Is there a way to undo plugin adjustments?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've sent this in as a feature request, also including my suggestion of individual instrument device undo/redo buttons (these could sit nicely above the hide/show macro buttons). I'm not sure if the latter would be possible but in my opinion would be better than anything I've seen in any DAW.

The functionality in Live is not always perfect (CamelPhat for example didn't always respond to host undo, some EQ plugins can really mess thing up completely) but overall it can be a great way to return most plugins to a state prior to some experimental tweaks.

Honestly, all other minor niggles aside, this is the one thing currently stopping me from buying Bitwig.

well, i'm pretty sure they'll look into this but who knows how long the feature request list already is and wich ones have priority or not.
So don't be disappointed if it will take a while, if it's possible at all with the individual plugin processes.

Undo/redo for sure would be a nice feature tho.

cheers

ronnyrydgren wrote: i work with mice and keyboard hehe.
I also hehe. Qwerty Keyboard is best controller for me.

mutantdog wrote:I've sent this in as a feature request, also including my suggestion of individual instrument device undo/redo buttons (these could sit nicely above the hide/show macro buttons). I'm not sure if the latter would be possible but in my opinion would be better than anything I've seen in any DAW.
Thank you for requesting, I will do the same to double the effort ;-)

Your feature suggestion is really great by the way. Just need to figure out a good way how the global / local undo history relate to eachother. If for example you undo something on a plugin (local undo) that has been done some steps back in the global history, you cannot just delete that step from the global history, because you would mess it up that way... so performing a local undo would be added to the global actions history as a seperate step. Which again means, that if you then trigger a global undo, it would redo the step on the local level. It does sound complicated, but would make so much sense to have that feature!

From a technical standpoint I think this should be fairly easy to implement (sorry if I'm being overly stupid here). But AFAIK all plugin states are already saved to disc as seperate files in bitwig format when you hit save - so there must (of course) be an internal representation of every plugin state in memory at any given time. Bitwig just would need to track changes of that plugin state on local and global timelines... :D
This could be your ad!

I have got into the habbit of hitting ctrl+s to save before I start tweaking things. That way I can always go back if it sounds bad or I can save again if I like the results . So in a sense, Bitwig does have plugin undo, though as yet it's not an automatic process ;)

Liquinaut wrote:Your feature suggestion is really great by the way. Just need to figure out a good way how the global / local undo history relate to eachother. If for example you undo something on a plugin (local undo) that has been done some steps back in the global history, you cannot just delete that step from the global history, because you would mess it up that way... so performing a local undo would be added to the global actions history as a seperate step. Which again means, that if you then trigger a global undo, it would redo the step on the local level. It does sound complicated, but would make so much sense to have that feature!
My thinking was that plugin undo would be completely independent from global undo. Global would function exactly as it does now while the instrument device would have its own history. This might actually be more workable since plugins are independently sandboxed anyway.

If not, then an option in preferences to include plugin adjustments in global undo might be the way to go.

I also would like some buttons to recall a synth or tweaked macros, so that I can jump back to my standard sound, or to some macro presets i defined in bitwig.
If I tweak my SW synths during a live set or record, I have problems to restore my synths to the beginning or start sound. In ableton I used Kapture or used empty audio effect_racks for visualization to my 8 macros of an instrument_rack

what about saving a bitwig preset and just load that?

mutantdog wrote:My thinking was that plugin undo would be completely independent from global undo. Global would function exactly as it does now while the instrument device would have its own history. This might actually be more workable since plugins are independently sandboxed anyway.
Yeah I understand, but then no tweaking on any plugin would be registered in the global undo history, if it's a clompletely independent undo history. Which means, if you are going to undo things globally you would skip all plugin settings you tweaked in the meantime. This is not what I would expect from a global undo. :wink:

...and thanks for the other suggestions! But yes I save my projects before I tweak, and yes I save presets (we all better do :D ) - I even save different project states as different projects - but that's not the point of an undo history IMO. The option to step back any amount of changes instead of reverting to the last saved state every time is inevitable sometimes (although I also miss a "revert to last saved state" menu entry therefore).

Well that seems like a lot of complaining here, but it's not. This would just make the whole undo process somewhat easier. But of course that does not prevent me from making great music with an otherwise great software :D
This could be your ad!

Return to “Bitwig”