Sending NRPN to LinnStrument

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone had success in sending sequential NRPN messages to LinnStrument? For instance, to turn off 2 or more of the note positions in the main or accent lighting groups? Or to switch the lights instantly to a given scale and mode?

I have had success in sending individual NRPNs from Pd, but when I send multiple, such as the ones to turn off (or on) any two or more notes in the Main group, every other NRPN seems to get lost or ignored. Curiously, if I intersperse the NRPNs with Note-Ons to the same channel, all of the note lights get switched as intended. However, none of the played notes (offset +60) light up as they should.

...after more testing I find that it all seems to work right with a delay of 5ms or more inserted between NRPNs

Can you send me some example code or project that I can easily test this with?
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

I did some tests with sending large amounts of NRPN message from Max/MSP and they seem to all be handled by LinnStrument correctly. Some example code would really be helpful to be able to reproduce this.
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

gbevin wrote:I did some tests with sending large amounts of NRPN message from Max/MSP and they seem to all be handled by LinnStrument correctly. Some example code would really be helpful to be able to reproduce this.
Very interesting. The problem manifests reliably for me with just 2 NRPNs. I sent you a simple example to LinnStrument support. Essentially, a comma separated list of note numbers to be added to a base (such as 203, for main note lights) and packed with a toggle for sending to an nrpn subpatch.

I just downloaded a trial version of MAX 7. I will be see if I can get it working correctly there.

The problem has gone away for now. I can now send my LinnStrument a large volume of the same NRPNs as above without apparent problem. Toggling the main lights from Cmajor to Cminor (or back), for instance, takes 6 NRPNs. Repeatedly toggling this group of 6 lights at 20ms intervals between groups can apparently be sustained indefinitely. A backlog forms with smaller intervals that may take minutes to clear.

I suspect that this might then more be related to factors outside of LinnStrument. How are you connecting to it? Did you change the USB port or din midi device? Did you change the usb cable? ...

gbevin wrote:I suspect that this might then more be related to factors outside of LinnStrument. How are you connecting to it? Did you change the USB port or din midi device? Did you change the usb cable? ...
Yes, I think so too. I saw the problem with two computers (iMac and MacBook), directly connected on USB, no hub, just the one cable, always the same USB port.

The problem on the MacBook cleared after restarting. Although Pd was the only app running when I first tested, the MacBook had been sleeping for some days rather than shutdown.

I don't really know what cleared the problem on my iMac. I suspect that it was stopping Safari or a "not responding" software update process that I found listed in Activity monitor as I was preparing to download and install Max 7.

First time around NRPN and what to use/generate such MIDI messages.

I found this M4L http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/2203/nrpn-gen
and works great!!

Lemur on IOS i'm sure its a good candidate; what else are LinnStrumentalists using?

Thanks

Coincidences?
... and this came along

https://github.com/gbevin/SendMIDI

Thanks to @gbevin ;-)

Return to “Roger Linn Design”