mux for mac please?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

im afraid many computer musicians are mac only and wont perceive a windows only product as serious or 'pro level' etc etc and even though this is not a rational POV, catering to it will get you noticed. as they say, money is green. you can sell to those holding irrational opinions just the same as to those who swear by windoz. it happens every day, makers of musical products know that a large portion of what they sell will be sold to those without the talent to actually complete something close to what they envision. they cater to that market segment anyway, because there are big sales there. i personally dont see anything wrong with this approach if it means financing the stuff that really makes your creative juices flow. why do you think that FLS tries to make things look simple on the surface, or why do they add eye candy to the UI, why have an ipad version etc because they know it will attract a userbase. any userbase! if you aim your product towards pubescent boys youll eventually have some teens and 20 somethings making music and then soon you have a generation following your lead, as long as you are 'smart' about how you cater to their visions of sugar plums. make sense? heck we all had visions of sugar plums at some point didnt we? many who are attracted to music this way eventually do good i would wager. so its not a contemptuous act to 'go where the money is' if money is what you need. BTW the almighty j-dilla was an FLS user and you can see what he uses in documentaries and such. do you know what thats worth to the buying public who wish to emulate j-dilla?

you want more mux attention? be willing to give copies away at a discount. start email campaign. get it bundled with other product. attend convention. be sales minded. look at elektron for inspiration, i think they are behind their product sales 100%. this means going through the motions. this means networking with the outside world. get on a bandwagon somewhere. be willing to lose some money to gain exposure. this process is not a downward spiral, if done correctly. and i only say the done correctly part because its hard to mess up but it does happen. someone spending money on an ad campaign somewhere will figure out how to f**k it all up. guaranteed. promotion is more or less an exact science to some with a playing field and breakthroughs every once in a while.

do you have a facebook page? ever tried google adwords? ever had a booth at a trancy pants festival? how complete is your meta data at mutools.com? ever consulted an SEO?

ok so im sure you get the point or a point at least.

BTW is the origin of mux 'muxe'?

or this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_chord

Mux is a common short form for multiplexor. Mux lets you handle multiple objects through a single object.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/multiplexor
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=defin ... F-8&nfpr=1

It's also in the MU range: MuLab, MuSynth, MuSampla, MuVerb, ... and then there is MuX which can be a vintage synthesizer or a ring modulated sample player, it can be a multi-band compressor or a dynamically filtered reverb, and it can be almost anything, hence the Mu X = MUX.

ok i get it, its like Mu plus variable. nice one!

solipsvs, thanks a lot for your interesting post about promotion etc. I have been and am working on most points already, but that does not yet seem to work very well up to now. But learning step by step. To be continued.

bibz1st wrote:I know you give license to people if they come up with a good Mulab track on your forum but maybe there should be a One Synth Challenge type of thing using the Demo version, wider audience could mean more sales?
Is such One Synth Challenge something initiated by a user or by a developer?

solipsvs wrote:im afraid many computer musicians are mac only and wont perceive a windows only product as serious or 'pro level' etc etc and even though this is not a rational POV
I'm afraid that's right. That's also one of my reasons why i want MUX for Mac too.

I was thinking of the KVR OSC, it would mean releasing a version of Mux that was available for free.
By that, I mean a stripped down version, not a time limited demo as they are not normally allowed (although there are exceptions occasionally)
It is a monthly competiion and it is up to the guy who runs the OSC which synth is used but if "baby Mux" was 'out there' it could be suggested to him to give it a go.
The flip side of that is if baby Mux is perfectly useable then they might not bother getting ther full version.
Was just an idea, something to think about maybe.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

have you considered updating your graphics? making something a little more engaging and less primary colorish? 3d splash logo or rendering of your latest product to grab those gamers eyes? drama baby! works every time. madonna reinvented her image how many times? we were still buying her product when she was an old hag hahaha

what about banner ads in places like... i dunno. gearslutz? sonic state? pay kids to pass out flyers at festivals with discount codes on them. make them give you emails in return for some discount then hound them to buy your products. raise your prices! people generally perceive quality with higher prices. you choose your target demographic.

take an ad out in a publication. just to see the response.

once you join the promotion paradigm, youll see why other companies do it. im not sure its always a DIY thing tho. just a fact that its a common thing for companies to hire promotional assistance or an agency etc.

https://youtu.be/k8qqPjpOlZI

one thing is for sure. you gotta be hungry. if you aint hungry you aint gonna get the worm. if youre comfy theres no reason to go out in the cold lol

did you read the last posts i made or did you miss them somehow? was the question rhetorical? im confoozed. did you actually want advice on promoting your products?

Yes i read them, thanks, did not yet find the time to reply. About the graphics: That has been discussed here recently and i'll keep things as is. About ads: As you know you have to have money to do serious campaigns. I'm trying to build up with the limited resources i have. And that's not easy. Thanks again for your interesting advices! All to be continued.

PS: If i have to choose between making the graphics more gamy/flashy (which will even not be appreciated by all users) and doing MUX for Mac i'll certainly choose for MUX for Mac. I do appreciate your emphasis on connecting and exposure. I know these are continuous working points.

it does seem that you would like to please your friends with the graphics they prefer. ok i guess so. doesnt leave much for the agenda of promoting your products. too bad cuz you have some nice ideas. btw i was really only talking about an updated look for an ad campaign to try to grab more attention. if that upsets your current customer base, then theyre into your products for the wrong reason i would say, not to mention that they have already bought your product. so taking your position into account, i think your priorities are not in the right place for promotion. i think you may be stuck with what you have. ok its your choice i guess. so it does seem to have been a rhetorical question after all. you probably didnt expect me to come up with any ideas. you cant say i want more attention for mux on PC and then say 'im not willing to change anything because my friends wont like it'... i think thats the trouble with using friends to produce graphics for your product. so i was right: you really are making mutools products to please your friends, not to make a profit. this is why you dont grow. please examine that idea, im not saying it to ruffle feathers. from an outside perspective it sure does seem to be the case. btw there is an elephant in the room, did you notice?

Return to “MUTOOLS”