synths like virus ti formant/grain complex

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ON the virus TI, they have many cool wavetable modes like grain complex and formant complex, which have controls like F-shift and F-spread. according to the manual:
Formant Shift
Use this parameter to sweep the pitch of the formants in the wavetable by +/- 64 semitones. The effect is
reminiscent of oscillator sync, and can be useful for both extreme lead sounds (try broad sweeps!), as well as subtle timbral variations.

Formant Spread
By adjusting the spread of the formants, a very complex effect is achieved - something like an unholy alliance between a sub-oscillator and a sync-sweep could be one way of describing it, although the depth of the effect is highly-dependent on the current value of Formant Shift.
The closest I've seen on a soft synth is in ray blaster. I'm sure other synths use similar things, but I don't know of any. Do you know of any wavetable synths that use this.

I'm a Virus owner, and I've never been able to find a soft synth with quite the same thing. I actually think one of the closest is Image-line's hormour. You can load in some wavetables and access some formant stuff under the image tab. there are just a lot of weird spectral effects in general. Give it a go.

I wonder if serum has anything like this?

But man.. you can't beat the virus, still my favorite synth.

Wave's Codex had a formant control on the wavetable osc, but in practice it doesn't quite behave like the Virus. Nothing really does that I know of... haven't tried Ray Blaster though as I wasn't impressed by the demo tracks. Maybe I should check it as I sold my Virus. The truth is, while the wavetable function and effects were nice, I did not like the filters much at all and after a while I noticed that I was able to get better quality sound out of software like Codex, Serum, Mpowersynth, etc. Nothing quite the same as the Virus, but there was something about the sound of that synth that started to bug me after a while.

Now that I think about it, word on the street is that Omnisphere 2 will have wavetables and a granulizer. I bet it's again, not the same as the Virus, but knowing Eric and his pals, it'll be something special.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

that's so weird, i feel like I haven't been able to match it's sound with softsynths, and it frustrates me because I feel like I should be able to. lol

Return to “Instruments”