Diversion 1.4 released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diversion Diversity 2 for Diversion Diversity for Diversion

Diversion is the synth that synth anoraks go to if they want the equivalent of a very, very sharp paring knife. The other is Serum. Definitely a 9/10. :)

Just for the heck of it, I did a very simple sound test between Zebra 2 and Diversion using nothing more than a sawtooth wave and a 24 db LP filter and resonance at about 40% with mod wheel assigned to filter cutoff to "sweep" it.

I can post the sounds of each if you like but a simple description will suffice.

The Zebra 2 sound was very clear with a very defined sweep.

The Diversion sound was somewhat distorted without the same definition on the sweep.

As someone said, Diversion has its own sound. By nature, it's almost distorted to begin with and thus can get pretty gritty. But it doesn't have that cleanness that I like in a simple sawtooth filter sweep.

As to what causes the difference, I don't know. I know very little about the "under the hood" stuff of what makes oscillators and filters sound like they do. I only know how to use them to get the sounds that I want to get. I'm not suggesting that Diversion's oscillators and filters are inferior to Zebra 2's. I'm just saying that they sound totally different and, for my personal taste and need, can't give me that clean, crisp, well defined sound that I get from Zebra 2 when I want it.

I can absolutely see why some people would enjoy Diversion's sound. It is in fact quite different from most VSTs. It just isn't my cup of tea for all around use.

It is in fact quite different from most VSTs.
Which is brilliant, there are enough analogue emulations and soundalikes to pave Rome over :clown:
What would be it's point if it would sound the same as Zebra? ;-)

I personally don't get much out of comparisons in sound between synths other than some coarse technical structure like "analog emulation", "wavetable" etc.
I download the demo, listen to some presets, if that inspires me, I do some sounds of my own, see how the workflow is laid out. If it brings something new to the table, I consider it, if not, I don't.

I'm the other way around from you, I find serum sounding too clean, it left me totally cold.
Rob Papen synths don't do anything for me either.

Diversion I find INTERESTING :-)
It just isn't my cup of tea for all around use.
Which is all fine and dandy - and all it boils down to in the end. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

It's refreshing to see you guys having a productive, polite, respectful discussion. If only everyone did. Good points all the way around imho.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Interesting to note that Diversion's developer has produced only one soundset -- and that was for Zebra. It seems that Mr. Sches was also impressed by Zebra (my favorite soft synth, by the way).

http://dmitrysches.com/ambientvoices

http://dmitrysches.com/files/Individual ... _Sches.mp3

:phones:
바보

ThomasHelzle wrote:
It is in fact quite different from most VSTs.
Which is brilliant, there are enough analogue emulations and soundalikes to pave Rome over :clown:
What would be it's point if it would sound the same as Zebra? ;-)

I personally don't get much out of comparisons in sound between synths other than some coarse technical structure like "analog emulation", "wavetable" etc.
I download the demo, listen to some presets, if that inspires me, I do some sounds of my own, see how the workflow is laid out. If it brings something new to the table, I consider it, if not, I don't.

I'm the other way around from you, I find serum sounding too clean, it left me totally cold.
Rob Papen synths don't do anything for me either.

Diversion I find INTERESTING :-)
It just isn't my cup of tea for all around use.
Which is all fine and dandy - and all it boils down to in the end. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
You know what I would personally use Diversion for, if I was into that sort of music? Industrial. I can see it getting some interesting timbers for that genre. And of course for airy pads and bells it's fine too. But that's a pretty generic category that a lot of synths can cover.

For the record, I don't use Zebra 2 for everything. I prefer Omnisphere for atmospheres and soundscapes. In fact, I wouldn't even consider Zebra 2 for those things.

It's for this very reason that I have over 100 VSTs. If I thought there was one that could do everything and really make completely different sounds so that they didn't all come from the same synth, I'd only own one. But the truth is, such a synth has yet to be created and I doubt it ever will be as every synth has its own character that you just can't escape no matter how many "different" sounds you program with it.

bftucker wrote:Interesting to note that Diversion's developer has produced only one soundset -- and that was for Zebra. It seems that Mr. Sches was also impressed by Zebra (my favorite soft synth, by the way).
AFAIK Diversion is actually the result of this - some things can't (or couldn't at the time) be done with Zebra. Really cutting heights for instance.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

How do you guys feel about having 4 cutoffs? I like the sound but don't really like that aspect. Am I weird? Lol

Dmitry, will any of the R&D for your upcoming FX make it into Diversion at some point? Or are we talking Diversion 2 for something like that? Thanks :tu:

ckam03 wrote:How do you guys feel about having 4 cutoffs? I like the sound but don't really like that aspect. Am I weird? Lol
I'm happy to have them. They provide lots of extra possibilities. You also have the 2 bus filters which you can route the oscillators through in various ways, so you can forget about the oscillator filters if you like and just use the bus filters. They can also process their inputs per voice or summed. 8)

Satch1 wrote:
ckam03 wrote:How do you guys feel about having 4 cutoffs? I like the sound but don't really like that aspect. Am I weird? Lol
I'm happy to have them. They provide lots of extra possibilities. You also have the 2 bus filters which you can route the oscillators through in various ways, so you can forget about the oscillator filters if you like and just use the bus filters. They can also process their inputs per voice or summed. 8)
Yeah exactly, if you want to use just 1 filter for all oscillators (like most synths, ie, one cut-off), just one of the buss filters and set it to poly. Leave the other filters per osc off.

Oh, and Dmitry, care to share a screenshot of the upcoming effect? :)

BDeep wrote:Oh, and Dmitry, care to share a screenshot of the upcoming effect? :)
get a diaper first ;)

Sorry guys for the late reply, give me please some time to make everything finished and I'll share all the information about the upcoming effect, I just like to show anything on public when it's 100% ready only, it still has few things that I don't want to see in the final version. Anyway, it's very close now to finish.

Thanks for opinions and short reviews, it's always a pleasure to read well written opinions, even if the plugins didn't impress authors.

As for Zebra, yeah, it's an uber-plugin and I'll love it forever, it made a major impact on Diversion for sure.

And finally, the new plugin will affect Diversion as well, so many ideas here now, I hope to have all the time needed to make everything done.

Really excited to see what you've got for us Dmitry. :hyper:
Best of luck to you :tu:

Return to “Instruments”