The Hive Hexagon Thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

one of the things that keeps albino 3 in my setup is the layers and keysplits, handy live when you are only running one instance but you want it to handle 3 synths sounds or so.

be great to have layers and keysplits in hive and have it managed from the hexagon.

btw thanks again for diva, its at 7:11 of this show:

https://soundcloud.com/tonyostinato/2014nov8set2

obviously im having fun with that.

Output Limiter like in Virus TI... PLEASE !!!

risbo28 wrote:Output Limiter like in Virus TI... PLEASE !!!
Mmm, Sylenth DOES have one. There may have to be a redesign of the FX panel in order to fit in it, along with my Dimension Expander idea and Ring-mod XD.

Luckily, Plate Reverb, Vowel Phasers, and Diva's Rotary/Tube/etc Distortion can just come from the drop-down menu.

How about this for 2 ideas. I think they could be pretty cool! :D

1) Essentially an XY Pad with extras.
Have different standard instrument types (bass, lead, percussive, pad etc.) on each of corners of hexagon.
They can be morphed with the mouse or automation. There would also be buttons near the corners of each instrument type to randomize the sound. Creating different timbres and tones on every press.

2) Just have buttons in the hexagon that instantly create different types of instruments (bass, lead, percussive, pad etc.) but every time you press it there is slight differences every time. Random but not over the top, kinda like rolling the dice.

Howard wrote:
garryknight wrote:... I've never come across patch randomization on any synth that actually works well.
Good! (and not at all surprising)
I nearly missed seeing your comment, and would have done if I hadn't come back for a re-read of the thread. I might be missing the meaning here, but it seems that you don't think much of the idea. If so, I'm surprised. If not, then I apologise for misunderstanding.

As someone who is still learning to get to grips with the different ways of synthesizing sound, I've found it useful to hear a sound and look at the settings that created that sound. And if I just play with the settings of some preset, or create my own patches, I tend to do the same things over again and get similar sounds. To have something created semi-randomly that is a sound I wouldn't have come up with is something I feel I'd find useful.

I've played with the randomizer on Sonic Academy's ANA synth. It has the benefit over other randomizers that you can hold certain settings while randomizing others. Yes, I've only created a few useful patches by using it, but I feel I've learned something from the process. On the other hand, the patch randomizer in Sylenth1 seems more suited to producing odd sci-fi sound effects and is of more limited use.

When I suggested that Hive might benefit from a patch randomizer of some sort, I wasn't thinking of the ones in ANA or Sylenth1. What I had in mind was more like the way MPowerSynth does it: working from a pool of presets that are known to work well together. It's possible that this works better in a synth like MPowerSynth with both its number of waveforms and its ability to use hand-drawn waveforms than it would in the relatively simpler Hive synth.

But if Hive had a hexagon with a number of parameters that could be held or randomized to create new patches - from a pool, in the same way as MPowerSynth, it could be a good self-teaching tool, in my opinion.

@garryknight
Why not study patches/ presets if You want to learn ?

Hmmmm... the random generator idea would be interesting if the honeycomb pieces can be defined as to what part of the sound they affect. Seems like that would let you experiment a little with patch qualities, in a more controlled way. Kind of like Vacuum Pro by Air. But the Alchemy matrix was always the most useful sound option on a VI in my humble opinion... that thing was brilliant for non programmers. Like me.

:phones:

Nutrinoland wrote:@garryknight
Why not study patches/ presets if You want to learn ?
I answered that in my 2nd paragraph. But to expand, they only tell me how the preset was made, so I'll be able to duplicate that preset. I'm more interested in creating my own sounds from scratch.

risbo28 wrote:Output Limiter like in Virus TI... PLEASE !!!
It's occurred to me that, if they WERE to be a limiter in Hive, they could just attach it to the Compressor in the FX panel without making another space for it. A Limiter is not too different from a Compressor, but with an extreme threshold. Just have a drop-down menu that selects which mode you would like and presto.

1. 8 Macro Knobs
For automatically assignment to AKAI ADVANCE, Ableton Push and so manny others. And names for the Macros to make commercial Patches instantly understandable.

2. touchAble X/Y Pad
X/Y Pad with 4 Points (each 2 assignments), with gravity and velocity

3. ORB
Variations of the patches like Omnisphere, with kind of dry/wet, so that soft changes are possible, wich makes patches less constantly equal.

4. Punish Knob
like Heavyocity :-)

5. Mikroedit
Breaktweaker Stutter Stuff

2 - 5 for future releases, but the first one may be not so difficult and the hardware integration of patch libraries would be nice.

btw, Very cool synth!

Personally, I think it would be overkill to have both an XY pad and macro controls, and between the two, I'd rather have the former. Macros will allow for deeper textures and modularity, but a very powerful XY pad can go farther depending on what it can do. Even Zebra didn't have XY, mod-matrix AND macros.

I'd personally pick the AlchemyOmnisphere XY pad Mk3 for the hexagon. Down the road can be FM/cross, hard sync, ring mod, and all the other goodies.

garryknight wrote:
Howard wrote:
garryknight wrote:... I've never come across patch randomization on any synth that actually works well.
Good! (and not at all surprising)
I nearly missed seeing your comment, and would have done if I hadn't come back for a re-read of the thread. I might be missing the meaning here, but it seems that you don't think much of the idea. If so, I'm surprised. If not, then I apologise for misunderstanding.

As someone who is still learning to get to grips with the different ways of synthesizing sound, I've found it useful to hear a sound and look at the settings that created that sound. And if I just play with the settings of some preset, or create my own patches, I tend to do the same things over again and get similar sounds. To have something created semi-randomly that is a sound I wouldn't have come up with is something I feel I'd find useful.

I've played with the randomizer on Sonic Academy's ANA synth. It has the benefit over other randomizers that you can hold certain settings while randomizing others. Yes, I've only created a few useful patches by using it, but I feel I've learned something from the process. On the other hand, the patch randomizer in Sylenth1 seems more suited to producing odd sci-fi sound effects and is of more limited use...
I would like to see a true random button. I love ugly sounds and peaking noises baby. YEAH BABBY!

Ugly sound's good things.
Examples fun XY pad is RobPapen's Raw.
If happiness When you use multiple distortions in the Hive.

Importable WAVETABLES! Excuse me for yelling.

Patch & effect blending. So you could load a patch or an effect for each one of the Haxagons and then blend and route them together.... Routing different effects (Something like Molekular) and patches together would be ablsolutely amazing.

Return to “u-he”