New Chainer Plugin from Plug&Mix

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nick Hamilton wrote:
It actually took seven months to complete the specifications we had asked for and it involved a total rewrite of the code that had been used for Magma.

So you talked poor Bernie into completely rewriting Magma (7 months of work, as you say) in order to create something that is significantly LESS powerful than what he started with? Is that what you are saying?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Yeah, feels weird.
If it would at least use the already installed VSTs instead of duplicating them (and then STILL needing a re-scan to "find" them).
Doesn't feel especially slick to me.
675 MB of duplicates for each bit depth...
Then again for the Chainer...
~2,7 GB is pretty absurd for what this collection does.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Agree.

I like the concept of the P&M Chainer. It looks good and brings something extra to the suite (the stereo spread is nice).
Having the plugins duplicated in your ProgramData folder is unneeded imho.
I rather see the normal VST's modified so they can detect normal or chainer use and adapt to that.
(See how NI does it their plugins for example, they also have an embedded interface in Maschine - same VST's)

Also the sharing of resources between plugins can be big filesize (& memory?) saver.

Haa KVR, you never cease to amuze me. Thanks for the freebie Nick, it works well with my P&M plugin. And the added analyzer is really a nice bonus.
musisikamar.com

Well I'm very happy to report that the Ambiosoniq bug is indeed fixed. That's great news as it sounds really nice with my guitar setup. Now I can use more than one instance without the bizarre noise. I'd still like to know what caused that as I've never seen anything like it with any of my other dozens of effects plugins.

Installing the 3.3.0 update package did not actually update the PM Bundle it simply installed everything all over again so I had to manually delete the older versions. Not a big deal but seems like there should be a better way.

Still haven't convinced myself to install Chainer on my studio computer but have sent Bernie the details of the bugs I've been getting on my older computer and he has been very responsive so we'll see what the future holds. Hopefully bug fix updates and any feature upgrades will come at a faster pace than the PM Bundle update.

I like the idea of being able to layer four synths, add external effects and then save that as a patch. A virtual equipment rack if you will. Should make for some awesome sounds. I have not yet tried inserting a plugin like Kirnu in front of a synth so if that works you could have different Arp/Seq plugins for each lane. That should make for some crazy sounds if it works.

EDIT: Re the Mixer. I've discovered that there is a separate 8 Channel Mixer for each of the 4 Lanes. Each Track corresponding to 8 Slots. So I was incorrect before. I thought it was just one 8 channel mixer. So I'd like to add the request for another 4 channel mixer to control the final output for each of the Lanes............. :)

Like I said before the Spread knobs seems to add some nice magic to the sound at least here (I think it's the same as the widener from Cosmos which I also own and love).

Oh hell I'll end up buying this thing. It would be hard to find anything that would be more fun for $49.
Last edited by Teksonik on Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Mace404 wrote: Having the plugins duplicated in your ProgramData folder is unneeded imho.
I rather see the normal VST's modified so they can detect normal or chainer use and adapt to that.
I agree. Since Chainer can load VST plugins I don't see the need to duplicate the PM Bundle in it's own proprietary format. 640 megs isn't really that much in this day and age but it's never a bad idea to keep your system as bloat free as possible.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
Mace404 wrote: Having the plugins duplicated in your ProgramData folder is unneeded imho.
I agree. Since Chainer can load VST plugins I don't see the need to duplicate the PM Bundle in it's own proprietary format. 640 megs isn't really that much in this day and age but it's never a bad idea to keep your system as bloat free as possible.
Did you check the Ambiosoniq bug in the plugins only bundle, or in the Chainer installer? Cause for my old laptop 640 megs is that much and I'm not going to install Chainer until they fix it's duplicates the plugs, if the Amiosoniq bug's gone from the normal plugins installer.

chris.r wrote: Did you check the Ambiosoniq bug in the plugins only bundle, or in the Chainer installer?
I checked with the Plugins Only Bundle. I have not yet installed the Chainer package on my studio computer so I can't say for sure but I have to think if the Ambiosoniq VST is fixed so is the Chainer version as well.

Well after spending some more time with Chainer it doesn't look like it's possible to use plugins like BlueArp before a synth plugin. In fact I can't figure out the signal flow at all. If you put two synths in one lane only the synth farthest to the right will sound. So if you put an Arp plugin to the left of a synth plugin it should pass the midi from say Slot 1 to Slot 2 but it doesn't. Even if you put the Arp plugin in Slot 1 Lane A and a Synth in Slot 1 Lane B it doesn't work no matter which of the two routing options you choose.

Has anybody found a manual ? I'd love to see a signal flow chart to see how this thing routes midi......... :?

The manual is in the zip file you´ve downloaded.
One folder is called documentation :wink:
My Recording Studio http://www.echopark.at

echopark wrote:The manual is in the zip file you´ve downloaded.
One folder is called documentation :wink:
Duh ! :dog: I was looking in the locations where Chainer was installed not in the zip file............ :oops:

Thanks got it now........... :)

EDIT: Wow all 12 pages........... :hihi: I was hoping for a signal flow chart. :?

I bought the Plug & Mix VIP bundle last year. Your plugins really come into their own in Chainer. Chainer integrates the VIP bundle plugins beautifully inviting playful experimentation for hours on end. I love it! Thank you! Leonard

Teksonik wrote: Installing the 3.3.0 update package did not actually update the PM Bundle it simply installed everything all over again so I had to manually delete the older versions. Not a big deal but seems like there should be a better way.
Can you tell us where to find the older versions in order to delete them? What I found was this (in OS X Yosemite):

- a Plug and Mix folder in the Application Support folder with all the P&M Plugin Settings dated March 29, 2015
- the individual P&M AU plugins in the Components folder of the Audio folder, all of them dated August 11, 2014

:help:

I can tell where I found them on my PC but I don't think it will help you much. I installed my plugins in C:/64 Bit Plugins/Plug&Mix. The update installed to 64 Bit Plugins/Plug&Mix/Plug&Mix adding the extra P&M layer. I just deleted the older plugins outside that new folder the cut/pasted them outside of it to eliminate the extra layer. I don't own a Mac so can't say where they would be.......... :?

Cheers Tek, maybe I was just lucky and didn't get a double load.
Still, if I'm going to download Chainer, that may still happen ;)

Return to “Effects”