>>> PLEASE DELETE <<<

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

>>> PLEASE DELETE <<<
Last edited by 75ips on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hard to say, the main effect is the panning.

http://xhip.net/temp/pad_mono.wav

So, we know one thing so far:

The panning effect is equal-power (-3db).

You can hear an initial clunk, sounds like the filter starts out open and decays rapidly. This sounds a lot like a software bug although may be due to the voices cutoff starting out maximized from the last played notes.

The filter is almost definitely 24db and the wave almost definitely has ramp-like characteristics, in other words lots of even harmonic. It is a unison.

If you look at the waveform closely you can see what appear to be individual peaks. In order to undo the lowpass filter we need to highpass filter this. Unfortunately however our signal/noise is now far too horrible to continue. After applying four highpass filters in series the noise will overtake the signal.

First, we should undo the amplitude envelope using a compressor.

http://xhip.net/temp/pad_compress.wav

You can go ahead and try the highpass filters if you like, but the results I'm getting don't help at all unless a burst of white noise will help in some way.

After the envelope is removed, one thing that really stands out is the repeating slice of what sounds like dither noise applied over the top. What else could this be? Likely a poorly implemented PRNG in either digital hardware or software. It is definitely applied after the main body of the synthesis and could have been mixed over top in a completely separate process.

In addition to all that, it is possibly of note that the unison effect increases in detune significantly over time as the note ages. This could only be the result of a modulated reverb effect, my best guess.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

That's what I call an in depth answer from aciddose, nice job ! :tu:

just about any va with a routable lfo to pan and a good lowpass filter can make that sound
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Sounds like there is some strong chorus in there. And maybe a second hp filter. Could be something like TAL's U-NO-LX.

There's two parts to the filter envelope, the long rise and fall, and the subtle little "thwip" at the note-on that Aciddose mentioned.

Waveforms, I'm pretty sure it's two sawtooths, one tuned a fifth (+7 semitones) above the other.

Then play some triads in different inversions and you should get the same sound. Add the panning and chorus mentioned by others and hey presto. There may well be a low-cut or highpass filter to remove some of the "body" and make the pad more airy.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Actually, it might be one of those supersaw synths. My old P80 for instance does such pads very well. Little supersaw detuning, delay, chorus, in the eq bass to min...

Chorus, I don't think so. How do you explain the increasing modulation depth as the note ages?

It may just be coincidental, for example the chorus modulation depth might have indeed been increased in this clip. Hard to say for certain, but it sounds to me like a heavily modulated reverb used as a chorus.

The only thing lacking is the reverb tail, if that were true.

Then you have to question exactly what is up with the noise burst at the end. Sounds possibly like the clip was recorded, gated and the noise may be repeated due to the "silence" being repeated at the end when lining up the sample.

Again, hard to say, but may be something to consider.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

The P80 chorus and delay units for instance have feedback, maybe that would explain the increase. Not sure, I don't make heavy use of effects, but I have played around with those features a bit when I bought it.

Unfortunately it is past midnight here, so I can't listen to the audio at a reasonable volume at the moment.

So anybody know how to recreate this sound?

New URL: https://soundcloud.com/test_acc/synth
Beats Of The Heart - Reggae Documentary (1977)
Post-Dilla: A Comprehensive Guide to the Beat Generation:

Return to “Instruments”