Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

There is a slight discrepancy between the way Dexed handles overall output level per patch, vs. the way the DX7 does. Dexed appears to simply mix the carrier levels, whereas the DX7 would adjust the overall output depending on which algorithm was selected. With only one carrier, the volume would be louder than with multiple carriers.

If you have a DX7, you can try it: Do an INIT VOICE, then switch to Algorithm Select, then play single notes while switching from algorithm to algorithm. You'll hear that the volumes are adjusted per algorithm (or, rather, the number of carriers; algo 17, with one carrier sounds way louder than 32, which has six). I suspect it was done in such a way to produce a constant volume only when all carriers in an algorithm are set to full output.
My guess is that Yamaha's little sneaky trick hasn't been implemented in Dexed yet, so that patches with multiple carriers sound disproportionately louder. IIRC, the DX did not even have a "patch volume" or equivalent parameter; it was all done manually at the operator level or automatically at the algorithm level.

Just a technical note. I love FM synths, and Dexed definitely has that classic sound.

STV

Norrin_Radd wrote: Essentially, the knob is stuck on full, and I can't move it from the GUI. Any one else have this problem, know if it's a standard problem, or have a suggestion?
I'm using FL Studio 11 and have no problem moving the Level knob, perhaps a DAW related issue ?
:tu: All is good

Maybe. Cubase 6 64bit, anyone?
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

We need the DX7 II,cause the performances are the key of good sounds.
Like the DX1 the GUI looks like it :)

also it can't read dx21 syx for now

Because DX21 was a 4 operator FM synth, and algorithms are not all exactly the same.

Norrin_Radd wrote:Maybe. Cubase 6 64bit, anyone?
Be sure it's the official Dexed 0.8 build from the github web site.

Your is a known bug from the early beta versions.

what's left on the to do list? is Dexed complete?

overhishead wrote:what's left on the to do list? is Dexed complete?
AFAIK, it's not. There are still things to tune up, and some suggested features that the author assumed he wants to implement.

Among them, one that is promised for the (eagerly wanted and long awaited) next version is the cart manager and browser, which will allow you to write patches directly into banques, manage banques in the cart by name, know which bank is loaded (currently, you have to keep it in your own head, or you will be lost), etc.

And proper support for Mac OS X (both VST and AU).

But it is already very usable the way it is (in Windows).
Fernando (FMR)

DrewDale wrote:
Norrin_Radd wrote: Essentially, the knob is stuck on full, and I can't move it from the GUI. Any one else have this problem, know if it's a standard problem, or have a suggestion?
I'm using FL Studio 11 and have no problem moving the Level knob, perhaps a DAW related issue ?
Also Usong FL 11 and fingers crossed no problems either. so could be a DAW issue.( if possible try DeXed in another DAW and see if the problen resurfaces).
Music is the language of the soul.

The best music comes from the heart of the performer or composer.

asb2m10 wrote:
Norrin_Radd wrote:Maybe. Cubase 6 64bit, anyone?
Be sure it's the official Dexed 0.8 build from the github web site.

Your is a known bug from the early beta versions.
Ah hah! That was it. I was using an older version. Even though I thought I had swapped in the newer version. Thanks for the trouble shoot!
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

happy DeXeding. it is surpising how easy it is to overlook the simplest of possible causes. a process of elimination and observation is always a good thing, ,I often find myself scratching my head trying to resolve niggling problens as well.
Music is the language of the soul.

The best music comes from the heart of the performer or composer.

Hi Dexed fans,

I am very happy that I found Dexed and need to say 1000 thanks to the programmers.

I now would like to use a CC input to influence the volume of some operators to do volume and sound modulation.

I do know that I did this with my old TX216, but I don't find the appropriate settings with Dexed.

Any help ?
Thanks a lot,

-Michael

it would be nice for real-time control of Yamaha TX7 modules, with saving to dexed current
cart while saving to the hardware counter part, this would be nice for the DX7 as well so
that people don't have to go through a hundred menu's to program one patch.

Discovered a very interesting bug that I am pretty sure is a Cubase problem.

Created a patch last night. Saved it. Loaded it back up. All the settings were lost. It loaded as the first patch of the default sound bank that loads when I load the plugin.

The only way to get patches to actually save is to use the built in Cubase save patch function. The Dexed one doesn't work. That means I can't create patches to share with others because the Cubase built in save only saves it internally. I have no idea where that patch is physically stored on my hard drive, if anywhere.

Very odd.

Still love the synth. Lot easier to program than the original DX7.

wagtunes wrote:Discovered a very interesting bug that I am pretty sure is a Cubase problem.

Created a patch last night. Saved it. Loaded it back up. All the settings were lost. It loaded as the first patch of the default sound bank that loads when I load the plugin.

The only way to get patches to actually save is to use the built in Cubase save patch function. The Dexed one doesn't work. That means I can't create patches to share with others because the Cubase built in save only saves it internally. I have no idea where that patch is physically stored on my hard drive, if anywhere.

Very odd.

Still love the synth. Lot easier to program than the original DX7.
You can't save patches individually. What you have to do is create a new "cartridge" and then edit the patches in there. I did that a few months ago, and it worked, although I forgot to save my work once and changed cartridge, and allk the word done was lost. You have to remember to keep saving every time you do any editing, and BEFORE "loading" another "cartridge"
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”