic & percussion banks are killer. And the arpeggiator is craazy :) Not to mention the very logical and easy to understand layout - it takes minutes to start making music with it - very, very good design. Damn, Yamaha used to make such cool units back in the day...

As you can see, I don't care about analog vs digital vs VA vs romplers. Nor if it's mono, para or polyphonic. I just grab whatever tickles my ears, sparks my creative juices and fits my very tight wallet ;) And I do prefer compact units (25 keys or desktops); don't mind mini keys either since I'm not a keyboard player (my main instrument is bass) . The end ;)

[EDIT] PS: Roland SH-32 - very distinct sonic character & killer arpeggiator (my 3rd on my "to get" list) ;)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

microkorg xl +
It's only weaknesses are its mini keys and not enough polyphony.
Other than that, it does do great analog and digital pcm type sounds.
I like the filter routing options among other great things about it.

idfpower wrote:Novation MiniNova - one of the most underrated compact synth outhere; feature-packed, those 'animate' buttons are the bomb, very modern & edgy sounds, the best onboard vocoder in its category (Microkorg's sounds awful & undefined by comparison). My next purchase (whenever I manage to raise the money for).
+1

The interface connects with me, really easy to understand and tweak.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”