Diversion 1.4 released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diversion Diversity 2 for Diversion Diversity for Diversion

Examigan wrote:I wrote to Dmitry about this, as I still can't get it working 100%.

I got Oscs 1, 2, and 4 to work; each will play only in their own corner. Each will reduce in volume as you move away from whichever corner, but not Osc 3, which should only sound off in the top-right corner.
Hmmmm and I got Oscs 1,2, and 3 working so it doesn't matter what Oscs are used it's only possible to get three of them in their own corner and it appears that the upper right hand corner it the culprit.........seems to defy logic.

Have you heard back from Dmitry ? Will be interesting to hear what he says about the issue. Thanks for giving this a go.......... :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
Examigan wrote:I wrote to Dmitry about this, as I still can't get it working 100%.

I got Oscs 1, 2, and 4 to work; each will play only in their own corner. Each will reduce in volume as you move away from whichever corner, but not Osc 3, which should only sound off in the top-right corner.
Hmmmm and I got Oscs 1,2, and 3 working so it doesn't matter what Oscs are used it's only possible to get three of them in their own corner and it appears that the upper right hand corner it the culprit.........seems to defy logic.

Have you heard back from Dmitry ? Will be interesting to hear what he says about the issue. Thanks for giving this a go.......... :)
I worded that wrong, I didn't mean "...but not Osc 3, which should only sound off in the top-right corner." I said that because I had Osc 3 in that corner. Seems it is the corner, not the osc, if that makes sense. :)

Also, I haven't heard from him yet. I emailed the preset to him that I made so he can check it out. Hopefully he can just make a fix/update for it.

Here's most of what Dmitry told me in an email today. I thought I should pass it along, as others might try the same thing. I mentioned Teksonik in the email I had sent him, and how we both couldn't get it to work:

"Actually, Morph XY in Diversion is just a mapping, its nothing more than just two independent values adjustable with a single control. Vector synthesis require a bit different math and it's just not possible to implement such sound programming as you and Teksonik wanted to achieve with Morph XY control. In our case we are trying to add two control values in order to get osc's output level. Due to such simulation it's absolutely normal that you can't get desired behavior on Osc3 because you can't make zero Osc level in two corners of XY-control by adding two parameters which values defaults as unity, you should have at least one zero default value for that (as you correctly noticed, it is possible to implement on Osc1,2 and 4, because they all have at least one zero coordinate in their corners). Vector synthesis implies some other logic and utilizes crossfading between different engine states with different calculations, so in case of vector synthesis you'd achieve the scheme you mentioned.

So there is actually no vector synthesis in Diversion, XY-controls are just convenient things which can be used to create some nice timbre changes, but it's not like vector synthesis is."

8)

Examigan wrote: Seems it is the corner, not the osc, if that makes sense.
Ummmm yes.......... :wink:
Teksonik wrote: it appears that the upper right hand corner i the culprit....

----
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Examigan wrote:it's absolutely normal that you can't get desired behavior on Osc3 because you can't make zero Osc level in two corners of XY-control by adding two parameters which values defaults as unity, you should have at least one zero default value for that (as you correctly noticed, it is possible to implement on Osc1,2 and 4, because they all have at least one zero coordinate in their corners).

So there is actually no vector synthesis in Diversion, XY-controls are just convenient things which can be used to create some nice timbre changes, but it's not like vector synthesis is."

8)
Yet I did get Osc 3 to work so even he is missing the point that it's the corner not the Osc. You can map 3 osc to 3 corners but not the fourth.........ok.

Oh well thanks anyway I have synths that can do Vector synthesis so no big deal.......... :shrug:

sches wrote:
medienhexer wrote:Dmitry, any news about an update for the Diversion FX? I'm 64 bit only on a Mac, so I can't use the old version :)
Hey, I'm finishing a new effect now, which I'd say a kind of successor, but it's much better than DiversionFX was. Unfortunately, it's not a freeware, but it won't cost much for sure. It will come in VST/AU/AAX format both 32/64bits and Mac/Win. It will be released in max two months. DiversionFX can be totally replaced by the new effect.
Hi! Any news?

Hi WolfKay, yes, the plugin ready, a bit more of final testing and it go live very soon.

Great news, Dmitry, can't wait!
:wheee: :hyper: :wheee:

To make the waiting more fun, you can already listen to an example:

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helzle/ta ... e-binaural

It consists of three tracks :
- The main melodic sequence is a Diversion preset without the plugin applied.
- The two other tracks that come in later use drone-like, non-rhythmic Diversion presets of my own making that get "rhytmisized" (?) by the new plugin.
No drums or samples used...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Nice work Thomas. :tu:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

ThomasHelzle wrote:To make the waiting more fun, you can already listen to an example:

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helzle/ta ... e-binaural

It consists of three tracks :
- The main melodic sequence is a Diversion preset without the plugin applied.
- The two other tracks that come in later use drone-like, non-rhythmic Diversion presets of my own making that get "rhytmisized" (?) by the new plugin.
No drums or samples used...

Cheers,

Tom
Nice sounds there, Tom. Makes me want to go out and get a tantric massage.

Well, I wanted to give this synth a fair chance even though I wasn't impressed with any of the audio demos I heard. I've learned that sometimes you have to dive into a synth yourself.

So I downloaded the demo and really gave it a workout. My evaluation is going to take everything into consideration including the price.

Let me first comment on the GUI. It's not bad. It isn't U-he great but it's decent. At least I can read everything. There's still way too much on one screen but that seems to be the thing these days. I'm learning to live with it. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give the GUI an 8.

Next I want to comment on the raw sounds of the synth itself, unprocessed. The built in waveforms and samples are okay. They're not great. But in most synths where they're packing a ton of sound sources, this is also the norm. You want great raw sound you have to go to synths with just a few waveforms or synths where you can create your own like Zebra 2. But that's an unfair example because few synths are Zebra 2. In short, the raw sounds of this synth are a 7, which is about what you can expect.

Next, the mod matrix. 24 slots would appear to be a lot but it's deceptive. Why? Because of the architecture of how the oscillators are routed, each one having its own filter. While this makes sound design very flexible, should you want to modulate every filter with your mod wheel, that's 4 slots taken up because you can't route one mod wheel source to 4 destinations. So in reality, you can have as few as 6 matrix slots depending on how complex your needs are. I'd rather either Diversion had just one filter for all the oscillators or allowed you to modulate all 4 filters with one mod wheel assignment or put in more matrix slots. So I give the mod matrix a 7 as well.

Next is the patch management system. I don't know if this is a bug in the demo or the way this thing is designed, but when I go to the leads bank and then try to scroll through it, the demo takes me back to the ATMOS bank. So if I want to scroll through the leads bank, I can't. I have to load each individual patch going through the file load option. This was a big oops as far as I'm concerned. I give the patch management system a 3.

As for the FX, some are better than others. None of them blow me away, but it's nice to have a decent selection and the number of FX you can have per patch is nice. I give the FX an 8.

I don't care about presets at all because I design my own but seriously, the demos or factory patches don't do this synth justice. You can get some really cool sounds out of it if you take the time to dive into it. But the presets are lackluster.

The MSEGs and ENVs are nice. Good just there. I give them a 9.

Here's where I was really disappointed. But I'm disappointed with a lot of synths in this area.

The filters.

I have learned from experience that if you want Moog and MS-20 quality filters, you need to look to what I call "narrow" synths where the filters are a main selling point simply because the synths themselves aren't a jack of all trades. They're essentially analog emulations like Diva and Monark. Those are filters. The Korg Legacy MS-20. That's a filter.

Diversion's filters are, for the most part, par for the course. They're what you can expect from a "do-it-all" synth. The problem is, I expect more from a "do-it-all" synth that costs $169. Zebra's filters are much better. Granted, it's $30 more, but I would have gladly paid $30 more for excellent filters out of this synth because this synth has some interesting possibilities because of its structure. But the filters leave me cold. They're meh. I give them a 7.

Overall, the synth is a 7 to 8 on the scale, which is fine. It's more than usable and like I said, if you dive into it, you can get some decent, if not amazing sounds out of it.

But for me, this is yet another Sylenth1. It's too much money for what you're getting. If the sound quality of the raw waveforms was better I could maybe see going for it. But this synth's strengths are in glassy pads and atmospheric stuff. It doesn't really cut through the mix on leads because the of the meh filters and res. So if I'm going to use this it'll be mostly for what the maker of this synth probably intended it to be used for, which is why almost every demo I've heard is basically airy pads and bells.

I'm glad I demo'd this. I didn't want to just dismiss it without giving it a fair chance. But for me, this just isn't a $169 synth. $129, yes. Not $169. I'm using my existing collection as comparison to determine that price.

Naturally I know there are those who will disagree with me and tell me how stupid I am, so let me qualify all the above as this is just my opinion. But for this kind of money, I'd say you're better off spending $10 more and getting Blue 2.

Again, just my opinion.

elipsis1 wrote:Diversion is such a nice plugin. Otherworldly sound!
Yep. Agreed. The "collaboration" presets are awesome. The "old lead" preset gives me chills.
Last edited by arkmabat on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote: Naturally I know there are those who will disagree with me and tell me how stupid I am, so let me qualify all the above as this is just my opinion. But for this kind of money, I'd say you're better off spending $10 more and getting Blue 2.

Again, just my opinion.
I disagree but thank you for the very fine critique. It isn't fair to compare anything to Zebra since it is almost incomparable and in a class of its own but I tried Blue 2 and bought Diversion-- when it was on sale of course.

Your opinion? Well presented and thorough but I would give it a 7 at most.

:wink:
바보

bftucker wrote:Your opinion? Well presented and thorough but I would give it a 7 at most. :wink:
LOL :tu:

For what it's worth:
For me personally Diversion is something like 9 out of 10.
I love the hands-on modulation directly on the GUI, the very precise and on demand cutting heights, the comb filters, the fact that I can filter and distort the already filtered and distorted result in a clever way, the flexibility of the oscillators and the ease of use. And many small, well thought out details.
And: Diversion can really scream if you want it to.
It has it's own sound which I enjoy, I get different results and explore other realms than with other synths.

If I want Diva, I use Diva :-)

But like everything in life, this is totally subjective. :party:

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Return to “Instruments”