Cubase style offline VST plugin processing in other DAWs...?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there any other DAWs where you can do Cubase style offline processing?

What I mean, in Cubase you can go to Audio menu --> plugin --> VST plugin, then Preview / Process and the audio clip is processed offline with the plug. You can do the same also in Audio Pool directly to the audio file.

I think somebody claimed that you can do this in Studio One, but I I did not find it from there.

Question 2: When doing this in Cubase and pressing Preview button, it mutes everything else than the clip with processing. Is it possible to do this so that the project in background is playing so that you can preview the processing in context before processing it...?

different DAWs have different solutions to doing this : Ableton Live has dummy clips to mimic, Bitwig has hybrid tracks to able to add different effects to the audio and MIDIs ( http://websta.me/p/928931077012451742_47172427 ) inside a track yepp S1 also knows it

it's on the left side : event fx (with render)
Last edited by xbitz on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Samplitude has this function.

xbitz wrote: Ableton Live has dummy clips to mimic
Can you give me more details what do you mean? Live is my main DAW and this is functionality I really would like to have there..

golemus wrote:
xbitz wrote: Ableton Live has dummy clips to mimic
Can you give me more details what do you mean? Live is my main DAW and this is functionality I really would like to have there..
from 3:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQfDiIHnJHc

and the whole second part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naxqgC3L3EM

so AL is quite versatile u can add different FXs to the same source on)offline too depends on your needs, if u need more resource u can also use http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... witch-midi to on/off whole device tracks
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

This is not offline processing plugs will stay there and consume CPU+RAM. To achieve the same result as in Cubase "Audio -- Plugin -- VST-plugin -- Process", you would need large amount of mouseclicks.

golemus wrote:
This is not offline processing plugs will stay there and consume CPU+RAM. To achieve the same result as in Cubase "Audio -- Plugin -- VST-plugin -- Process", you would need large amount of mouseclicks.
Indeed. It is not what OP is talking about.

In Reaper you can do it Cubase-style plus some added versatility: can keep eventFX online and working or render it as an alternative take, easily switching between processed and unprocessed version. What i disliked about Cubase on that matter is that rolling back to unprocessed version requires lotsa clicking and you can't change your mind. Also, as you mentioned, you can't listen in context. Plus - no host bpm/sync for these plug-ins. And some plug-ins just refuse to work properly that way.

FL sort of does. It does in-project rendering of a selected mixer channel with couple clicks.
Make a selection, 'arm' a mixer channel, render, and the wav is placed in the project over top of what just rendered.
It does not auto-mute/delete the stuff that was processed though.
So, you have to manually turn things off or delete them, and in the case of deleting, manually save a new project file in case you want to go backwards, etc..
ImageImageImageImage

golemus wrote:Is there any other DAWs where you can do Cubase style offline processing?

What I mean, in Cubase you can go to Audio menu --> plugin --> VST plugin, then Preview / Process and the audio clip is processed offline with the plug. You can do the same also in Audio Pool directly to the audio file.
Sonar and ProTools have always done this (PT via the Audiosuite menu; not all plugins turn up here, though, AFAIR). ProTools has the advantage of actually making it a new in-place clip, and automatically naming it after the clip it was derived from.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

DP can do this as well (and still even has a destructive editor!).
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

I wish this feature were in FL and Live. Per-object and undo-able offline effects looks so handy.

In Ableton: Assuming you're starting with an audio track, first add the VST to the end of that track's processing chain. Preview and tweak as needed. Then right-click on the track name, "Freeze track", then right-click again and "Flatten track." Now you have an audio track with the VST effect permanently applied to it. (To keep the old one too, duplicate the track first)

I miss something here... so now basicly we can call bounce function offline rendering?? just wondering

mmoncur wrote:In Ableton: Assuming you're starting with an audio track, first add the VST to the end of that track's processing chain. Preview and tweak as needed. Then right-click on the track name, "Freeze track", then right-click again and "Flatten track." Now you have an audio track with the VST effect permanently applied to it. (To keep the old one too, duplicate the track first)
Or you can just freeze and ctrl drag the frozen clip to another slot or channel.
Unfreeze the original track as required.

Tracktion has the excellent Freeze Point feature that allows you to freeze at any point in your effects chain and you can render with many options including replace or to new track
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”