Meet Avid members of the board - a peek at what really happend...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ982TpB9TM

It's all about a daw we knew....RIP.

this is awesome. I hate avid so much I imagine there isn't even someone who cares about any of the points brought up in the video at avid
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

It is a strange brew those people....

This link was put up on Avid forum actually - even more funny that. :D

If they can laugh at themselves, then there is hope.

Lol. :) I think every daw company that's not German has been subjected to that video in some humorous way. Doing it to a German company would be in really poor taste so a few have escaped it.

Still wonder what the point in that video is. Shines a certain light on their customer base. Kinda reminds me of the Reason threads here. And no, don't like the humour either. Just stupid.

I saw stuff like this, barely find them funny, but one about Avid and so spot on, dunno, it's not that bad :tu:

such a good movie, though.
Poor Bruno Ganz...i wonder how many times he gets accosted on the street with, "you!!! protools!!! youtube!!! AWESOME!!!"
:hihi:

this isn't one of the better ones, though.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

Oh, the movie was great. I just fail to see how that scene would apply to a sequencer/host program, or the company behind it. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with a laugh, and i also feel a little bit partypooperish, but isn't this a bit immature? I mean that's like using the term "nazi" for every intolerance you come across, or making fun of someone saying he's a nazi while clearly he isn't. I don't know, i strongly dislike the use of such a term, or such a thing in a wrong way. It's kind of dumb, sorry.

Personally this is one of those things that is done mostly badly so many times and than finally there is something you actually find fitting, dunno, it's not that funny, but it's funnier than other stuff that I seen and find complete fail.

I don't like term nazi either, but it's out there and used heavily in every possible occasion, tasteless, just to be there, whatever, nazi&Hitler, really tasteless....

Man this "Downfall" (Der Untergang) scene is so overused for a lot of internet commentary, it's not even funny anymore.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/downfall-hitler-reacts

Then again... turning off the audio, ignoring the video content and just reading the subtitles, the comments actually make some valid points. However, this sadly applies to other host companies as well. In different forms and measures (i.e. Cakewalk going "yearly subscription" as well, Steinberg adding more and more features but do not iron out bugs, Propellerheads closing their own user boards and still sticking to Rack Extentions, etc), but still.

I really start to wonder when the turning point for hosts will be?

The competition doesn't sleep - as hinted at in the video as well. I mean... look at Reaper... it's really fast for audio editing but is kind of walking in circles with MIDI features. You can even "mod" it to look and work like ProTools!

Image Line FL Studio? Man this thing has evolved in recent years. I'd be more than happy to see a similar piano roll and automation curve handling in Cubase - which will sadly never happen. Not to mention - the "free upgrades for life" route the company is going.

Studio One?! I still wait for S1 v3 (and it's demo - which I'm sure will be out from day 1, not as with Steinberg about 4 months later! Still no C8 demo, damn it!), but if the former "Cubase SX" programmers aren't totally disconnected from the world, we might(!) see a serious competitive upgrade compared to Cubase 8. Also, let's not forget S1's release cycle (released Nov 2011 - now on 2.6.x with voluntary fees if you wanted specific new modules).

Apple Logic X? Well... aside from the fact that you're forced to run certain Mac OS updates to be able to continue using Logic X - 200 quids for that powerhouse compared to what - 399 to 599 for other hosts if bought new?! And Logic X was released July 2013 - with no "paid update" so far. Heck, Apple didn't even exceed the .2 number yet!

Something is IMO wrong in the host market.
Do we really need more mini add-ons for a crapload of money every half year?!

When do we start to say no to that?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

to avoid term nazi you could use this guy :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ8ek-6ccc

Compyfox wrote: Something is IMO wrong in the host market.
Do we really need more mini add-ons for a crapload of money every half year?!

When do we start to say no to that?
Cakewalk policy is decent - move away and come back when you want - no penalty. This is communicating and a dialog with userbase.
- Ok, so we lost half of memberships this year, where did we go wrong?

Doing surveys, investigating how users feel about it all.

I like that a lot.
And you get bugfixes every month all year round - not a couple after release, then nothing until you have the next major release.

When a company try to dictate rules and userbase only option is to comply or go away - are they going to get away with that kind of attitude?

For me, that is the thrill of this Avid soap opera - will a company survive such a policy on a competitive market?

For german people I guess it's harder to see the funny part of the film, for historical reasons. Just overlook individuals in film, and put any regime that lost contact with reality in it's place. A bunch of people with their spreadsheets and numbers is all they know about.

lfm wrote:A bunch of people with their spreadsheets and numbers is all they know about.
Then we lost a handful of host companies through the years already - but their userbase still insist that "nothing is wrong" and keeps on supporting them.

YMMV.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

tooneba wrote:to avoid term nazi you could use this guy :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ8ek-6ccc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp1G5jfQHpA
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”