How to Record Hardware Instrument with Effects?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How can I record the output of a hardware instrument track, with bitwig efxs to an audio track? Selecting post efxs of the instrument track as the recording source doesn't work, only the hardware inputs work, but then there are no bitwig efxs. I'm guessing I am totally missing something or this feature is not available yet.

If you record the hardware input and monitor through Bitwig, you will hear whatever fx you add. Then just leave the fx in place after the recording and you have the same sound. Anything wrong with that?

OK, I guess that's what I'll have to do. Though, it's an extra step. They should probably add that feature soon, since it is an option for an audio track. Sucks that it doesn't work. I was use to working this way in Ableton Live.

What's the extra step there?

The way I used to do it in Ableton was monitor hardware instruments in a external instrument track, record a midi beat. Then record that beat with internal effects to an audio track.

So I gather in Bitwig, I'll record the sequenced beat from the audio inputs and then add effects to the audio track. I'd like to have the instrument track with effects, recorded to an audio track. I guess I didn't explain well. Thanks for helping me.

Yup.

It's all about messing about with them VST's man. Hardware seemed to be the last thing on their minds.

use HW instrument device. Put FX after it in track. Create new audio track. Make the audio input of this new track the track that has the HW instrument POST FADER. Arm it to record. Hit record on that track in clip launcher. It will record everything with the FX from the other track(the one that has the HW instrument and FX). This is one way to do it. One thing to note is you wont see a level on the track meter you are recording to. I think this is a bug actually. This is basically a realtime bounce with FX.

owensands wrote:use HW instrument device. Put FX after it in track. Create new audio track. Make the audio input of this new track the track that has the HW instrument POST FADER. Arm it to record. Hit record on that track in clip launcher. It will record everything with the FX from the other track(the one that has the HW instrument and FX). This is one way to do it. One thing to note is you wont see a level on the track meter you are recording to. I think this is a bug actually. This is basically a realtime bounce with FX.
Thanks this worked. There is no level in the track meter and also it seemed record at a low signal. Though I was able to record hardware with effects. Awesome!

it doesn't need to be this complicated...

its not complicated. Its very basic routing.

johnnyboy5000 wrote:
owensands wrote:use HW instrument device. Put FX after it in track. Create new audio track. Make the audio input of this new track the track that has the HW instrument POST FADER. Arm it to record. Hit record on that track in clip launcher. It will record everything with the FX from the other track(the one that has the HW instrument and FX). This is one way to do it. One thing to note is you wont see a level on the track meter you are recording to. I think this is a bug actually. This is basically a realtime bounce with FX.
Thanks this worked. There is no level in the track meter and also it seemed record at a low signal. Though I was able to record hardware with effects. Awesome!
Its post fader so just turn the fader up on the hardware instrument track to get a higher level(I would personally set the fader to 0db's). Also make sure your input level is healthy. Should be about ~-18db-~15db RMS or ~-9db to ~-6db peaks on the track that has the HW instrument device. This will allow ample headroom when mixing in the DAW with other tracks in your project. Also make sure the track you record to is also set to 0db. Now the level you hear is the level that will get recorded. BW by default when adding a new audio track sets the fader to -10 I believe. This can be changed in the options menus for audio. They do this by default because when mixing in the DAW you will probably have your faders pulled down around there anyway since when you sum all the tracks together they will need to be UNDER 0db on the master fader to avoid digital clipping. This would be achieved by pulling down the levels of all your tracks.

You could alternatively record to the HW instrument track and then "Bounce with FX" to a new track. Same thing but one more step.

Return to “Bitwig”