Is there a way to undo plugin adjustments?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In Live, pretty much everything can be undone including most plugin parameter adjustments. In Bitwig though, it appears not. It seems like very few things are part of the undo history in fact.

Since so many plugins have no undo feature of their own, is there a way i can make it so that Bitwig's undo functions like Live's?

With this u-he promo, I am so close to jumping on board. But there's just a few niggles I have, this is a big one.

Undo works on all internal devices but not on third party VST's AFAIK.

I was missing that already, too. I always save my VST plugin settings in beteween tweaking now... you never know... :wink:
This could be your ad!

Yeah, I figure i could assign a parameter to a macro first then it would be undo-able but this feels really long-winded.

I often have a tendency to get carried away adjusting plugins then need to backtrack a few steps. I know Live is a rarity with this level of undo but it's really important functionality for me. Its the main thing putting me off buying Bitwig right now.

use plugins that have undo ;)

You know what I've thought, how about in the actual instrument device for the plugin, having specific undo/redo on that?

Reckon that would be a cool feature adding to Bitwig's uniqueness.

Is there somewhere official i can submit feature requests? Reckon I've got a few more up my sleeve.

Suloo wrote:use plugins that have undo ;)
Yes, i had figured that but its surprising how many good synths and effects lack this.

Fab filter plugins all have undo as well. Unfortunately it seems this has to be done on the VST level.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

But in Live i can undo almost every plugin parameter change i make using the global undo/redo, irrespective of whether the plugin itself has the feature. BlueCat's new chainer adds a (slightly buggy) undo to everything it hosts. It can clearly be done, and if its done right its a very useful thing to have.

mutantdog wrote:But in Live i can undo almost every plugin parameter change i make using the global undo/redo, irrespective of whether the plugin itself has the feature. BlueCat's new chainer adds a (slightly buggy) undo to everything it hosts. It can clearly be done, and if its done right its a very useful thing to have.
i agree its alot more nice. Haha when people say "in some plugins you can use undo redo". When you want the ctrl+z or y to work its often do not work in the plugins. You have to press a button. would love if i could undo within bitwig even thirdpartys that dont have undo button. People please when a great idea comes like this please dont be like "in some plugins you can use undo redo". This is a great idea actually. All plugins dont have undo and redo, but having the controll at your fingertips is much more handy then pressing a button inside the plugin. Its nice adjusting a plugin while having your left hand to ctrl+z if you did not like it while keep changing with your right hand and mouse! :)
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

At the picture below i wish i could see this parameter instead of percentage so i could get the value of how its written inside the plugin. This represent the hz. This works in logic to use ana and see the hz.
hz2.jpg

IF this worked in bitwig it would look like the internal plugin like this.
hz.jpg
Any thoughts about this? Bitwig tech support said that they dont think its possible. I believe its possible, logic have it aaaand we can se the numbers within "show plugins parameters" in the device in bitwig so that means bitwig can actually represent the numbers and value in automation also. In a logical way it would work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard

Always when i read "but in live..."

then i think about this: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=420129

Suloo wrote:Always when i read "but in live..."

then i think about this: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=420129
is it wrong to compair? if we want functions we have the right to say so =)

sure you have the right, just FR better go to tech support, doesn't make much sense to claim this or that is missing in here imo.

ronnyrydgren wrote:
mutantdog wrote:But in Live i can undo almost every plugin parameter change i make using the global undo/redo, irrespective of whether the plugin itself has the feature. BlueCat's new chainer adds a (slightly buggy) undo to everything it hosts. It can clearly be done, and if its done right its a very useful thing to have.
i agree its alot more nice. Haha when people say "in some plugins you can use undo redo". When you want the ctrl+z or y to work its often do not work in the plugins. You have to press a button. would love if i could undo within bitwig even thirdpartys that dont have undo button. People please when a great idea comes like this please dont be like "in some plugins you can use undo redo". This is a great idea actually. All plugins dont have undo and redo, but having the controll at your fingertips is much more handy then pressing a button inside the plugin. Its nice adjusting a plugin while having your left hand to ctrl+z if you did not like it while keep changing with your right hand and mouse! :)
Reaper has a full undo history too, I must admit I was so used to this I was surprised when I tried to undo a plugin action in a host that didn't support it (not Bitwig, earlier) only to find this removed the plugin itself! The way I see it is anything that can be automated in the host (i.e that the host is 'aware' of and that produces things like envelopes that the host manages) should be undoable.

ronnyrydgren wrote: Any thoughts about this? Bitwig tech support said that they dont think its possible. I believe its possible, logic have it aaaand we can se the numbers within "show plugins parameters" in the device in bitwig so that means bitwig can actually represent the numbers and value in automation also. In a logical way it would work.
Undo idea is interesting. I'm just thinking of utilizing DirectParameter(Controller API) right now. If undo apply to limit the time period within which a device panel has focused, it's not really hard to implement in controller script. I will try near future.

jhorology wrote:
ronnyrydgren wrote: Any thoughts about this? Bitwig tech support said that they dont think its possible. I believe its possible, logic have it aaaand we can se the numbers within "show plugins parameters" in the device in bitwig so that means bitwig can actually represent the numbers and value in automation also. In a logical way it would work.
Undo idea is interesting. I'm just thinking of utilizing DirectParameter(Controller API) right now. If undo apply to limit the time period within which a device panel has focused, it's not really hard to implement in controller script. I will try near future.
i work with mice and keyboard hehe. but i think if possible with keyboard and mice it would easily be possible with controllers pretty easy also =)

Return to “Bitwig”